Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
Spearin239

Re: Anchor ball?

On a side note took my SeaCat aka "CatsAss" out 20 miles on Sunday from redfish pass viz was TTB in 70' bottom temp was 70*
I didn't see a single red grouper only short gags and huge GG and cuda's
Shot a few decent mangs and a couple big porgy
But it was great to just get out and the boat run good!
Spearin239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #17
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

It does drag the anchor across the bottom before the ball engages and floats anchor. So if your over a big hard bottom patch I suppose it would do damage. Anchor in the sand off a ledge and you should be fine.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #18
kehloken

Basically all you need is a 5 inch ring and shackle that fits the hole in the bottom of the bouy. That's what I have used for a few decades, basically in the Great Lakes when you dive the deep wrecks on Lake superior the water gets wicked quick, and the waves are tighter together then ocean waves.
So you leave this on the anchor all the time, after the anchor set then you make a simple double tie on the ring and leave it in the water Leave about 15 to 20 feet of rode from the ball to the bow. This way when you're doing a really long decompression you don't have the line yanking up and down so much, the ball just goes as high as the wave will be.
Another great thing about this set up is that you can anchor in current here in the Puget Sound It is beneficial and very strong holding. a few years back when I showed the fishermen on the island Here. We are out in the shipping lanes in 140 feet And I hooked it to the pinnacle With a Danforth anchor. I had two boats on each side which give us 10 down rigger's with bait cages on them. Needless to say most everyone was limiting out in the halibut, all the boats drifting by were probably jabbering on the marine radio About us and watching us just yank in these halibuts. Because then a fast pace the WDFW flew up
to us and pull beside us, the first question was we want to come aboard but we don't want to make you lose your Anchorage. I said no problem tie up you're not gonna pull us loose.
That was six good size boats on one medium-size Danforth anchor In a seven knot current.

The reason I explain this is I feel that you can do less damage to the seafloor with the ball versus the bow of the boat with the chain up and down dragging it all over the place.

Oh and the other benefit is make sure that you have enough rode that the ball will go past the back of the boat at least 5 feet When you're ready to leave or if you have to leave quickly all you do is start up turn the boat, go release it, anchor pop up to the surface and you're on your way. Also I just go right next to the ball within 15' so I only pull the ball and the anchor short distance making it really simple and easy.

Now let's say you're still hooked to the wreck or got hooked to a wreck or a reef something and you can't get the anchor undone and you're not going to go back down to retrieve. So you use a smaller ball one that will go underwater easily yet enough to lift an anchor, they have this plastic deal where the line runs through it, the slot runs on an angle through the tube and you put a Bolt in it and what it does Is locks the line so when you take off towards the anchor the ball goes down and it doesn't come up it's underwater
Want to gets down close to the anchor it just pulls the anchor loose and then it just flies all the way to the surface.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #19
kehloken

So not to drag at all I don't make a big curve I just head for where the anchor was hooked.
And another benefit is when you're on the boat now the boat isn't yanking you up and down either the boats just sitting there in the current.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Like this??
Click image for larger version

Name:	ball.png
Views:	126
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	213896
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #21
kehloken

That is correct, the next year out the shipping lanes there was probably about seven or eight guys that were doing it. And last year I recall like 40 people had those balls out there with the retrieval system.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #22
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Thanks for the info!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #23
kehloken

I know a lot of the people around the south end of my island are all doing it also, and I show everyone when I put a mooring in for them also. But I think before I started fishing Here in the Puget sound nobody really paid attention what I was doing when I got done diving. and vice versa I figured everybody kind a knew it I didn't know that it was not a popular thing here.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #24
kehloken

You bet I've always thought it should've been in boating books, but yet they don't want to be liable For any accidents.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #25
kehloken

Marcus
As Always when putting something down on paper it never gets all the info out that you needed to say.

When you take off towards the anchor you have to stop when the ball is behind the boat and untie it and then take off again I forgot that little tidbit.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #26
tb_buc

Anchor ball = Miracle of engineering
tb_buc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #27
Spearin239

Thanks for the comment,
It's very appreciated!
Spearin239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #28
Jeff_D
Jeff D

We use them on the Columbia river when anchor fishing. They work great for that application. My fear, as mentioned previously, would be reef damage. Our river anchors have a chain that attaches to the base of the anchor and the rope is attached to the chain. The upper end of the chain is zip-tied to the anchor so if it's hung up the zip-tie breaks and you pull the anchor out from the base.
Jeff_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #29
kehloken

Correct Jeff that's how all plow anchors are milled out when they're made, fluke anchors have a ring that slides back-and-forth what particular anchor are you using in the riverbed,
the Danforth also if you drill hole in the bottom part of the anchor and then just zip tie it to the top snap zip ty, pulls it loose also.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #30
kehloken

One things for sure though I am sure glad that not everybody knows how to get the anchor two pull free this easily.

Because that would mean that I wouldn't have my anchor museum that I have, if you remember I went down and bought an anchor it Barview first one I ever bought, after you guys all left I ended up taking it back and get me another fishing license for another day that I stay there, so I still think I've never bought an anchor since I moved to Washington.