Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
de los muertos
No head like steelhead

Open cell suits for surfing?

Anyone know of any? After buying my first open cell dive suit and improving my underwater enjoyment ten fold, I have started to wonder about the possibilities in the topside realm. Open cell's seem like a much more flexible, warmer alternative for surfing, not to mention cheaper. WTF is the deal here? anyone have some insight?
de los muertos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Open cell suits for surfing?

With surfing you are in and out of the water a skin in would be way to sticky for surfing
Phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
C monster
Do Rad Dough

I've surfed up North and at Todos in my freediving suit. Kinda doesn't work... I dunno, I was warm, but it felt weird. I guess if you could get used to it, it'd work. I like surf suits for surfing and dive suits for diving, but that's just me.

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

What suits are you looking at? I was at Katin today and they had 3/2 Rip Curl E-Bomb chest-zips for 190. That's far cheaper than a open cell, and way more durable as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Mike Morgan
Spear-hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
With surfing you are in and out of the water a skin in would be way to sticky for surfing
Phil
Actually its the complete opposite. Did it once when I forgot my surf suit. Besides feeling like a complete idiot wearing a camo riffe out surfing. The suit slipped and slid all over the place when paddling and stuff. To fragile as well.
Mike Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Seems like you would get hotter than hell in that thing with all the paddling and what-not.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morgan View Post
Actually its the complete opposite. Did it once when I forgot my surf suit. Besides feeling like a complete idiot wearing a camo riffe out surfing. The suit slipped and slid all over the place when paddling and stuff. To fragile as well.
To me it was very sticky in the arms and upper body when up on the wave and after waiting for sets and the suit was drained out
Phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
butch
Pool Builder SD & OC

Bad idea.
Gen 1:26

Then God said,"Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea
NKJV

Email rather than PM plz...

Butchesplace@gmail.com
butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
Behslayer

It's a good question. If two Surf Style Suits were made exactly the same except that one was Lined and one was Open Cell, the Open Cell Suit would be:
-Warmer
-Lighter
-More Flexible
-Less Expensive
-Less Durable
-More difficult to take care of
-More difficult to put on..

In order to use an Open Cell Suit for Surfing, you would need to allow some water into the suit. Many top Surfing suits these days can allow you to surf almost dry inside. This will not work with Open Cell. Nor would you be able to put on the suit without some water or lube..

While surfing, an open cell suit is Slippery in the chest and this doesn't allow the wearer to 'connect' top their board. However, a suit that fit well, and perhaps had a lined Chest, would work well. I've made a few Open Cell Short John prototypes and those were real nice to surf in when we get the cooler water in our winter. I was toasty in a 2mm Short John in 7O degree Water.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
nilsonov

I've kitesurfed with my open cell when I forgot the regular suit. Worked just fine, just got hot as hell (which is always better than cold). The open cell suit definitively feels more fragile though.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
davej

I had one years ago when I was in the surf biz, it was a prototype by excel maybe or anther small brand. I loved it, dint freedive so did not know about lubeing up. I was easy to put on when it was dry but a second session if the suit was wet was a bitch to get into. It was super warm and worked really well. I think they opted against if for usability and durability. Surfers abuse their suits.

on a similar note I have been wondering why none of the freedive suits use the liquid rubber seam tape. All the surfs suits have it and its great at keep the seams from leaking. Its great as the suit gets older it does not leak like suits with out it. I would love that on my freedive suit.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
freeride
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
It's a good question. If two Surf Style Suits were made exactly the same except that one was Lined and one was Open Cell, the Open Cell Suit would be:
-Warmer
-Lighter
-More Flexible
-Less Expensive
-Less Durable
-More difficult to take care of
-More difficult to put on..

In order to use an Open Cell Suit for Surfing, you would need to allow some water into the suit. Many top Surfing suits these days can allow you to surf almost dry inside. This will not work with Open Cell. Nor would you be able to put on the suit without some water or lube..

While surfing, an open cell suit is Slippery in the chest and this doesn't allow the wearer to 'connect' top their board. However, a suit that fit well, and perhaps had a lined Chest, would work well. I've made a few Open Cell Short John prototypes and those were real nice to surf in when we get the cooler water in our winter. I was toasty in a 2mm Short John in 7O degree Water.
Perfect! I used to do all the wetsuit buying for RipCurl and have seen some open/closed cell mix suits. The main problems with open cell for surfing is the slippery feel to the chest when paddling, and the fragile nature of the non lined rubber. Also most two piece dive suits would get a lot of water forced inside in waves with power, so you need a 1 piece design which for an open cell suit is tough to get on without all the slippery lube. Hotskins (which are thin open cell titanium lined jackets in .5mm) have been very popular for years.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
HeadlessHunter

Some of the Japanese surf suits use open cell... I believe axxe is one of them. Not cheap however. They hook a friend up with suits and he says they are ten fold the comfort and warmth...

http://www.axxe.jp/us/
HeadlessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
one_drake

I surfed Chinese a few weeks ago in just my 7mm farmer john bottoms, i was warm but any water that got in the chest made it so slippery it was hard to stay connected with the board and paddle in to waves with any stability. It was so bad i paddled to the boat to switch into my surf suit.
one_drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
BEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by de los muertos View Post
Anyone know of any? After buying my first open cell dive suit and improving my underwater enjoyment ten fold, I have started to wonder about the possibilities in the topside realm. Open cell's seem like a much more flexible, warmer alternative for surfing, not to mention cheaper. WTF is the deal here? anyone have some insight?
The new surf suits are sick, I dono how anyone could complain. XCEL drylock infinity zip.
BEEK is offline   Reply With Quote