Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Mookieo2

fin workout in pool?

I've been swimming since October a few days a week to get in better shape. I've been surfing for 20years but never swam laps in a pool. I was thinking about getting a pair of training fins to help with spearing/ free diving. Does anyone have a suggested workout that I could incorporate with my regular swim routine? Also should I just use my free dive fins or get the small training fins? The pool I go to is a standard 25M pool.
Mookieo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Old Man Dan

Re: fin workout in pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookieo2 View Post
I've been swimming since October a few days a week to get in better shape. I've been surfing for 20years but never swam laps in a pool. I was thinking about getting a pair of training fins to help with spearing/ free diving. Does anyone have a suggested workout that I could incorporate with my regular swim routine? Also should I just use my free dive fins or get the small training fins? The pool I go to is a standard 25M pool.
I think the small blade training fins work best in a pool. I use Zoomers (red). They have a good selection of training fins at swimoutlet.com.

I like doing interval sets, e.g. 10 x 50m on 1:00 interval or 6-8 x 100 on 2:00 interval. I also think it's a good idea to do some kicking on your back; it works your leg muscles differently. Hope this helps.
Old Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
schwaman

What old man said. On apnea of course. 20x 25m @ 50s ( you got 50s for diving 25m and your break for breathing, time according your ability)
Then 10x 50m @ eg 1:50
Then 3x 75 with enough break in between
A tipical training routine in our club involves also static before the intervals and then static-dynamic to cool of. Only with a buddy of course
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Mookieo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Dan View Post
I think the small blade training fins work best in a pool. I use Zoomers (red). They have a good selection of training fins at swimoutlet.com.

I like doing interval sets, e.g. 10 x 50m on 1:00 interval or 6-8 x 100 on 2:00 interval. I also think it's a good idea to do some kicking on your back; it works your leg muscles differently. Hope this helps.
Thanks guys for the tips. I'm going to pick up a set of training fins and try it. On your back is something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks.

As of now if we do a set of 10x50's freestyle, we do it in 55s and rest 15-20 sec. I'm not sure I can swim with fins at that pace. I have a hard time trying to keep the 50M's over 55 s. I guess I'll just have to see how it feels.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
dr.ed

Here's my $0.02. I feel "training" fins are too small. I use duckfeet. I feel they are a good comprise. I have used free dive fins/ long fins they are a pain doing flip turns. Duckfeet work fin for me. Of course back in the day I used duckfeet for spearing.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Nwsportsman
Lars

Quote:
I have a hard time trying to keep the 50M's over 55 s.
Are you doing your 50m as slow as possible? Try it as 25m full under as slow as possible and 25m as free style revovery. It will build your cO2 tolerance without pushing you to blackout.

Here are the swim workouts I do. They may be faster placed than your current workouts. But it has lots of unders to help with your diving.

I use Quattros for all my pool time. Keeps my legs strong and with practice you can do flip turns with them.

"Be realistic about your experience, Pick an able partner, and err on the side of epic. You'd be crazy not to." -Casey Lyons.
Nwsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
LLCoolJ
Nooby

Is it more beneficial to use training fins? I've been training without fins, but I'm a complete noob so I only do 10x25m laps every other day. Also are there any training routines that don't use fins?

Thanks
LLCoolJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #8
Mookieo2

Nwsportsman those are some tough workouts. I can't hold my breath that long. I will try to incorporate something like that into my workout. Thank you for sharing. There are a lot of great swimmers on this board. Some of the threads I've read through about workouts I couldn't imagine being able to do anytime soon.

Llcoolj I figure if I swim with training fins for a workout or add a section with fins to my regular one it would strengthen my legs and get used to swimming with fins. I'm a noob too and I just started swimming in October. I could only do what you do. Now our regular routine is a 400m with mix between swimming, pull bouy, kickboard, and another stroke. Then its 10-50's at 1 min or less or we'll mix it up and do 150m, 100m, 50m X3 at 1min or less per 50m's. We then do some more kickboard and pull bouy with only breathing on 7 or higher strokes. Depending on how we feel we'll add some 25m's under 25's or do another few lap.

Here is the workout that i have a goal to be able to complete one day in the near future
http://www.surfline.com/community/wh...ws.cfm?id=1169
Old 03-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
brandon cadalzo

What has been working for me is using my freediving fins. I do laps in apnea at varying levels of intensity throughout the week. The first thing you need to do is figure out a maximum distance that you can swim while underwater. Then, for example perform 10 laps @50% 8@60% 6@75% and 4@80%.
The next day later bump up your percentage by 2.5%-5% and keep going like that until you reach 100% of your max. Only do 1 set at 100% though and if you want you can try for a new record. As far as rest intervals go. Try and keep them constant. I find that no more than 1:15 seconds between laps is sufficient.
brandon cadalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Silvertriton

I think that if your target is improving spearing/freediving, you should ideally use the fins you will actually use in open water since they work out different muscles than shorter models and it is crucial that you find out which muscles/posture will produce the maximum efficiency with the least effort with a given set of fins ...when I changed from a softer carbon blade to a harder one I found that I was going faster underwater for the same effort but somehow my muscles ached more...after a few trials I realized that the harder fin needed a bit more bend in the knee and shorter kick to achieve max efficiency without pain and in maximum relaxation.

I train on a 50m pool and I alternate gradually increasing distance with the same recovery time with same distance with decreasing recovery times...
Silvertriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Nwsportsman
Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertriton View Post
...you should ideally use the fins you will actually use in open water since they work out different muscles than shorter models and it is crucial that you find out which muscles/posture will produce the maximum efficiency with the least effort with a given set of fins
I agree with Silver. It takes time to learn the "timeing" or feel of a set of fins to make the most of them.

In general you want fairly stiff straight legs when kicking.
I like to set up my gogro and video myself so I can see what my kick looks like.

"Be realistic about your experience, Pick an able partner, and err on the side of epic. You'd be crazy not to." -Casey Lyons.
Nwsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #12
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
If you have pretty good fin technique already and just want to condition at a lap swim, you can do skip breathing freestyle sets. This kind of hypoxic cardio training builds CO2 tolerance and conditions you for challenging real world spearing where you're never fully 'resting' (ie current at the surface so you're breathing up in a current).

For skip breathing the classic ones are the ladders.. ie breathe every 3, 5, 7, 5, 3, 5, 7.... And you can make it as challenging as you want by upping the numbers, ie 9, 11, 13, 15, 13, 11, 9, 11, etc... or by increasing the intensity--just swim faster, or decreasing the rest interval. I typically do this for warm-up before fin swimming, and sometimes I'll do for a main set something like 8x100M with 20 secs rest between each, high number of strokes between breaths, 70% intensity. If I'm doing longer distances (like 200's instead of 100's) I lower the intensity. Can mix it up other ways as well, ie breathe every 7 on the first 100, next one is every 9, then 11, etc, and of course do the set in classic interval style instead of with a set rest between each rep.
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote