Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #61
SJ_Spearo

Re: Panga Importers/Builders

Ill just have to hit the offshore spots on a calm day! The mpgs are crazy. That first day where I ran about 35 miles I only used 5.5 gallons. Not too bad! Here's a question for you panga owners. I got my cleats in and I'm trying to find a way to through bold them, but since there are no gunwale caps, I can't figure out a way. How did you do yours? I want 2 in the stern, 2 mid, and 2 at the bow
SJ_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #62
SJ_Spearo

Got my leaning post set up, but still trying to figure out a way to screw it down since that hatch is there. Maybe I will just glass that panel down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170602_007.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	233764   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170602_012.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	233765   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170602_010.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	233766   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170521_013.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	233767  
Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #63
SJ_Spearo

Also installed my GPS/Sonar. I would like to get a better unit with a larger screen and sidescan or 3d scan, but I will wait for the price to come down. I did a shoot through hull with silicone caulk so it can be removed. I gave it a shot in a local river and was surprised how clear it was. Way better than any transom mount I've run. No turbulence showing even on plane. I'll see if performance will suffer when shooting deeper than 80ft or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170603_002.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	233768   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170603_001.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	233769  
Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #64
Wood Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ_Spearo View Post
Got my leaning post set up, but still trying to figure out a way to screw it down since that hatch is there. Maybe I will just glass that panel down.
What does the hatch provide access to? I can't see anything in the pics. Can you just screw the hatch down, then just screw the leaning post to the hatch? If there isn't anything you need to get to on a regular basis, that might work. You could still get access if needed, you would just need to remove the screws. The forces on the hatch from the leaning post will be down, so the screws would just need to keep it from moving around, not hold it down. Just a thought.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #65
malibujohn

Take a couple pieces of 1/2 inch delrin, width of seat by 3 inches and mount em, one across the front legs and one across the back legs, side to side. Use stainless flathead sex bolts to mount em and glue some 1/8" rubber on the bottom. On the front one you now can mount a nice stainless hinge and put a latch on the rear piece. Now you can just unlatch it, tilt seat forwad and open hatch!
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #66
SJ_Spearo

That's not a bad idea. I guess I can also just bolt it down. Honestly I don't see much purpose in it lifting up like that. I think id rather glass or all down and put two round deck hatches so I can get in there to clear out debris
Old 06-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #67
SJ_Spearo

Got everything settled and drove 8hrs to Destin. Fished all weekend and was super impressed. Ran 20miles offshore in 3-5s. It was wet, but not unbareable. Totalled over 70 miles that day and still had a bit of fuel in my 12gal tank! Super impressed!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #68
SJ_Spearo

Got the panga out on the ocean again this past weekend. Lots of improvements over the summer while stuck inland. Added a second fuel tank and moved both under the two rear hatches. That gives me a total of 24 gallons. Moved the battery from the bilge to under the console. Put in some hatches, added an anchor locker, and put Eva foam decking on the some places. The boat is super functional and I have very few complaints. Ran it over 200 miles this weekend including one run over 40 miles offshore. Cruises nicely at 26mph and total I used about 30 gallons of gas. I love this boat. It's definitely not for everyone, but its working great for me. My next job will be to paint the deck with a non-stick coating like kiwi grip. My only real complaint right now is that I'm having a really difficult time getting my sonar working. The stepped hull makes mounting the transducer a real pain. I'm getting some success with a shoot thru hull setup, but it loses bottom when I get on plane.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #69
SJ_Spearo

Having trouble posting pictures right now
Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #70
MeTo

Not a panga, but I just put a deposit on a 24 Sea Way hard top sport. Similar fuel use with a large V berth and all composite. This hull weighs 2850# and did great in a 2-3 Long Island sound chop when we sea trialed it two weeks ago. They are built in Milton NH.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:38 PM   #71
fpjeepy05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
Not a panga, but I just put a deposit on a 24 Sea Way hard top sport. Similar fuel use with a large V berth and all composite. This hull weighs 2850# and did great in a 2-3 Long Island sound chop when we sea trialed it two weeks ago. They are built in Milton NH.
24' Seaway gets about 3 mpg at 17mph.

Spearo was getting 6-7 mpg at 26mph in his panga.

Not the same.
fpjeepy05 is offline   Reply With Quote