Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #46
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Re: Before FII...After FII

there seems to be this mentality with some people that these 800$ courses are the only way to become a good/safe freediver...i can show you some guys in miami that taught me how to freedive that did it commercially for 20 years and can hunt in 100+ that are still alive and never took a course...i'd rather have them as my spotter any day of the week than somebody who just started spearing a year ago and takes a course and is sunddenly more qualified than people with real experience and hours in the water.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #47
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
there seems to be this mentality with some people that these 800$ courses are the only way to become a good/safe freediver...i can show you some guys in miami that taught me how to freedive that did it commercially for 20 years and can hunt in 100+ that are still alive and never took a course...i'd rather have them as my spotter any day of the week than somebody who just started spearing a year ago and takes a course and is sunddenly more qualified than people with real experience and hours in the water.
Having done the courses, I don't think it's the only way... but it is a good start. Remember, you have to start somewhere. I think if you're buddies had had the opportunity to have such courses available to them 20 years ago, they may have taken it....... or not...

Experience can only be accumulated with time. Don't knock someone for educating themselves. No one it talking about qualifications, just education....
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #48
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
I was making close to 100ft dives last summer and I feel my diving has benefitted exponentially by actually understanding how everything works and how to refine my technique. The classes eliminate the experimentation and guesswork.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #49
KillerKanuck
Dr. Bluewater

I don't knock the pros for capitalizing on their expertise but the Manual of Freediving is a cheap alternative for a beginners self education.....
KillerKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #50
headhunter561
Rob

Can you guys clear up what class you took, and what it cost? I am seeing prices from $800 to $1500 and hearing between 2 and 4 days. Brian, Martin's FII level 1 instructor, does a 2 day L1 class at Florida Freedivers for $325 that is geared toward spearfishing. Is the difference Martin? I am sure you can't replace learning directly from the best, but is that the only difference? Is the curriculum the same, etc? I hope this doesn't come off like a shameless plug, I just would like to know what all is available...nice fish btw

Last edited by headhunter561; 08-02-2010 at 07:12 PM.
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #51
flamencoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter561 View Post
Can you guys clear up what class you took, and what it cost? I am seeing prices from $800 to $1500 and hearing between 2 and 4 days. Brian, Martin's FII level 1 instructor, does a 2 day L1 class at Florida Freedivers for $325 that is geared toward spearfishing. Is the difference Martin? I am sure you can't replace learning directly from the best, but is that the only difference? Is the curriculum the same, etc? I hope this doesn't come off like a shameless plug, I just would like to know what all is available...nice fish btw
Hey Rob,

There are several FII courses; Level 1, 2, 3, advanced freedive safety, basic freedive safety, instructors courses, etc....

None of the FII courses are "geared" towards spearfishing. Brian may mention spearfishing but they are geared toward becoming a safer and deeper diver, which will in turn, hopefully make you a "better" spearfisherman if that is what your intent is.

Yes, I think learning directly under Martin Stepenek has its price but in no way do I think he is "exploiting" his talents, experience and knowledge. If Martin signs off on an instructor, believe me, the instructor knows what he's doing.... Martin is brutal when it comes to training people. He doesn't cut corners nor does he allow his instructors to do so... I'm going through the mix right now....

Also please don't look only at the price, look at it as an investment that you will have the rest of your life and that you can pass on to your colleagues that perhaps cannot afford the courses.... It's not about certification, it's about education.

The curriculum is the exact same, whether Martin is teaching it or any other instructor.... Just like PADI. They have written a standard that needs to be followed.

Here is FII's site on what each course entails. The website is quite informative:

www.freedivinginstructors.com

Peace, Errol

Last edited by flamencoguru; 08-02-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #52
carliman56
Team Fii

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter561 View Post
Hey Rob, Martin told me a couple of days ago that they had a new spearfishing course, so I think is a different curriculum, the levels 1,2,3 and only freediving. Best money ever spent, I took the course twice due to bad weather conditions and instead of just doing the dives I took the whole course again, is a lot of information in a short period of time. I'm planning on taking level 3 in a couple of months.
carliman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #53
flamencoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carliman56 View Post
Hey Rob, Martin told me a couple of days ago that they had a new spearfishing course, so I think is a different curriculum, the levels 1,2,3 and only freediving. Best money ever spent, I took the course twice due to bad weather conditions and instead of just doing the dives I took the whole course again, is a lot of information in a short period of time. I'm planning on taking level 3 in a couple of months.
From what I understand, the Spearfishing course has not been implemented yet, correct? I think it's still in the works and will be ready soon.

Errol
Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #54
headhunter561
Rob

Thanks for the clarification guys, I was in no way criticizing, justy trying to understand bc it fascinates me and I want to take one as soon as I am able. As for instructors, I am sure Martin is awesome, and I have heard nothing but great feedback about Brian as well. Thanks for clarifying about spearfishing class, it is the freediving class I have seen. Havent heard anything about the spearfishing course yet. Very cool, can't wait to take level 1!
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #55
flamencoguru

Rob,

We'll get you strapped up with some nice long fins and off to the deep you will go!!!...... and back, of course :-)

Errol
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #56
carliman56
Team Fii

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
From what I understand, the Spearfishing course has not been implemented yet, correct? I think it's still in the works and will be ready soon.

Errol
I'm just passing on what Martin told me, Brian Lee is the instructor.

Here a a couple of pics of the results after 3 days of safe diving.

the best money I've ever spent, plus u get to meet 2 world champions and fellow freedivers, trained buddies who can save your life. good luck on the course.
carliman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #57
rtdean
Saltybones1

Send a message via AIM to rtdean

Lots of great info on this thread! Go with the courses! I can vouche for PFI and I've also heard only good about Martin's courses. As Martin was a PFI instructor, trained under Kirk, he's got to be excellent.

Rick

BTW, someone posted about urges to breathe. . which ones to ignore and which ones are OK. . .those are NOT a reliable indicator. When your body is down to 10% O2, the lights go OUT!!!! You may NEVER get the urge to breathe, due to your CO2 levels not being high enough. . . please take the courses!

www.saltybones.com - Hardcore Diving & Fishing Apparel
rtdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #58
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by carliman56 View Post
I'm just passing on what Martin told me, Brian Lee is the instructor.

Here a a couple of pics of the results after 3 days of safe diving.

the best money I've ever spent, plus u get to meet 2 world champions and fellow freedivers, trained buddies who can save your life. good luck on the course.
The guy in the middle did a dive to 7,824 feet! Wow! I will take the course! That's 237 atmospheres! Just kidding! I can't read his depth. It must be 78 ft.? IDK
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #59
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner

Quote:
The guy in the middle did a dive to 7,824 feet! Wow! I will take the course! That's 237 atmospheres! Just kidding! I can't read his depth. It must be 78 ft.? IDK
You get your money back if you don't hit a mile. (24:03 is the surface interval, there just isn't a space between the depth and time).

As for urges to breath, there's two different ones that occur within 30 seconds of a freedive. Neither one is related to a lack of oxygen.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #60
flamencoguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinmatt View Post
You get your money back if you don't hit a mile. .
I asked Stepanek once, "How deep can you get me?" He replied, "I can get you as deep as you want but there's no guarantee that I can get you back..."