Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #76
Capt.Gene

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

I bet you have seen the Bert Moppy wit newish 175 Suzuki’s for sale on The Hull Truth? Asking $49.5 I think.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #77
CuzzA

I've been meaning to post these. I lost my dad a couple weeks ago and naturally it's been tough to focus on anything but him.

So, cabin and deck are out. We cut out the old battery trays. Must have weighed 40 lbs. We're going to lower a section of the center stringer in order to make one fuel tank instead of two with a manifold. I was really back and forth on that. I didn't want to touch the original stringer because this boat was built in halves and then glassed together, but ultimately the rib inside of the center of the stringer that runs the entire length of the hull will remain intact and we will beef up the new lowered stringer and create a new bottom out of nidacore that will be tied into the hull. This will allow for one fuel tank, one fill tube and approximately 180 gallons of fuel.

The alternative was two tanks on either side of the center stringer with two fill tubes and a manifold between the tanks. I didn't want the extra cost and complexity, not to mention I think I would have to constantly be conscious of how much fuel is in each tank to keep things balanced. And while keeping them full all the time would solve that, I see no reason to haul 180 gallons of fuel for nearshore trips.

I think I'm making the right call. I just don't see the benefit to two fuel tanks vs. one. If I somehow I got bad gas, which is extremely rare these days, both tanks would be effected anyway.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	238426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	238427  
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #78
jstbecauz

Send a message via AIM to jstbecauz

I believe that you are better off with the one fuel tank as well. Who is making the tank?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #79
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbecauz View Post
I believe that you are better off with the one fuel tank as well. Who is making the tank?
Scott, next door from Chucks.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #80
GatorNative

Sorry for your loss! Certainly a son to be proud of.
Very nice job on the Bertram.
The old alpha drives don’t look bad. Have they found a home by now?
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #81
CuzzA

Thanks man. It's a tough deal I'll never get over. He died in his sleep at 61. Way to young. It really has me angry.

I sold one outdrive and scrapped the other. Not a big market for them down here and I either had to move them to my house or scrap them, so I chose the latter.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #82
jstbecauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Scott, next door from Chucks.
Scott is a great choice.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #83
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Scott is a great choice.
Yep, he did mine last year and it came out great. Nothing like having one custom built without sensors. Just inlet, outlet and vent. With all the fuel flow data streaming from your motor to your MFD there was no way I was ever going to have to deal with leaking sending unit plates again. Simple is better.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #84
CuzzA

So we got the fuel tank area buttoned up. Cut the center stringer down to the rib and glassed it down to the hull, then we laid a sheet of nidacore and tabbed that in to the sides of the hull to create a false bottom for the fuel tank. Ultimately I'm looking at about 156 gallons... few gallons short of my 160 goal, but that will be plenty of fuel for my needs.

I'm curious if anyone has any reliable real world information on cold taring an aluminum fuel tank.

Here's a few pics of the latest progress...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attach9268_20180627_180059.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	238683   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_101916.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	238684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach8885_20180605_165021.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	238685  
Old 07-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #85
jstbecauz

The last one we did nothing with, this time I used an aluminum primer that they use on the pontoon boat toons. It bonded real good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fueltank.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	238688  
Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #86
CuzzA

Quote:
The last one we did nothing with, this time I used an aluminum primer that they use on the pontoon boat toons. It bonded real good.
Only a certain type of man would find the beauty in that hunk of aluminum.

Sounds like you used zinc chromate.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #87
CuzzA

So, here's a question for the board. I want to add a livewell at the stern. It will double as wet storage for wetsuits and such, but I'm curious about the best way to go about it. I'm certain I want it to be a permanent feature of the boat so nothing removable; however, I'm not willing to pay for a custom mold to be made so I'm thinking of going with a hard plastic liner drop in. My question is what is the best way to go about installing something like this? Insulate it? Glass it into place?

Here is one I found but it doesn't appear to have any mounts. What do you guys think?

https://greatlakesskipper.com/baylin...-boat-baitwell
Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #88
Wood Guy

If the water in it is continually exchanged with a pump there is no reason to insulate it. If you want it to double as a cooler, that's different. I would frame a support for the tank, epoxy coat the frame, and glass the livewell in place. if you want it insulated, I would allow room for the insulation, glue rigid foam insulation to the livewell, and set it in the frame, then glass it in. You can use rigid foam sheets with spray adhesive. I would take the trouble to make the fit snug so if any of the foam sheets loosen up they just stay in place.

Not sure if your situation allows for the above approach, but it might be an option. I'm sure others will also have ideas.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #89
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I think you need a larger live well to start with. Anybody serious about fishing will thumb their nose at that. You need to think about the ROI on your project. A future buyer of your boat may be a fisherman. You also may endeavor more in the future. That size wouldn't keep one net full of shiners alive. More crowded conditions requires exponentially increasing amounts of fresh water flow.
I would think about increasing the depth to fit most of your dive gear sans tanks, guns. You can then easily rinse gear with fresh water. You would also then have a nice sized live well to put several full nets of bait into for chumming/fishing at the rear of the boat, which is ideal.
I would insulate it. Why not? It's easy and makes it much more practical/useful. You could use the open cell spray foam being it would be so far above the water line, barring a leak from the well itself.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #90
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Guy View Post
If the water in it is continually exchanged with a pump there is no reason to insulate it. If you want it to double as a cooler, that's different. I would frame a support for the tank, epoxy coat the frame, and glass the livewell in place. if you want it insulated, I would allow room for the insulation, glue rigid foam insulation to the livewell, and set it in the frame, then glass it in. You can use rigid foam sheets with spray adhesive. I would take the trouble to make the fit snug so if any of the foam sheets loosen up they just stay in place.

Not sure if your situation allows for the above approach, but it might be an option. I'm sure others will also have ideas.
Insulating is a good idea and I will do that. Thanks.