Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

View Poll Results: What depth were you diving when the blackout happened?
1-10ft 6 30.00%
11-20ft 1 5.00%
21-30ft 1 5.00%
31-40ft 1 5.00%
41-50ft 0 0%
51-60ft 2 10.00%
61-70ft 2 10.00%
71-80ft 2 10.00%
81-90ft 3 15.00%
Below 91ft 4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
The Jewish Assassin
Jeremy

Please post, SWB depth

I think it would be helpful to everyone if we started compiling this data. If anyone has blacked out or knows/knew someone who has please click the poll for the depth they were diving when they blacked out. This information is invaluable in so many ways. Also, please post the account if possible.

Thanks for your participation!

:EDIT: Most blackouts happen at the last 15ft of your dive so the poll is your deepest depth of that dive.

!!PLEASE make sure you post the depth you were diving, not the depth you blacked out.

Last edited by The Jewish Assassin; 07-23-2009 at 01:04 AM.
The Jewish Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

Re: Please post, SWB depth

Off the top of my head most of the guys I know who blacked out or had a samba were diving past 90 ft. and I do think that shallower is safer but there is no guarantee that diving shallow will keep you completely safe. Too many variables.

Skip

( The blackout actually occured at 14 ft.)

Last edited by Gerald C. Perry; 07-23-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Gerald C. Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
dr.ed

OOOps i posted 1-10ft which is where my friend has SWB we were diving in ~35ft.

He had left the bottom after working a holed up fish; the fish moved and Pete went back down and worked some more. He had reached the surface; i thought he was OK; when i saw his gun drop. i "zoomed" over and lifted him out of the water; he regained consciousness almost immediately, but was disoriented. This was in 1966 South of Miami Fla.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
The Jewish Assassin
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ed View Post
OOOps i posted 1-10ft which is where my friend has SWB we were diving in ~35ft.

He had left the bottom after working a holed up fish; the fish moved and Pete went back down and worked some more. He had reached the surface; i thought he was OK; when i saw his gun drop. i "zoomed" over and lifted him out of the water; he regained consciousness almost immediately, but was disoriented. This was in 1966 South of Miami Fla.
Thanks for the report! Is there anyway I can edit the poll? I just added one between 30 and 40ft.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Bill McIntyre

My buddy died while we were diving in Mexico. I spotted him kneeling on the bottom at 90 feet with his head and shoulders under a ledge, and his hands gripping his shaft as if to pull a fish out, but there was nothing on the slip tip. I suspect there had been. He had shot some pargo earlier in the day.

I don't think he blacked out shallow and then sunk. I think he blacked out on the bottom.

If so, then it was static apnea blackout rather than shallow water blackout. If that doesn't fit in your poll, then delete one check mark at 90 feet.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

SWB at about 10 feet.

In 1991 I think, a buddy and I were diving off Wipeout Beach, almost at the kelp. He had a fish tied up, and was repeatedly diving to cut it out, as I swam over to help. I don't think he was really spending much time breathing up, just huffing deeply and going back down to 40 feet.

On the way back to the surface, I was looking down, he was looking up, when his eyes got huge, and his arms spasmed out like Christ on the cross. I dove down, grabbed him, and got him to the surface in seconds. He barfed all over, and couldn't remember what happened, just like in a dream.

Since then, we started coming back up with a thumb under the weightbelt buckle. Theory being, if you spasm, your thumb will open your belt, and drop the weights. Nowadays, I don't crap around with surface intervals.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
The Jewish Assassin
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
My buddy died while we were diving in Mexico. I spotted him kneeling on the bottom at 90 feet with his head and shoulders under a ledge, and his hands gripping his shaft as if to pull a fish out, but there was nothing on the slip tip. I suspect there had been. He had shot some pargo earlier in the day.

I don't think he blacked out shallow and then sunk. I think he blacked out on the bottom.

If so, then it was static apnea blackout rather than shallow water blackout. If that doesn't fit in your poll, then delete one check mark at 90 feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post
SWB at about 10 feet.

In 1991 I think, a buddy and I were diving off Wipeout Beach, almost at the kelp. He had a fish tied up, and was repeatedly diving to cut it out, as I swam over to help. I don't think he was really spending much time breathing up, just huffing deeply and going back down to 40 feet.

On the way back to the surface, I was looking down, he was looking up, when his eyes got huge, and his arms spasmed out like Christ on the cross. I dove down, grabbed him, and got him to the surface in seconds. He barfed all over, and couldn't remember what happened, just like in a dream.

Since then, we started coming back up with a thumb under the weightbelt buckle. Theory being, if you spasm, your thumb will open your belt, and drop the weights. Nowadays, I don't crap around with surface intervals.
Wow thanks for the input! Bill, your case isnt SWB per say but I think the info should still go in the polls. o' Cino, I would like to classify your case as 40ft because that is the depth he was going down to.

How do I modify the polls?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
fishSTICKer916

This is all really good information. It scares me, but also make me more aware and cautious of the precautions i need to take. I think a certain amount of fear is a good to have in this sport, keeps you on your toes.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.
http://www.vimeo.com/2060317

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

fishSTICKer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
xstephenx

I was doing some line diving on a marked line. The marker was supposedly at 30' because we were still doing warm up dives. One of the other people I was diving with (Dam, I think he tried to kill me ) dove down before me. We were just using a rope to mark the line and I think he caught the rope and it came down the line a little bit further with him. I was thinking I was still doing a 30' warm up dive, so I dove down to the marker and planned to stay there for a few contractions. I got 5-6 good contractions and figured it was time to head back up. Unfortunately as I was heading back I kept realizing that it was taking a long freaking time to get back to the surface. I broke the surface and, apparently, took my first breath. After that I just remember having 3 guys within inches of my face and I was wondering what happened. I am just glad that Dam was there to grab me.

I don't think that depth makes that much of a difference assuming you are below 30'. I think it all depends on how much you are going to push it. You can push it at 30' to the point where you are just going hypoxic and then ascending to 10-15' you will be severely hypoxic (severely being relative). When I am spearing I try to never really get to the contraction stage, and if that means I need to limit my bottom time to 1-1:30 that is fine with me, that way I know that I am not going to have a problem coming back.
xstephenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
O2 Deprived

I was doing a 41 meter ( 138ft) dive but bo'd on the way back up 1 meter from the surface. Most black outs occur on or near the surface even when doing deep dives. I don't remember anything but suddenly woke up on my back on the surface supported by my safety diver who had pulled me up.
This occured during training for a competiton and there were numerous occurances amongst the competitors.
Always be safe!
O2 Deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

I've been a Mountain Guide and on a High-Alt SAR Team for more than 15 years. Every spring a publication comes out of the AAC, entitled ANAM..Accidents in North American Mountaineering, which addresses in prose, data sheets, and locality of accidents/incidents. This information is a must read for Mountain Professionals and Recreational alike. Other countries also have similar publications.

Is there anything similar for Freediving? If not, I would be keenly interested in establishing this info. for North America.

Please PM, Cheers!

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Straightup

Diving 130 but blacked out at the surface.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
Steve Bennett

My account is posted on here... 70-80ft on the last dive of a long day.
Steve Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #14
dr.ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post
I've been a Mountain Guide and on a High-Alt SAR Team for more than 15 years. Every spring a publication comes out of the AAC, entitled ANAM..Accidents in North American Mountaineering, which addresses in prose, data sheets, and locality of accidents/incidents. This information is a must read for Mountain Professionals and Recreational alike. Other countries also have similar publications.

Is there anything similar for Freediving? If not, I would be keenly interested in establishing this info. for North America.

Please PM, Cheers!
Isn't DAN doing a survey on SWB?
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER

4 sambas very mild though when you see stars all around 90 to 100 ft dives trying to hard