Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Dbrown

Carbon fiber fins for scuba spearfishing

Been doing a little bit of freediving spearfishing, but still 99% scuba spearfishing. Have been watching some videos and practicing breathe hold for the right viz day in shallow water when current is light and fish are around.

I have tried the CarbonioGFT Agguato in soft 10-11 a few times. The first time I didn't think much of them, but the second and third time I could really see a difference. This was all with scuba spearfishing.

Does anyone have significant experience with these fins for scuba spearfishing?
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
kodama

Re: Carbon fiber fins for scuba spearfishing

With scuba a shorter fin would be better i think since it will make you more maneuverable. The shorter C4 Pershing or Tank t-34 maybe worth looking into.
I have only tried them out in the pool during a club training session and they seemed pretty good to me for that purpose.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
jfjf

I have not used those specific fins, but I have used a lot of other freedive blades in plastic, fiberglass and carbon fiber.

In general, and this is a big generalization, I think a scuba diver might prefer a somewhat stiffer fin for scuba versus freediving. I generally use medium stiffness for both scuba and freediving.

What fins do you normally use for scuba spearing?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
Dbrown

Thank you Kodama and jfjf.
I used my plastic Cressi 3000's for many years till they lost their "oomph" so to speak. Then I switched to the Mako Competition Freediver fins I had won in a tournament. (Thanks Dano). As they are still pretty new, they have more propulsion than my older Cressi ones.
Both sets of fins along with the Carbon Fiber (CF) ones I described are about the same length kodama. So don't expect any issue there as far as length goes. I know I have to be more cautious with the CF as far as brutalizing them over ledges. My friend has them and he says he likes them a lot for free diving spearing, but prefers the plastics for scuba spearfishing. His CF's have plenty of scars.
I have heard different things regarding stiffness choice. Initially it seemed like scuba guys or bigger guys or stronger guys may want the medium stiffness, but then I had read there was more of a movement of favor towards the soft. I have only used the soft and really liked them. I felt like I could really close the gap on groupers I was spotting out in the sand that are tougher to get as they will turn white and take off free range in any direction. I'm tall and on the stronger side of the spectrum having been a life-long athlete, but still leaning towards the soft stiffness as of now. Will be interesting to see what other feedback comes in.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
jfjf

If you like those soft CF fins then use them! I think you will be hard pressed to do damage to most decent blades (CF included) when actually diving.

The long blades require a little consideration when entering the water, making entries in surf around rocks and most importantly when laying on the deck where tanks can fall and crack them or people walk on them.

The long blade fins should have a secure storage spot on the boat which keeps them off the deck when at all possible.

Scratches or hard kicks underwater are not a problem in my opinion.

I've worn out several freedive fins, but it has taken years for them to crack and wear out and fail. Generally I have to replace the footpocket at least once before a fiberglass blade will actually fail.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Dbrown

Thanks!
A buddy says he does have those blades in stiff and uses them to spear commercially and has been happy so far. My other buddy that has them in soft is pretty confident that the soft will be too soft for me. And my other friend that let me use his in soft and that will do some commercial shooting with them feels soft may be too soft. SO may look to see what my options may be to try some in Med and/or stiff and make a more informed decision.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
sacha58

Use whatever you like and makes you feel at ease. Carbon has a better return of energy, medium is pretty good , unless you look specifically for deep freediving. Plastic is virtually indestructible and cheaper. I have used exclusively C4 carbon for the last 20/25 years , and still have to break one, but I mainly freedive. BTW GFT are excellent too.
before, I used the Cressi. For the occasional Scuba, I prefer shorter fins. Also easier for walking on the boat or to climb the ladder.

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
Dbrown

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:40 AM   #9
CatDiver

I used the Cressi 3000 for a long time and switched to the Carbonia Medium for Scuba and I can definitely see an improvement. I'm definitely covering ground quicker and easier with the added length and whip of the fins. Also, as a bonus when freedive lobstering in the Keys with them (10-20 feet) , it's much more efficient getting down with them. Some of guys have had similar experience with the Mako fiberglsss fins.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
Dbrown

Thanks. Definitely thinking medium or stiffer now.