Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
YakHanded

Moving to Sarasota from Southern California

Hello, my name is Anthony Nuccio. I am moving to Sarasota from San Clemente, California in January to start a new job and am looking to find dive buddies.

I am 30 years old and have been diving regularly for 10 years mostly in Southern California and Baja. I own a 17ft skiff and will be bringing it with me so will be able to access spots. Also enjoy rod and reel fishing so up for that as well.

I do not know a single person in Florida and it will all be completely new to me so hoping to get involved in the spearo community. Are there any dive clubs local to Sarasota or Tampa I should look in to?

Thanks for any and all recommendations and look forward to diving with some of you!

Anthony
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
DNAPL

Re: Moving to Sarasota from Southern California

There are lots more, but these are the ones I prefer.

Sarasota Scuba Club - http://sarasotascubaclub.org/php/common/indextest2.php

Florida Underwater Sports is a nice dive shop with great owners - https://www.floridaunderwatersports.com
DNAPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
YakHanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAPL View Post
There are lots more, but these are the ones I prefer.

Sarasota Scuba Club - http://sarasotascubaclub.org/php/common/indextest2.php

Florida Underwater Sports is a nice dive shop with great owners - https://www.floridaunderwatersports.com
Thanks for the info!

I do not scuba, when I am spearfishing prefer to freedive. Thanks again though I will reach out to the shop and the club see what I can find out.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

I can't help you with a club but Sarasota beaches and on south are nice. My favorite is called Nokomis Beach. It's located on Casey Key. The water there has a beautiful aqua blue color to it and the sand is like sugar. Casey Key should be about an hour south of where you are moving.

Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
YakHanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Schulte View Post
I can't help you with a club but Sarasota beaches and on south are nice. My favorite is called Nokomis Beach. It's located on Casey Key. The water there has a beautiful aqua blue color to it and the sand is like sugar. Casey Key should be about an hour south of where you are moving.

Thank you!

Are you talking about for a shore dive? I haven't been but read that its different from California that way... vis inshore generally is no good except for every once in a while so need to get out to the reefs most of the time.... looks nice for sure
Old 12-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Gary Schulte

I’m not a free diver, just scuba. One place you might try is actually under the big skyway bridge. Be careful during tide changes. Any shore diving I’ve ever heard of was around the big Tampa bay. Lots of piers and some bridges. You might like to try for some crab too
Old 12-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Shore diving is very tough around the area, Skyway included where you've about 45 minutes max between tide changes (that's on scuba).
The near shore reef off of S. Coquina beach would be my reco. It's still ~ or >150yrd swim to get to it. The water would need to be clear enough to see the structure from the surface.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
heybuddies

Welcome to FL. What depths are you comfortable freediving?
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
YakHanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Schulte View Post
I’m not a free diver, just scuba. One place you might try is actually under the big skyway bridge. Be careful during tide changes. Any shore diving I’ve ever heard of was around the big Tampa bay. Lots of piers and some bridges. You might like to try for some crab too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Shore diving is very tough around the area, Skyway included where you've about 45 minutes max between tide changes (that's on scuba).
The near shore reef off of S. Coquina beach would be my reco. It's still ~ or >150yrd swim to get to it. The water would need to be clear enough to see the structure from the surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybuddies View Post
Welcome to FL. What depths are you comfortable freediving?

Thank you for all of the feedback very helpful!

I am comfortable up to 50ft with some bottom time but looking to improve that through a formal freedive class which I haven't done yet. Really enjoy bluewater stuff as well. Not a fan of diving solo so would really like to get involved with some local spearos.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
heybuddies

I sent you a PM. I live in Saint Pete and my boat is in Clearwater. I freedive as much as I can. In the summer we dive a good bit deeper than 50’ but this time of year we dive pretty shallow.
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
YakHanded

I am here and ready to go! Spoke to heybuddies and am stoked to get out but if anyone else is going I am always ready to chip on gas and help clean the boat or be boatie.. anything to get on the water!!
Old 02-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #12
Gary Schulte

You’ll love Florida for the ocean. I lived there for 7 years and the rest mostly in San Diego. I can remember many beautiful days on the water in the Gulf of Mexico