Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
trevspear0413

shallow water spots in pcb?

hello everyone,
i havent been to the forum in a while but some of my friends and i are going spearing in pcb at the end of august and we were looking for some shallow water spots to spear as well as some land access spearing because we may not have a boat when we come. any help would be great.
trevspear0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
firemedic247

Re: shallow water spots in pcb?

Contact Pat green (patmygreen).
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

There is no real land based spearing. You can do alright if you are highly selective and hit the rock wall besides landmark condominiums off Beach Dr (in town on the Bay). There are a few mangroves that will be legal, this is where I learned how to use a polespear and got hooked on spearing. Otherwise you can swim to the sunken sailboat off Delwood Point if you are really daring (I've done it and lived). It is just inshore of the small green channel marker about 1/4 mile out. There are legal gags every now and again as well as flounder triggerfish and sheepshead. Take a dive flag to keep from getting run over.

Those are shallow and land based, but I would reccomend a charter (pick me, pick me!) of you are looking to have a successful hunt. Could you be more specific as to you definition of shallow. I consider anythin in double digits to be the shallow end of the pool, but other call anything past 60' "deep". I is pretty subjective based on whatever you are used to. IMHO there isn't much to spear in PCB, with a few notable exception, unless you are okay with a 100' table. The exception being that the further West you run down the coast, the shallower you can get into good spearing.
PatMyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
gnominic
Travelling the south....

Send a message via Yahoo to gnominic

Pat is this sailing ship the training ship near where the channel turns left a little? The captain on the boat I was on two weeks ago said it sank at anchor....

It was good meeting you in the shop then too. Take care and good luck with your new boat.

-dennis
.... and see amazing fish ....
.... and spear them ....
gnominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

I don't know about it being a training ship for anybody but you seem to be describing it. She went down at anchor on the 4th of July several years ago after a couple of years of sitting at various spots in the bay. She was a very distinctive ship and quite a few of us had talked about contacting whoever was letting her waste away to purchase her. This may have been because at one point she was moored behind the No Name Lounge, and I planned on doing alot of things once I settled up to the bar there.... AAhhh the good old days of being a slacker!

Not too sure why she went down, there are a bunch of stories varying from being a floating crystal meth factory to a wayward drunk rammed her hull at the waterline. Those of us that watched her move from spot to spot around the bay for a few years are leaning towards the former. There was a horrible chemical taste in the water in that whole part of the bay after she went down. This is when a buddy and I swam out to her from Delwood Point. The owners beat us there in a small boat and were pretty damn rude and even threatened us if we freedove on her.... not that I'd be too friendly if my boat was on the bottom in his shoes. They also refused the assistance of the Navy salvage divers (they are trained at the base all of 1.5 miles from the sinking) who offered to raise her for free pretty much the day after she went down. All in all pretty suspicious and plenty of fuel for dockside speculation.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Big

Wow, I had no idea that was her history, Pat. Adam and I dove her a couple years ago, but that was when we were stupid and didn't know any better than to dive the bay on an outgoing tide. It was a quick dive...

The marker, that Pat refers to, is 13A I believe. The boat sits in about 25' of water and comes up to 10' below the surface. It is just west of the marker. If you decide to dive it, make sure you dive it on an incoming tide. Check the tide tables.

Pat is right, though, about shallow spearing here in PCB. It simply really isn't any good unless you get out in the gulf in 90'+ water.

One more shallow dive spot here is the Spanish Shanty barge that is north of Shell Island in the bay. It sits in about 15' of water, but you will need a boat to get out to it. A rentable kayak at the very least...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
trevspear0413

ok thanks guys! Pat what are some prices to go out with you and also we won't have any scuba gear. And the deepest any of us have freedove is about 25'. I'm sorry i guess this doesn't give you much to work with we are relatively new to spear fishing. However we did go last year about the same time and speared in the bay around the docks at the bar you spoke of i think and did very well(i thought) about half of a fifty quart cooler with assorted mangroves and one good size sheeps head. thanks for replying fast.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

My prices are on my website in my signature line along with a description of the diffent trips I do. To do anygood on fish besides barracuda in the Gulf off Panama City you will need to be able to hit and stay at a minimum of 40'. That would be for the Mexico Beach Carbody area or the tops of the local bridge spans.

Otherwise scuba is your only ticket, and it isn't as easy as alot of people make it out to be. If you or any of your friends need to get certified or just rent gear hit up the Dive Locker as they have the most knowledgable staff when it comes to spearfishing and the best selection of spearing accessories.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
BigSnapper69

I'm going to be in PCB next weekend. How has the vis been?
BigSnapper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

It depends on where you are talking about offshore. Anywhere from 15'-50' this past week. There is seldom any pattern to the vis here unless you are near the pass and its been raining alot. Its cold (60's) on the bottom which is of much more concern to me.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
gnominic
Travelling the south....

That's no lie about the cold water. I normally dive without a suit, but I got cold on both dives in 60 ft just two weeks ago. It was 70 where we went, so bundle up....

I may take my little blow up boat out to the sailboat in late august. Anyone want to try some of these shallow, inshore sites? The lifeboats, the sail ship, the jetties....

-dennis
.... and spear them ....
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnominic View Post
That's no lie about the cold water. I normally dive without a suit, but I got cold on both dives in 60 ft just two weeks ago. It was 70 where we went, so bundle up....

I may take my little blow up boat out to the sailboat in late august. Anyone want to try some of these shallow, inshore sites? The lifeboats, the sail ship, the jetties....

-dennis
Just keep in mind that you won't be able to do any spearing on the jetties. Both the east and west rock jetties are owned by the state park. Hence, no spearing...

Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
gnominic
Travelling the south....

Uh, no officer, we speared these on a wreck a few miles out....

I saw the biggest flounder ever on the west jetty, right from St Andrews park. It's a truely great dive. It's bogus they won't let you spear on the other one though.

I'd like to find where I can find similar conditions outside the park. Maybe just north of the park boundary or something.

-dennis
.... and spear them ....
Old 07-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
trevspear0413

Gnomic what weekend are you reffering to? we will be in pcb the 27th through the 31st of august so if you will be there then mayba we could get together and do some hunting. just give me a pm if you want to or just reply back with your dates. by the way we may or may not have a boat with us and there will be at least three of us. thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
gnominic
Travelling the south....

It will be in September if I make it out there. Unfortunately I have too many irons in the fire right now. We're making a comando run to 7 1/2 fathom reef off South Padre Island in Texas on the weekend of the 9th. Check the thread in the Texas forum.... It will be great fun and practice....
.... and spear them ....