Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
gspearguns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

two new builds..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	246864   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	246865   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	246866   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	246867   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	246868  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	246869   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	246870   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	246871   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	246872   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	246873  

gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,765
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Nice attention to detail even on the parts that you do not need to see.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #3
Mikel_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bilbao (Spain)
Posts: 411
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Awesome, as usual. And I am glad to see also some pictures of the process.

Have you considered using Torx head screws instead of PZ? I have the feeling that they give the driver bit a more positive bite with less chances of slipping and marring the screw heads. Y use them anytime I have countersunk head screws or bolts.

And I have a question. How do you waterproof the screw holes? Do you dab the screws in silicone grease, wax or something? The gun I am finishing now for a friend has clearly water intrusion arround the screw holes. I sometimes use wax but I am curious about what other builders use.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:10 AM   #4
gspearguns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Awesome, as usual. And I am glad to see also some pictures of the process.

Have you considered using Torx head screws instead of PZ? I have the feeling that they give the driver bit a more positive bite with less chances of slipping and marring the screw heads. Y use them anytime I have countersunk head screws or bolts.

And I have a question. How do you waterproof the screw holes? Do you dab the screws in silicone grease, wax or something? The gun I am finishing now for a friend has clearly water intrusion arround the screw holes. I sometimes use wax but I am curious about what other builders use.

Mikel
every single hole is first protected by epoxy resin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vijci.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	246889  
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,765
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

You can use marine varnish as well, just fill the hole, put in the self-tapper screw and then wipe the excess off. The grip of the varnish is easily defeated if you have to take the screw out at some future time.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 55
Posts: 2,765
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Beautiful as usual!
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:12 AM   #7
Mikel_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bilbao (Spain)
Posts: 411
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspearguns View Post
every single hole is first protected by epoxy resin
I don't get it... Do you pre-drill, smear the screw with epoxy, screw it in and take it out to let it cure...???

Because my understanding is that if you leave the screw in while the it cures, the fastener is set forever! (which is clearly not the case)

Pete, good point about the varnish. Will consider it for future builds.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:23 AM   #8
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,201
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I don't get it... Do you pre-drill, smear the screw with epoxy, screw it in and take it out to let it cure...???

Because my understanding is that if you leave the screw in while the it cures, the fastener is set forever! (which is clearly not the case)

Pete, good point about the varnish. Will consider it for future builds.

Mikel
Removing screws that are set in epoxy is actually very easy. You just get a small soldering pen and put it on the head of the screw. This heats up the metal and after a little while the epoxy touching the metal softens and screw will easily unscrew leaving a perfect threaded hole that is fully sealed.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:45 AM   #9
Mikel_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bilbao (Spain)
Posts: 411
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Removing screws that are set in epoxy is actually very easy. You just get a small soldering pen and put it on the head of the screw. This heats up the metal and after a little while the epoxy touching the metal softens and screw will easily unscrew leaving a perfect threaded hole that is fully sealed.
I know about the soldering iron trick but I have my doubts it is going to work with long screws. Chances are the heat will dissipate too much before getting to the tip of the screw...

I am a fan of Meandros LS mechs and this particular mech is attached from the top with three screws. The two on the front wings are usually short (say 3,5x20mm) but the one at the back falls right on top of the handle, so I install a 5x50 screw... It catches the mech, the stock AND the handle... By the time you heat up the tip of that screw, the upper portion would be red hot.

Will try on a scrap piece of wood anyway just to make sure.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
Dbrown
Registered User
 
Dbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 384
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Really beautiful spearguns there Mr. gspearguns! Thanks for the pics. Roughly how long does it take you to make one start to finish if you care to say? Understand if you don't. Appreciate the pics and the post.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #11
musubi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Big Island
Posts: 199
Re: Gladiator Bestiarius 100 invert rollers

Great looking guns. Amazing detail and love the setup.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com