Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
carrasco

When your Boat is Broken...

Looking onto the water from Point Fermin/Cabrillo Beach....
No one other than a Boat owner can understand that when your boat is broken, so is your heart.
I have been trying to get my boat fixed for the last two months using “Reputable” boat shops, carburetor shops, electrical shops, mobile boat mechanics and even myself (in replacing the batteries, solenoid and ignition switch) to get my boat to run right after in idling issue. Over 2K spent thus far (Eldelbrock intake manifold, Edelbrock high performance carburetor, new distributor with cap, rotor, cables, and sparkplugs and I am still dead in the water. I don’t really care about what it takes to get it right because perfect is where it must be if I am to use my boat!
The boat will be right before spring or else I am buying a brand new one!!!!
Now;
When you are invited on someone’s boat, think about these words before you cry about or offer $20 to come along.
By the way, the picture is upside down cause thats how it is right now!!!

Kick-in right or stay home with your... whatever!
See you out there!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A2A7A4E-7C9F-4CDA-8964-894B24A7841B.jpeg
Views:	493
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	244880  

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:38 AM   #2
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Re: When your Boat is Broken...

I had a boat like that. Had a new tank built, had the outboards gone thru TWICE,
$3500 later, issue not repaired. They would run fine, then start dying until
I ran back and squeezed the fuel primer bulbs. 3 outboard mechanics could not figure it out. I bought 25’ of fuel line, connected both lines, and an inline primer bulb up to my foot. Primitive, but it worked and ran great after that.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 AM   #3
PigStikr
The Stalker

Dumb question, have you looked at your fuel? Might have gotten some bad fuel.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Mr Main22
Adrian

Hey Mario, Long time no talk..

Try checking your VST pumps to see if they are feeding enough fuel to the carb,injectors. When its not idling properly that means its a fuel starvation issue. You might see the motor slightly (shaking).
Mr Main22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
swanny

Sorry to hear about your boat troubles, it happens to all of us. Gotta remember it's not a race, but rather a journey. Hopefully you can get out with some buddies on their boats in meantime. Personally, I live in Santa Barbara and trailer my boat all the way down to Costa Mesa just a have work done by a reputable mechanic that I trust. I loath the LA gauntlet when trailering a 6,000 lb boat but, hey the things we do for our boats! The first few years of maintenance were all trial and error until I actually found someone I trusted and even then, I hope for perfection but sometimes that's just not reality when it comes to resolving mechanical issues. Stay up on your own personal involvement in the issues to the extent that you can, utilizing all the manuals and online forums you can get your hands on, you'll get there. It's weird to say, but I almost like working on my boat as much as running it these days. And for crew contributions - a captain is always right, you should be getting fair contributions from crew and that is always determined by you!
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
Pfish

New fuel pump and new gas lines would help
Old 02-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
Looking onto the water from Point Fermin/Cabrillo Beach....
No one other than a Boat owner can understand that when your boat is broken, so is your heart.
I have been trying to get my boat fixed for the last two months using “Reputable” boat shops, carburetor shops, electrical shops, mobile boat mechanics and even myself (in replacing the batteries, solenoid and ignition switch) to get my boat to run right after in idling issue. Over 2K spent thus far (Eldelbrock intake manifold, Edelbrock high performance carburetor, new distributor with cap, rotor, cables, and sparkplugs and I am still dead in the water. I don’t really care about what it takes to get it right because perfect is where it must be if I am to use my boat!
The boat will be right before spring or else I am buying a brand new one!!!!
Now;
When you are invited on someone’s boat, think about these words before you cry about or offer $20 to come along.
By the way, the picture is upside down cause thats how it is right now!!!

Kick-in right or stay home with your... whatever!
See you out there!!!
Not sure what your setup is...but had a similar issue with an older motor that used magnets under the crankshaft that triggered the coil(s). One came undone and was out of place. Had to epoxy back down in the right spot. This drove me crazy for a while.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Scuba Fever

When you have THREE IDENTICAL DIVE BOATS you always have a working boat to go diving!!

I know I'm CRAZY ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200114-092308_YouTube.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	244909  
Old 02-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
carrasco

Got if fixed!
Damn circuit circuit breaker for the starter switch was under the steering column and was intermittently sending 7.5V to the whole system. We found the issue at the solenoid connector and traced it back.

Over $2K late and it turned out to be a $15 circuit breaker- “ain't it a bitch!!!”
I am not complaining though! Point is, the boat is fixed!!!!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!

Last edited by carrasco; 02-17-2020 at 10:46 AM.
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
Bob Ballew

been there, done that....learned that outboards are the best way to go...run them hard and fast to the islands, lots easier to work on and just bolt on a new one when things get too expensive...inboard/outdrives cost twice to repair, since both units inhale saltwater plus, you often have to contort yourself into a pretzel to reach down into the engine compartment...diesels are expensive and don't make financial sense unless you are running commercial plus the straight shafts eventually leak, even when you put so called "no leak" seal kits on them...owning multiple boats over the years has only increased my cost per fish to about $200 a pound....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #11
rnln

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
got if fixed!
Damn circuit circuit breaker for the starter switch was under the steering column and was intermittently sending 7.5v to the whole system. We found the issue at the solenoid connector and traced it back.

Over $2k late and it turned out to be a $15 circuit breaker- “ain't it a bitch!!!”
i am not complaining though! Point is, the boat is fixed!!!!
omg
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:24 AM   #12
Markio
Shoot to eat

Good to know!.

90% of boat motor issues seem to be fuel related the rest electrical.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
NaClAddict

Learning a multi meter is essential as a boat owner. Come down and you can tool on my boat for free.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote