Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:13 AM   #1
humpinit

First build.

I started an attempt at a build today. I lammed the verts today and I will add a horizontal piece to the top. My initial mock up is to be 2-1/8" wide in the back and 1-5/8" at the muzzle. And I haven't decide on the height yet. I have 2-1/4" to play with.

64" mahogany stock.
Will have enclosed track, reef mech, and elite handle.

Will I be able to stain the mahogany with bright colors or will I need to paint it?

I plan on epoxy coating it and I want to see the wood grain. I just want to have bright blue and green color to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	223675  
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
IDreamOfVis

Re: First build.

Just a thought, but you had some ipe right? If it were me I'd do a horizontal laminate on the top or both the top and bottom with ipe. You will have a larger blank, but having more to play with is a good thing and a 64" gun using only mahogany is ok but you will probably want it to be a little thicker than 1 5/8" at the muzzle for your first build for safety and to minimize muzzle warp/flex
IDreamOfVis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
humpinit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamOfVis View Post
Just a thought, but you had some ipe right? If it were me I'd do a horizontal laminate on the top or both the top and bottom with ipe. You will have a larger blank, but having more to play with is a good thing and a 64" gun using only mahogany is ok but you will probably want it to be a little thicker than 1 5/8" at the muzzle for your first build for safety and to minimize muzzle warp/flex
Not a bad idea. Being my first build I'm not sure what the buoyancy of the gun would be with adding the ipe. It might work out perfectly. I plan on adding led under the track if needed. I just don't want a sinker to start with.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
IDreamOfVis

There are builders here with way more experience than me so hopefully they will chime in, but I've had good luck shooting for around an average specific gravity on the blank at around .75-.8 depending on how much wood there will be. If you can hit that you will probably need little to no lead
IDreamOfVis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
humpinit

So I can possibly add ipe for weight. I don't feel like doing math right now but if the gun was 1/3 ipe it might work out great.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
humpinit

Well I didn't add the ipe. I lammed on the top horizontal piece and tried to straighten it up a little. I will eventually put it on a jointer and planer to get it straight.
Do you guys see any issue with this muzzle design? I've never seen one. Just a prelim sketch for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	223783  

Last edited by humpinit; 01-27-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
humpinit

Is it necessary for the line to wrap over the shaft on an enclosed track gun?

I don't want to do a line guide and groove on the muzzle of this gun.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Fox55

Custom handles are the way to go the better it fits your the more accurate your gun will be. it's amazing what you can do with a dremel and a half inch sanding wheel.This is my first and I won't do anything else ever again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160110_122743.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	223794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160102_172654.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	223795  
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
mc diver 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpinit View Post
Is it necessary for the line to wrap over the shaft on an enclosed track gun?

I don't want to do a line guide and groove on the muzzle of this gun.

Not necessary to wrap over the shaft, but i think you will still need a groove to hold the shooting line as it comes up and over the muzzle. Ive never built an enclosed track, but the ones ive seen have had grooves, but no line guides.
Blank looks good. That muzxle should work i would think. You ciuld shape band grooves to line up with corresponding bands
Looks good so far
Matt
Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
humpinit

I haven't really had the time or money to move forward on the build the past couple weeks and while waiting around I have been thinking a lot.

I was considering a deep open track instead of the enclosed.
How deep should the track be? Should the shaft be perfectly flush with the top of the track or a little above or below? It seem slightly above would be correct to me.

Can I ballast the gun prior to pouring the track? I want the ballasting to be concealed under the track.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
jstiver09

The shallower the track the less wasted power you will have. If you want a "deep open track" I would make the track come up about 3/4 the height of the shaft. ETs are overrated, they look cool but they steal power from your gun. Better to pick the correct band/shaft setup. Also, I strongly recommend an adjustable ballast system. Jon (Ulusub) has a picture on the thread titled "Ulusub" of a really cool way. Or the Abellan guns have a routed out pocket with a SS cover, to put lead shot as needed for ballast. You may want to play around with the ballast to suit your needs.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
humpinit

Will the trigger mech position determine the height / depth of the track?
If the top of the mech is flush with the top of the gun, won't that make the shaft sit flush with the rail?
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
jstiver09

First build.

You don't have to mount the mech flush with the top of the gun. You can sand the rail down a bit.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
humpinit

Okay, if I do the deep open track, what size router bit will I need for a 5/16 shaft?

Can I use a 3/8 or will that have too much side to side play?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #15
humpinit

Since I am going to use tied on bands at the side of the muzzle. I think I will use brass tubing for the ferrules. Ill then flare the ends of the tube so they can't slide out.
I wish I had more money right now to keep this project moving. I just have too many toys right now that require funds. Wife is gonna snap soon.