Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Hogkilla

So how the he** do you use a speargun reel?

never used a reel before and recently got one to install in my seatec. I have always either double wrapped or used a float line. I ASSUME that the drag on the reel is adjusted JUST tight enough to keep the wraps on the gun and as the fish pulls the line is released as the drag loosens. AM I CORRECT? Sorrry for the question, but its tough to find info on this as none of my buddies freedive.

Tony
Hogkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Nix

Re: So how the he** do you use a speargun reel?

Exactly. You don't want to keep a tight drag. The reel will help you get back to the surface and from there you use your hands to pull up the fish.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
MiamiMan97
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
Exactly. You don't want to keep a tight drag. The reel will help you get back to the surface and from there you use your hands to pull up the fish.
I've also got a question... Lets say you place a bad shot and the fish takes a lot of line. When you are pulling it in do you also feed some of the line back into the reel? I'd be really scared of something happening with 50 feet of cord around my body in the water

Regards

joeyarmengol@aol.com

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -Socrates
MiamiMan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMan97 View Post
I've also got a question... Lets say you place a bad shot and the fish takes a lot of line. When you are pulling it in do you also feed some of the line back into the reel? I'd be really scared of something happening with 50 feet of cord around my body in the water

Regards
It's hard to "reel" in the fish like you would with a fishing pole because the gun doesn't flex. Unless the fish is small or dead.
But yeah, when I'm stacking line on the surface I push it down wind, or current and stay away from it. Especially if the fish is big.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Hogkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
thats what I thought. what diameter line do you spool your reel with? My reel recommends 1.9mm
Hogkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
MiamiMan97
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank49 View Post
It's hard to "reel" in the fish like you would with a fishing pole because the gun doesn't flex. Unless the fish is small or dead.
But yeah, when I'm stacking line on the surface I push it down wind, or current and stay away from it. Especially if the fish is big.
Ok thanks for clearing things up for me

Regards

joeyarmengol@aol.com

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -Socrates
MiamiMan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Jamil
Red Sea...Rocks!

Send a message via MSN to Jamil

An assuming you will use the reel mainly for scuba. In that case you need to keep the reel knob tight so the gun won't spool when you shoot a fish and goes all the way up to the surface. You will hate your self once that happens. Make sure the reel loosens the knob when the line spools and tightens when you reel in the line, otherwise you will break it.

You can't tell in the fish when the line is l tense. You can when it loose. Reels are great for hunting pelagics and bottom fish that trend to put a fight. It wears them out. You will love using it.
Jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
apeogre

When it comes to bringing the fish up using the line, how hard do you fight the fish? I shot the biggest fish I'd ever shot a few weeks ago, a 3 foot spanish mackerel and got it to within about 10 feet. My dive buddy and I were pulling the fish up by the line pretty forcefully. There weren't any problems until the fish was right below us and swimming pretty hard still. At this point do some of you let a bit of line out or hold on for dear life until you get the fish into your grasp?
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
kwtony
Snorkel Master

This is the second best part about spearing..the fight...when i have a mackerel start running i find they have a ton of pep in the beginning and then they crap out.
When they start taking out line and you are at depth (freediving) you just need to stay relaxed focused on getting to the surface but then start to regulate the line. Get a good grip around the center of the gun, aim it in the general direction of the fish to and try to use your fingers as a drag. I find it keeps a nice tension on the line and will help keep the reel from birds nesting and getting tangled.

A good quality reel is the best bet. I like to keep a medium drag on my gun always so if for whatever reason i am doing a hail marry back to the surface i dont have to think too much about it. I try to avoid those and dive within my limits.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
ahoullis

i use2.0mm
ahoullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMan97 View Post

Regards
You can either push the gun downcurrent of you as you pull in line and itll stay away from you.... and dont handwrap either if its a larger fish. or if theres no current swim towards the fish as you pull in line, feeding it out behind you.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
apeogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
This is the second best part about spearing..the fight...when i have a mackerel start running i find they have a ton of pep in the beginning and then they crap out.
When they start taking out line and you are at depth (freediving) you just need to stay relaxed focused on getting to the surface but then start to regulate the line. Get a good grip around the center of the gun, aim it in the general direction of the fish to and try to use your fingers as a drag. I find it keeps a nice tension on the line and will help keep the reel from birds nesting and getting tangled.

A good quality reel is the best bet. I like to keep a medium drag on my gun always so if for whatever reason i am doing a hail marry back to the surface i dont have to think too much about it. I try to avoid those and dive within my limits.
I've shot my fair share of reef fish, parrot fish, coral trout and the like, but I mostly used my reel to let me get to the surface then bring said fishy back up. These much larger fish are a different beast altogether. Shooting blue water fish is an absolute rush!
I keep my hand on my reel to keep it from freespooling when I head to the surface. But once on the surface I go for the line and try to bring that sucker in. I've seen people slow roll the fish as they bring them in and I've seen folks bring them in as fast as possible. I suppose both have their merits. Does it depend on the kind of fish? Or would you suggest waiting till the fish is pooped before really bringing it in close?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
spearq8

A good quality reel is very important and has probably saved a ton of people from dying of SWB. I never knew reels existed for spearguns till about 15 years ago, and I can tell you that it is extremely risky shooting big fish and trying to haul it up ... you have a choice of losing the gun or SWB and very often it is very hard to let go of the gun until it is too late. Tying the gun to a line with a float is also an option especially in open water. I remember trying out a reel from ABBILLER and it was not high quality and would kink up with fast fish such as Barracuda or King Mackerel, again causing a dangerous situation and quickly gave it up. Reels have come a long way since then and are much more reliable and tons of people use them successfully. The idea of the reel is not like a fishing rod type of reel where you fight the fish and change the drag, it really is just to allow you to surface without having to exert yourself and risk SWB. I still hear of the occasional reel that gets tangled causing a stressful situation, and I personally think that it is way safer to just be able to let go of the gun and surface. But if you are in a shark infested area, it is a disadvantage to not have the gun from pushing the sharks away ... so I guess a breakaway would be a better choice than just float and line in that situation.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
apeogre

Went out today and tried what you said kwtony, little bastard damn near spooled my reel! I'm pretty sure I didn't get a great shot at it and it came off once I finally surfaced. Anywho, using a wong reel and using my hand as a brake on the line didn't stop the little bastard from running a long way. Ah well, such is spearfishing.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogkilla View Post
thats what I thought. what diameter line do you spool your reel with? My reel recommends 1.9mm
I use 1.8mm line. It's go so that I have more line on the reel for big fish that make long runs.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote