Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
DvoRaully

Gaviota

Anyone ever spearfish here? Thinking about heading that way this Saturday. Let me know if anyone has been out there. Just curious to see if it's worth checking out for a new b.
DvoRaully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
DvoRaully

Re: Gaviota

If you have any feedback about this place or near it. I would appreciate it.
DvoRaully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Lompoc Local
Errin

Will depend on conditions. Super windy along the coast the last few days I bet you couldn't see you hand in front of your face right now. If the wind persists, it will not be worth your time.

Keep your eye on the forecast and your fingers crossed.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
Mikeycc0023

I dove it once while doing a surf trip. Tons of purple urchins, no kelp. I did not see any fish althou i think that was just my experience. Im sure there are some WSB out there. Good luck
Mikeycc0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
RLank

There's usually a kelp bed on the outside (not sure with the warm H20 temps this year). That being said while there on a surf trip I saw the commercial guys come in and throw a gill net around it 2/3 days I was there.

-Ryan
RLank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Namor
Goletard

Lompton local is right, and even if it is better condition wise it might be better to dive down the coast from there. Refugio might be a better bet as far as easy acces in the area and the chance to encounter a game fish

Jeremy
Old 04-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Big_Berg

Wind has been horrible...
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
Sanny

I thought that whole area was off limits to the commercial guys to two miles out. They do come into the cove at Cojo (which in an MPA) and check the surf and work with their long lines (no idea what they're doing).
I've dove the place a few times on surf trips too. If you're in a smaller boat and there is any real wind in the forecast, it can get pretty tense coming back in the following seas. And now for some good advice: hug the cliffs as much as the surf will allow if the conditions disintegrate and the winds are very strong offshore. This is especially true from Rights and Lefts down to the pier. The most important thing is to come back safe.
Aaron
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
SeaZen

I know it well. I have dove there plenty, both scuba and free. Sharkiest place around and most of the time very dark water. I recovered a dive buddy's fish, or should I say only the 26# head. There were 5 sharks tearing it apart, small but hungry little devils.
Best time to dive the Ranch is late summer, August, September, winds drop, visibility is better. The MPA line is west of San Augustine, good H&L fishing and safer than diving. Unless you can beach launch, it's a long way to go for brown water. $495,000 will get you a beach pass though!
SeaZen is offline   Reply With Quote