Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #16
DrKing
Jered King

Re: Corpus Christi Area Spearfisherman Meeting

Dave... Great job at the Ascuba Venture meeting tonight. Dave spoke on Diving and Boating safety, spearfishing and promoting the Rigs to Reef Tournament! This tournament should be a blast.
DrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:39 AM   #17
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Excellent meeting recommend anyone who can make it come out!

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
troupe

Been looking for some folks in Corpus to touch base with. I've been wanting to get into spearing out here in TX (originally from FL and grew up with a polespear on the reefs in the abacos), so glad to see such an active TX community. Really want to drive down one weekend and get my feet wet (heh), are folks going out much this time of year? I need to invest in a suit and some gear, but if I had a solid connection and a good reason to start driving down to Corpus, that won't be a problem!

I also wanted to chime in on this thread in regards to OP's thoughts on a law change to allow spearos to fish in waters/times where folks already can with a rod. I live in Austin and do a fair bit of work up at the Capitol (I'm an atty and a registered lobbyist). I'd be glad to put some feelers out regarding such a change to existing laws. Looking forward to continued discussion and hopefully meeting some of you fine people here in the not too distant future.

TB
troupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #19
JDSapp

If you ever want to do a little fresh water spearing Travis will start clearing up soon. Feel free to contact me if you want to slay some invasive species.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #20
troupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSapp View Post
If you ever want to do a little fresh water spearing Travis will start clearing up soon. Feel free to contact me if you want to slay some invasive species.
I'd be all about it - you using poles? I need to get my poles over from FL, and the rest of my gear is down at our place in the Abacos so I think I'll need to get fins/mask/weights and a suit to keep stateside. I'm guessing your diving with a suit this time of year?
troupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #21
JDSapp

I use a little mako 75cm. Poles would work but you will probably get hung up in the grass and shrubs a little. Travis is suit worthy now till July, that happens to be he best time for vis in travis. 58 is the current temp.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #22
riggdright

Hey guys, moved to San Antonio by way of FL. Grew up spearing and fishing in FL and the Caribbean. Looking to get involved in any spearo groups in Texas but haven't been able to find much online. Do you guys still meet up, or are involved in any clubs. Ive got a place to crash in Corpus and am always happy to make the drive.

Thanks a mil
Travis
riggdright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #23
DrKing
Jered King

No official meetings or clubs in Corpus. Few speros compared to FL. Just looking for decent weather windows. Just keep posting and looking for rides and you'll start to make connections. I learned to spearfish in the Keys and South FL. You may need a different setup as diving the rigs is quite a bit different.
DrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
riggdright

Thanks Jered for the insight. I will keep monitoring spearboard. Is Spearboard the most common forum for TX spearos? What's a normal rig setup? I have a few guns and might be able modify.

Thanks a bunch
T
Old 04-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Anyone want to have a meeting text me 503-298-0502 dave

Salty Soul Taxidermy

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #26
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Ha my phone number was wrong! 503-298-0592 this is Dave

Salty Soul Taxidermy

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Old 04-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
pozofreediver

Hi all, I will be in the wonderful state of Texas for the next 6-12 months. I am in the Wyoming Air guard and am training to become a flight medic. Being that I am normally in Wyoming, I am taking advantage of living in San Antonio by hitting the ocean.

I am originally from California and moved to Wyoming in September. All my gear is still in Cali and I have yet to get it out to me. I got into free diving roughly two years ago, but this last year has been a little hard for me to get into the ocean. So I have one solid year of diving and one on and off year.

I started diving in central Cali, so no open water hunting for me. 5-7mm closed cell suits in the winter. Started with hole hunting and want to do more open water hunting.

I would love to meet some fellow speros and slay some fish while out here. I get weekends off and am willing to rent, or buy some gear. I figure I could find a hotel Friday nights and dive Sat-Sun.

I already have a 3 mm suit, Cressi 90 open muzzle w/ float line (it's ready for a break away if needed) all the gadgets (knife, lights, gauges, ect.) Composite fins ect. Again, all in Cali as of now....I'm working on getting it all back.

Would a 3mm cut it out here? Is there a lot of structure and is a 90 too excessive? What kind of hunting is there around Corpus Christi? Any groups of speros out there looking for a member?
pozofreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #28
CCSpearo

Hey Pozo,

A 3mm suit will certainly cut it down here in Corpus. I spend the majority of the year diving with just a rash guard and only wear my 5mm during Nov-February. I was out in March in my 5mm and was burning up! 90 isn't excessive at all, depending on where you are hunting. I usually hunt the oil rigs from near-shore to Ant Hills (~40 miles offshore). They provide everything from big Red Snapper to Cobia and Amberjack pushing 100+ pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapper.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	225551
CCSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
joediveguy
Water Baby

I'm in CC on North Padre. Not a free diver but love to scuba....I have a 25.5 Sport Cat and went out to 775 reef yesterday. Didn't dive but caught a mess of snapper with rod and reel....been meaning to hook up with some of ya'll at ascuba for their social nights. Looking for diving, spearing, fishing, drinking buddies..........I also have a jet ski out rigged for fishing and looking for people to partner up with to make runs to the near rigs to fish/spear/dive.......maybe one of these nights I'll get down there.

Anyone interest in hooking up give me a shout....

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapper.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	231274  
Old 01-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #30
riggdright

Hey Joe, I love it all, fishing, freediving and scuba. Grew up in Gulf Coast FL but live in San Anton now. Im go down to Corpus often would love to grab a drink and talk fish.