Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
MEH

Central Coast Report

Last week I visited my buddy down south for my fist Socal diving experience. After a week of diving and some good times I decided to head home via highway 1 and take my time through the central coast in search of some good new dive spots. The trip took three days and spanned Ventura to SF. I found a ton of new zones holding some of the most massive fish I’ve ever seen, I’m talking 30+ inch lings and 20+ inch rock fish and cabs galore.

Diving some uncharted territory really made me appreciate how the big names in nor cal spear fishing do it: just dive the spots that no one else does- make your own way. Every morning I left the spear gun on shore and entered the water with only a go pro and a flashlight. Unfortunately my budget flashlight proved to be insufficient for lighting up the holes holding most of the lings and cabs so the video is mostly of rock fish or the occasional cab sunbathing- nothing special really.

A couple days into the trip I met up with a buddy and dove a spot that I had scoped the previous day. After a massive paddle battle against strong winds we got to a good looking zone. There wasn't a whole lot of structure, just deep cliff faces with flat bottoms. The water was what can only be described as crisp; incredibly clear and unbearably cold. It was holding some descent rock fish and both of us saw a couple lings and cabs but he was having gun troubles and I was just out there with the go pro so nothing was taken.

We decided to head in after a couple hours and as we rode the wind we happened upon a spot that seemed like it had some promise. My partner was over it and I admit it was a struggle motivating to get back in the water. The second spot was similar to the first, but there was a little bit better structure, more boulders and an irregular bottom that created more crevices for the fish to dwell. I took a couple dives and honed in on where the rock fish were camped out- at around 30 feet over a boulder field next to a cliff face. All the signs and my intuition told me that there had to be some lings close by. By this time I was damn near freezing and 30 feet was beginning to be a stretch but I did my breath up and headed down. At the bottom I found a nice cave entrance with a couple mini caves inside it. I beamed each one in turn and poking out of one was a familiar face.

I took a couple more dives on the same hole and tried to get some footage but I knew that my dismal flashlight would never illuminate the ling enough for the go pro to pick up on. I called over my dive partner and after failing to convince him to get back in the water to shoot the thing I decided that three days of diving was good enough for me and that I’d take the ling and head home. The ling came out to 39.5” (after much debate as to whether or not to round up I decided not to) and 20.6lb (according to a 5 dollar scale from Amazon), putting it at my second largest of all time.

The trip was a resounding success even though I really didn’t take that many fish. I had a great time diving some unreal spots and found more fish that I ever have before. I also found that I have (almost) as good a time filming fish as shooting them. Next time I hope to return with a better light and possibly a better camera. I’ll put up the video when I get all the fluff cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	194485  

Last edited by MEH; 08-16-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Broken up for easier reading
MEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
standish
Fishy shaft

Re: Central Coast Report

Amazing diving. Glad you got to experience it. Awesome fish and no crowds. Remind me again why the hell I am moving away....?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Namor
Goletard

That sounds like fun. Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. Way to get out and explore the coast,

FYI I find it difficult to read on the screen without paragraphs and breaks in the text

Jeremy
Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Lompoc Local
Errin

Thats a fattie with big shoulders. I like the pose too.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Chopper

Nice ling! Glad to hear the viz was good and the fish plentiful. I'm heading that way in a week. I hope conditions hold.
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Thats what the sports all about !! Road trip and fun diving. Thanks for the report.

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
VinWalrus

His head must have looked bigger than yours..... awesome post!

Thanks!
I work too much...
Cheers!

John Lynch
VinWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Spear n Surf
Waterman

what a toad
Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
aus
squid

Awesome!
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Jared44

That' s what discovering Wilderness is all about! Way to take it all in.
Jared44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
KelpOdyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by standish View Post
Amazing diving. Glad you got to experience it. Awesome fish and no crowds. Remind me again why the hell I am moving away....?
Why the hell are you moving away? Why did Colby move away?

Nice ling btw.
KelpOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
BADxxHABIT

Very cool experience!
BADxxHABIT is offline   Reply With Quote