Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #46
Behslayer

Re: Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

I was just trying to show that you can test your dive knife with all the lines you and your buddies are using in a crude test within one minute and have a much better understanding of both your knife and your lines. Remember it's not just you.. That tuna that was trying to hide behind, on top, and around me, was trailing my Dive buddy's shooting line, not mine. You need to be aware of everyone's line choices in your group. Especially with big fish. You very well may wind up helping a friend subdue a big fish, so if they're with a line that your knife will not cut you should be aware of that.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #47
kon

Yep good advice. I'm considering buying a small pair of cutters to dive with whenever using cable. I use Mako wetsuits that have a pocket I can put them in. It doesn't seem unreasonable if they're compact enough and considering a knife may not be effective.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #48
popgun pete

Lines that have to be cut may not always be under tension, so shearing action cutters are the way to go. They rust, so need coating on the metal parts with silicone spray to keep saltwater at bay. After the dive they need to go in a tub of fresh to get the saltwater out and then sprayed with WD40 to drive any water off. Whatever you use you need to be sure you can cut the cable underwater and with one hand. Your dive buddies need to be similarly equipped.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #49
kon

I pool tested the lines using the Abellan Albacore 130 with 6.5 meters distance to target, 170cm 8.5mm threaded Hunt shafts, 14.5mm small ID bands at 380%, and 5 foam gym mat tiles epoxied together for the target. I used the threaded shafts as-is without a slip tip. I took 20 shots between the 400# coated cable, 480# coated cable and 400# mono. 80% of the shots were within 2 inches.

The coated cable was easy to load and there were no noticeable cuts to the bands. I didn't notice much of a difference between the 400# and 480# coated cable. I had the same grouping with both. I also didn't notice a difference in penetration. The shafts consistently penetrated until the rest tabs and sometimes farther.

Interestingly the 400# mono didn't perform as well. I started with it and then tried it again after the coated cable to be sure of the results. Accuracy was comparable with coated cable but I felt more shots went wide. Penetration definitely wasn't as good. The shafts would stop ~12" before the rest tab.

I was expecting the mono to perform better since it's lighter. The 400# mono is 2mm while the 400# coated cable is 1.4mm so I suppose despite the difference in weight, the smaller diameter of the coated cable allows it to more easily move through water. Another possible factor that occurred to me after testing is my crimped line loop at the shaft was small with the coated cable but larger with the mono, although I'm not sure that would have much of an effect.

My testing certainly isn't as controlled or thorough as yours Majd so it'll be interesting to see your results.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #50
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
I pool tested the lines using the Abellan Albacore 130 with 6.5 meters distance to target, 170cm 8.5mm threaded Hunt shafts, 14.5mm small ID bands at 380%, and 5 foam gym mat tiles epoxied together for the target. I used the threaded shafts as-is without a slip tip. I took 20 shots between the 400# coated cable, 480# coated cable and 400# mono. 80% of the shots were within 2 inches.

The coated cable was easy to load and there were no noticeable cuts to the bands. I didn't notice much of a difference between the 400# and 480# coated cable. I had the same grouping with both. I also didn't notice a difference in penetration. The shafts consistently penetrated until the rest tabs and sometimes farther.

Interestingly the 400# mono didn't perform as well. I started with it and then tried it again after the coated cable to be sure of the results. Accuracy was comparable with coated cable but I felt more shots went wide. Penetration definitely wasn't as good. The shafts would stop ~12" before the rest tab.

I was expecting the mono to perform better since it's lighter. The 400# mono is 2mm while the 400# coated cable is 1.4mm so I suppose despite the difference in weight, the smaller diameter of the coated cable allows it to more easily move through water. Another possible factor that occurred to me after testing is my crimped line loop at the shaft was small with the coated cable but larger with the mono, although I'm not sure that would have much of an effect.

My testing certainly isn't as controlled or thorough as yours Majd so it'll be interesting to see your results.
More likely the mono is snagging temporarily on the gun somewhere and slowing and stearing the shaft .

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #51
spearq8

Interesting that the mono didn't do so well ... I would have thought that mono would do best! I did notice a large increase in power when using the stiff spectra @ 1.4 with the crimp when compared to the mono @ 300lb ... not sure if that is related to a effortless unraveling of line or if that has more to do with line drag. However ... with the stiff spectra ... it is totally unforgiving with regards to tension on the line ... if your line is just a little loose, you are almost guaranteed a band tangle. I plan to test using an Albacore 120 as this way I can move from 2 bands and 8mm shaft and then 3 bands and 8.5mm shaft. I think I still have those bands I made from the test I did a couple of years ago. Hopefully they are still ok.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #52
Castronova
The Conch Republic

The 7x7 cable can be looped into tiny circles because it is so soft and has very little memory. Mono on the other hand is very tough to make small loops with because it is much stiff and also has a lot more memory.

I would guess the 400# mono would be slower because the shaft is dragging much bigger loops through the water. The coated cable can roll in line much easier than thick mono.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #53
Behslayer

Peter Tylor did a real nice video of the differences between Mono, Dyneema, and Cable unraveling from the gun. The weights which you list in the beginning are a little misleading as those are weights in air. In water Dyneema floats, Mono, Floats. One other thing I dislike about cable is that it sinks. (You would never use a Sinking Reel line right?) But when coming off the gun this not a bad thing as the loops drop and move away from the bands.

Regarding the testing Peter did, it showed pretty conclusively that when using lines of the same or close diameter, Mono outperformed Dyneema, Dyneema outperformed Cable. Mono is relatively thick for it's breaking strength, but you can get Dyneema at 1mm and 400lbs if you want... but who would want that?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #54
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
The 7x7 cable can be looped into tiny circles because it is so soft and has very little memory. Mono on the other hand is very tough to make small loops with because it is much stiff and also has a lot more memory.

I would guess the 400# mono would be slower because the shaft is dragging much bigger loops through the water. The coated cable can roll in line much easier than thick mono.
Yes ,but cable is much ,much heavyer than mono , that's one of the big reasons you need a thick shaft to run cable , draginger all that weight takes a lot of energy out of the shaft

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #55
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
http://youtu.be/s0mu-LfAcQ8

You've all tried this right?
Definitely try that on all line I use with all knives I use... regularly. I've been using 1.9 dyneema. If I can't get my knife to cut with 1-2 strokes in a controlled environment that knife is not coming with me and needs some work.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #56
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Yes ,but cable is much ,much heavyer than mono , that's one of the big reasons you need a thick shaft to run cable , draginger all that weight takes a lot of energy out of the shaft
Yeah, totally get that Phil. I was talking about in respect to the results of this test. My opinion, after using cable for so many shots for so long, is that the thinner cable moves faster through the water than comparable strength mono even though it may be heavier. Most of my experience is with 1.2 cable on 7.5mm and 8mm shafts on 120's and 130's and they shoot with excellent shaft speed.

If you start comparing the same diameter than the weight will be too much. But the same strength, meaning thinner cable, I think there is a point where it's faster due to drag over mass. Might have something to do with how long the wraps are and how many as well. Anyway, you know what I'm getting at. Could totally be my perception too I guess

I also feel that mono's memory has a spring effect as the shafts gets closer to the end of the wraps as well.

I'm not going to go test all of these either way. We use cable because we mainly shoot groupers, snappers, and jacks around sharp reef and wrecks and need it. To each there own.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #57
popgun pete

You use whatever shooting line you need to keep your catch as that is your whole aim in shooting the fish in the first place. The other aspect is the line allows the shaft to do so, hence different matches are required according to the circumstances. You also need to be able to see the line, something that some fishing lines try to minimize.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #58
spearq8

I did test out the spectra 1.4 and 1.9 and also the 1.2mm coated cable and the 1.4mm coated cable ... all these I compared to a 250lb mono. The 1.4mm stiff spectra and the 1.2mm coated cable seemed to perform as good or even better than the 250lb mono in penetration testing and flat shooting. The 1.4mm coated cable and the 1.9mm spectra ... both shot very low ... especially at 6 meters ... shots were not usable.

I was using an Abellan Denton 120 with a 160cm @ 8mm full bore shaft ... this gun only has about 132cm band stretch on the long band ... and not quite what I think you need for an 8mm shaft if using only 2 x 14.5 mm bands. I think if I had about 6cm band stretch extra on each band things would have been much different. But for now I feel that 1.9 spectra and 1.4mm cable need good band stretch and 8.5mm shaft and one extra band. Surprisingly the penetration did not suffer too much (although it was less) but what really suffered is shaft drop ... with the 1.9mm and 1.4mm cable it was just unusable at more than 5 meters with the 2 banded setup.

What got my attention most is the 1.2mm coated cable. That shot very very well and I really liked how the line was always out of your way and below you (unlike spectra and mono) ... somehow that felt much safer. Also it was very visible and surprisingly supple and unraveled very nicely with very little loss of velocity. Accuracy was similar with all lines, but I somehow had the best grouping with mono ... probably as that was what I tested first and was fresher with less sloppy shooting.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #59
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Here's a few shots with the Albacore 130, 1.4mm cable from catchalltackle, 8mm red tide shaft with Sea Sniper slip-tip.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #60
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

anyone tried cutting this 1.4mm coated cable using Ezycut-style safety cutter? everywhere i dive here there's either coral or sharks or both, and cable durability for shooting line on 8.5mm shafts would be great, but being able to cut my way thru a couple of loops of it if wrapped up by a doggie or big Lutjanid being chased by sharks - i.e. with the cable not being stretched out nice and taut - is critical. The handling qualities and small diameter of this coated cable look great, just the ability to cut it in a big hurry……
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote