Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #16
Kelly505

Re: Inlet Knowledge

Check out new website www.marinas.com it is free and has some great aerial shots of marinas as well as inlets (I only looked at FLorida and Bahamas one, but they are great.)

Enjoy.
Kelly505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #17
Bubbles
SSI-OWI

Very nice!
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
sir spearos

Send a message via AIM to sir spearos

sup bro good tip...I'm actually looking for a spot since I'm going to be doing some shore diving..... so what about sebastion?
sir spearos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
Elvin
Caribbean Spearhead

Send a message via MSN to Elvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsy View Post
Excellent idea and thanks for starting this. I am going to lock the thread. There may be some editing as more information comes in to keep everything condensed. Thanks again for the great idea!

I'll see about putting some info up for Fort Myers!
bigssy:

Can you put some info of ziguatanejo better ?!!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
islandwheels

Send a message via Yahoo to islandwheels

To whom it may concern,
I've been out the pass in panama city (near St Andrews Park), out going tide and unusally big seas maybe 12' rolling in but was in fixed keel sailboat under sail with no problem, don't think I would done it in a power boat.
Been out Ponce inlet once in same sailboat on nice day without even a thought.
As of late been taking my panga out Sebestian and Ft Pierce actually unless it's the dog days of summer where seas are flat, Sebestian always seems angry to get in or out of, as probably true of Ft Pierce as well.

last time I went out Ft Pierce it was nice day but on incoming and it wasn't fun especially for a newer passenger.

Jupiter inlet went out on a flat day without a second thought, but have heard negative comments about it.

Lastly, St Lucie inlet. Little experience with but came from offshore with about 8' rollers stacking up in the inlet, but tide was incoming so was doable, even when I killed engine accidently (key hangs out over edge of counsel a little), big walls of water pushed us right thru without a hitch, right past water patrol who was hang'n at entrance (tucked back out current).
islandwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
never2deep
Karma Biatch!!!

Matanzas Inlet........its a fun inlet!

Being that the sand bar is constantly moving due to the strong currents and frequent north easterns, my path out to sea is never the same.

It is a difficult inlet to shoot, if you get stuck on the sand bar, you can say good by to your boat (though some get lucky.)

However, its well worth the risk.

There is alot of history to this inlet...here is some I copied and pasted from St.Augustine.com.....

Pedro Menendez de Aviles established the base camp that grew into St. Augustine after his first encounter with the French near Fort Caroline.

St. Augustine was well located. It commanded the entrance from the ocean and was surrounded by water on three sides. The only weakness in the armor was Matanzas Inlet. If an enemy ship could cross the bar into the Matanzas River, it could sail up the Matanzas River to the San Sebastian and attack St. Augustine from the rear.

Here in 1565 Menendez killed over 200 French Huguenots who had sailed from Ft. Caroline to attack St. Augustine. "Matanzas" is the Spanish word for slaughters.
The hurricane that struck Florida's northeast coast in September 1565 bore no colorful name and gave no advance warning of its coming. But for this interference of nature, the history of this region might well have been different, for it was here in the aftermath of that storm that Spain crushed the French attempt to control Florida and began the continued occupation of this site.

Throughout the late 16th century, France was wracked by religious warfare between Catholics and Protestants (Huguenots). In the hope of uniting his countrymen against a common enemy, Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, leader of the Huguenots, sent Jean Ribault, also a Huguenot, to establish bases within Spanish America in the name of the King of France.

His first attempt in 1562 at Charlesfort, on present-day Parris Island near Beaufort, South Carolina, failed in less than a year. Two years later, a second expedition under Ribault's second in command, Rene de Laudonniere, built Fort Caroline on the St. Johns River.

The Spanish, who claimed ownership of Florida going back to the explorations of Juan Ponce de Leon in 1513, were alarmed by news of the French colony. Just as repugnant to the Spaniards was the fact that almost all of these French colonists were Huguenots, for the Spanish regarded Protestants as heretics.

Fort Caroline also threatened the route of merchantmen and treasure galleons returning to Spain from the Caribbean via the Gulf Stream just off the coast of Florida. The French already had a long history of plundering Spanish ships, and in fact, Ribault was known as one of their most successful corsairs.

To remove the twin threats of French encroachment and of Protestant heresy, King Philip II of Spain dispatched Pedro Menendez de Aviles, an able seaman and devout Catholic, to rid Florida of this French menace.

Enroute, the Spanish encountered a fierce storm. Only two of the seventeen ships that left Cadiz arrived safely in Puerto Rico. He was able to obtain three more small ships, and headed north. On August 28, 1565 Menendez sighted Cape Canaveral. Coincidentally, this was the same day that five ships commanded by Jean Ribault reached Fort Caroline with reinforcements.

Menendez turned north and followed the coast looking for the French. On September 5 his small fleet arrived at the St. Johns River. Although the Spanish were outnumbered, words were exchanged, and a few shots were fired.

Menendez then sailed south to a small inlet he had noticed on the voyage north, a place where he could find refuge and make plans to comply with the King's order "to burn and hang the Lutheran French."

On September 8, he entered this inlet and founded a town near the site of a Timucuan Indian village. He named his settlement "St. Augustine" after the saint honored in the church calendar on August 28, the day on which he had first sighted Florida.

As the Spanish began building St. Augustine, the French plotted an attack. Ribault reasoned that it was best to take the initiative while he enjoyed numerical superiority. So with 500 men in five ships, he left Fort Caroline on September 11 against the advice of Laudonniere who warned about storms and the possibility of a Spanish attack on Fort Caroline.This fear proved to be prophetic. Just as the French were about to attack St. Augustine, they were hit by a storm that drove their ships south, out of control, along the coast.

Taking advantage of the weather, Menendez marched his men north to Fort Caroline through a driving rain. They easily captured the lightly-guarded fort and killed 130 civilians and soldiers who had not accompanied Ribault. They claimed the fort for Spain and renamed it Fort San Mateo. The women and children were sent by ship to Puerto Rico. A few Frenchmen, including Laudonniere and the artist Le Moyne, had managed to board a ship and escape to France. No Spanish soldier was killed in this attack.

Meanwhile, the French ships were driven against the shore and wrecked, some near present-day Daytona Beach and others at Cape Canaveral. The survivors started north on foot toward Fort Caroline only to be stopped at an inlet south of St. Augustine.

Menendez led about 70 Spanish soldiers to the inlet and convinced the French that their only hope was to allow themselves to be taken prisoner. Never promising to spare their lives, Menendez said he would do to them whatever God directed him to do. Famished and exhausted, the French surrendered. The Spanish ferried them across the inlet in small groups and led them into the dunes where they were killed. In this first wave 111 died, and 16 were spared. Menendez reportedly told the French that he was killing them not because
they were French but because they were Luteranos, the Spanish term for all Protestants.

The rest of the Frenchmen, including Jean Ribault, who had been shipwrecked at Cape Canaveral, arrived at the inlet twelve days later on October 11. The Spanish once again convinced these men to surrender, promising to ferry them across the inlet the following morning. During the night, half the French had second thoughts, and fled to the south. The next morning, those who remained were ferried across the inlet, led into the dunes and suffered the same fate as those who had come before. In this second group, 134 were killed and another 16 spared. A few weeks later, Menendez sought out those Frenchmen who had fled south. Some escaped to the Indians, but those who were captured were sent as prisoners to Havana, Cuba. Matanzas had received its name--the Spanish word for "slaughters".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1126rr.jpg
Views:	1451
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	84866  

Only you can make life worth living
never2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #22
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

I have surfed several epic days right smack in the middle of Matanzas inlet. Unless that place is nearly flat, I'm sure its a royal bitch to get out. Seemed like to me there never was a well defined channel.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #23
padiwagon

A Royal bitch is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!We(never2deep) and myself have actually drifted around outside the inlet for 20 min. trying to decide if its even do-able !!!!!!
We really dont have a choice though.next inlet is 10 miles up the beach and then another 15 mile run back to our ramp...........our NEW system is to just shut your eyes ...TIGHT......point the boat in the general direction of the bridge, twist the 250 yama up to 7 grand and go balls out west!!!!!!!!!!!its worked well..........so far!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #24
dnmthws37
Elite User

anyone gunna do one on the manasquan inlet?
dnmthws37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
Aimrite Tko
Broward Longfins Member

seems like i was there yesterday, looks like it atleast.
Aimrite Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
salvor6

Seems like every time I go out Sebastian Inlet there are 8 foot rollers comming in.
salvor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #27
hoogdiver

The matanzas inlet is aweful. im not sure how any boat navigates it. About three weeks ago me and some friends tried to bring my 17 ft boat in and nearly sunk it. we were riding a wave in and it broke down and we hit the sand bar at about 20 mph and nearly broke the motor off the transom. We somehow turned the boat around and took some four footers over the bow and managed to escape just before sinking. We made the 15 min ride north to the other inlet and called someone to pick us up.
hoogdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
Money $hot

Yes, Matanzas sucks on its best day. St Augustine also gets sporty sometimes.
Money $hot is offline   Reply With Quote