Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #46
Gaudi

Re: Texas Bluewater Safari Qs

On the mako floats, I have one and will be putting it through its paces in la Paz and the yucatan over the holidays , will revisit the topic when I get back
Gaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #47
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

Hey a good shot is always best! But here's deal winter usually holds AJ's at surface, but as soon as the get smart you could be diving to 100ft! Wahoo are powerful so head shots or tail shots are a must! Slip tips a must! Guns 130 and 3-5 bands a must! Floats and lift are TBD! Plenty of company's to choose from that's all budget driven! If your tank diving in rigs a JBL or AB will get ya a fish! But this is Jurassic, and safe diving and gear your comfortable with are priority one! I have lost guns, belts, a float, and fins! With so many scenarios roll with what you know! Never pull the trigger on something unless it's clean! Or it could cost ya your gear! And if all this didn't stress ya out! You still have to battle the tax collector! And sharks destroy floatlines! So rig your gear with cable from shaft to gun or Floatline if on a breakaway! Bluewater requires big gear! But that doesn't mean you need it! Hope this helps, and see ya on the boat! It's epic, and no joke! Don't forget food, water, bean bags, and a 3mm suit is gonna be cooler so recommend a 5mm and bring extra shafts and bands! And if you can an extra gun! Fuel ain't cheap, this trip ain't cheap! And Keith is the best on the Gulf! So his time is special as is his trip! Take it from me he knows what he's doing and if the fish are there you should have a chance, but be ready to battle fish and sharks!

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #48
H2OPirate
Vegetarian=Poor Marksman

Happy Valentine's to me,
Happy Valentine's to me,
On blue water safaris
Gonna eat shark sushi..

I will cable up and bring two guns. Giving my Kitto 55 four band a makeover right now and will need to pick up another heavy gun. My others are too light/short range as vis here is avg 20-30ft. Will definately enjoy the 5mm suit as I'm used to a 7-8mm here in 50F water, and thanks alot for all the advice!!!

Definately looking forward to going with a pro like Keith.
Oh and BTW I hate sharks...mainly because over here you never see them until holy sh%t he's right there. And the worst part is watching them dissappear 15 feet away in the murk and wondering where the f... he is and what's next.
The vis down there will help alot with that. Much easier to deal with when you can see thier body language. Any way I just poured my first track tonight on a blank to make sure I got it down before I re-pour on the kitto next week. Ball tip router bit will be here in a couple days. New shafts, slip tips, bands and I'm ready to sling a few shots out of this baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418008125483.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	212890   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418008137781.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	212891   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418008146486.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	212892   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418008155486.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	212893  
H2OPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #49
madadder

the overnight hoo trips are fun. get ready to be dragged all over the place, regardless of your floats. these are BIG wahoo. don't worry about seeing the sharks, they run with the wahoo here and are everywhere...not huge but a pack of 100+ sharks will be a cool experience for you. they are pretty good at collecting taxes. shark shields are helpful but might not be of value when you're trying to drag a fish up once it has calmed down, thats how i lost my monster wahoo last year. sucks watching them vaporize a huge wahoo you have fought for half an hour.
madadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #50
dirtbroker

Forget fighting the hoooo for 30 min. 223 powerhead and he 's done
www.petersonrealestate.com
325 668 0931
dirtbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #51
Gaudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbroker View Post
Forget fighting the hoooo for 30 min. 223 powerhead and he 's done

Whats the fun in that?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #52
dirtbroker

Depends on whether you are a macho dude that's got something left to prove by floating around in the ocean with a big fish on the other end of your string or your primary intention is to gather in the bacon
www.petersonrealestate.com
325 668 0931
dirtbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #53
Gaudi

Do we have dates for this yet?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #54
JDSapp

Any updates yet? We are starting to get close...
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #55
JDSapp

This thing still going to happen?
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #56
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyandJenn View Post
I am wanting go out on a 90 mile 36 hour trip with Keith this summer. I am taking my wife and my buddy and his gal.
I'm sort of joking...but not really I know this sound sexist, but i've seen it happen so many times with so many people....but the words "wife" and "gal" basically equate to going in early and staying in close to shore.

Either that or a lot of crying and vomiting while curled up in the fetal position while you spearfish.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #57
paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
I'm sort of joking...but not really I know this sound sexist, but i've seen it happen so many times with so many people....but the words "wife" and "gal" basically equate to going in early and staying in close to shore.

Either that or a lot of crying and vomiting while curled up in the fetal position while you spearfish.
not mine, i can tell you that. Flew to my friend`s house in houston coming from switzerland (europe, so about a 20 hour trip alltogether), arrived there thursday night (like 9pm) and got up before 4am the next day to drive down to freeport (1.5h drive) and take a boat ride of 2 hours out to spearfish the whole day. Waves were 2-3 feet and she was alone on the boat with the captain while my buddy and I slayed some fish. Her highlight of the day was jumping in the water, disregarding the 20-30 sharks, to look at about 30 dolphins from fairly close up.
She`s never wined (except the one time I was being stupid) and has never puked. Never had to go back early because of her, even though she was alone on the boat and had nothing to do.
So, not sure how often a catch like this one happens, but sucks for you cuz i`ve already married her :-P

Last edited by paolo; 05-07-2015 at 02:55 PM.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote