Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #1
JackAttack

free-dive buddy needed- Early March??

Hey all!

Got a trip planned for the whole family to SD for late feb - early march. I want to hunt a few times while i'm there. I just got back from some killer months in Okinawa where we dove daily. That place is a dream. If you need and knowledge on oki ill pass it along.

I can scuba but would rather free dive. I have my own gear, gun and ride. Just looking for a safety swim buddy and someone to laugh with. If the viz sucks and the swell pumps I still remember some good spots to paddle out. I might try to stay near OB, but I would be ready for a trip out to channel islands!

I did a skim of the rule book: looks like the Lings open Mar 1 and WSB is all year? Anything else I should look into?

Thanks in advance!
JackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
LookPointShoot

Re: free-dive buddy needed- Early March??

All the usual fish species are open. Definitely know where the MPAs are. WSB is 3 fish til March 15, then it goes to 1 fish. My advice is to read the regs instead of skimming them and memorize the bag and size limits (if any) for the common fish you're likely to see. It would suck to only see one nice fish and not get to shoot it because you didn't know if it was legal. It would suck worse to shoot it and have it not be legal and get a big ass fine and possibly a misdemeanor. Good luck, have fun!
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
JackAttack

yep. I keep the regs with me and double check before we dive. WA state (where I'm at) is brutal on laws. You can only fish for halibut for three Saturdays a year!!!! sun up to sun down only...

Where are you at?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
JackAttack

Bump??

Any one needing a buddy for San Diego when Lings open Mar 1?

let me know!
Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
bryanque89

I might be available. I'm still new to the spearfishing culture though. PM me though.
bryanque89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
JackAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
All the usual fish species are open. Definitely know where the MPAs are. WSB is 3 fish til March 15, then it goes to 1 fish. My advice is to read the regs instead of skimming them and memorize the bag and size limits (if any) for the common fish you're likely to see. It would suck to only see one nice fish and not get to shoot it because you didn't know if it was legal. It would suck worse to shoot it and have it not be legal and get a big ass fine and possibly a misdemeanor. Good luck, have fun!
Flight lands tomorrow I'm pumped! Looks like there is a ten day license for out of state residents!