Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Ron S

Advice for a new 70cm gun.

Been using my trusty old Rob Allen 70 here in NorCal for a long time, but one of my son’s “frankengun”, that I built him, no longer works. Trigger mechanism is worn out. Thinking about handing down my RA and trying something different. Looking at something like the Pathos but remember some old threads about issues with the II handle/mechanism vs the I. I set my guns up with fairly low power and a single wrap for close range and shooting into holes. Aside from just buying another Rob Allen, (which certainly wouldn’t be a bad choice), any other suggestions for a rugged, reliable short gun?
Thanks,
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
Marco

Re: Advice for a new 70cm gun.

Maybe a pneumatic, but it's not for everyone...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Maybe a pneumatic, but it's not for everyone...
Yeah good guns, but not for me. Dive with a buddy and tried his out, but just didn’t care for it.

One big advantage to the RA’s is that spare shafts are easy to get and fairly inexpensive. I looked online but can’t seem to find replacement shafts for the Pathos guns, and the few shafts I found that look like they’d work are pretty expensive.

Might sound trivial but where we dive most often, (Fort Brag, CA), is a seven hour drive. The only shop in the area just went out of business due to the closure of abalone season and the pandemic, so all we have is what we take with us. I carry at least one spare mask, snorkel, light, knife, etc. And, since three of us were shooting 70cm guns that I had rigged all the same, two spare shafts that could be dropped into any gun. The new fangled fancy guns I’m looking at, like the Pathos and the newest Mako, don’t look like they’ll accept a traditional notched RA shaft, but I could be wrong...
Old 03-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
North Star
Max

If you would consider a teak gun, the Riffe Comp 0 cannot be beat for ruggedness, durability, and longevity. It is the perfect size for the kind of hunting you do. Great for holes, and on good visibility days it will reach out to the distances you need for any rockfish. Mine is a workhorse that is still going strong after 20 years. I just rub some teak oil on it once a season (or not) but a fresh water rinse is really all you need to do. Besides, it is quieter than a clankey metal gun. Never had to replace a shaft ever, just spear tips.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Yeah good guns, but not for me. Dive with a buddy and tried his out, but just didn’t care for it.

One big advantage to the RA’s is that spare shafts are easy to get and fairly inexpensive. I looked online but can’t seem to find replacement shafts for the Pathos guns, and the few shafts I found that look like they’d work are pretty expensive.

Might sound trivial but where we dive most often, (Fort Brag, CA), is a seven hour drive. The only shop in the area just went out of business due to the closure of abalone season and the pandemic, so all we have is what we take with us. I carry at least one spare mask, snorkel, light, knife, etc. And, since three of us were shooting 70cm guns that I had rigged all the same, two spare shafts that could be dropped into any gun. The new fangled fancy guns I’m looking at, like the Pathos and the newest Mako, don’t look like they’ll accept a traditional notched RA shaft, but I could be wrong...
You're wrong. They'll accept any "euro" shaft. Just get the right lenght. I wont get a Pathos though; they're pricey and not as reliable as your RA. New Makos look nice, but haven't seen them in person.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:04 PM   #6
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
If you would consider a teak gun, the Riffe Comp 0 cannot be beat for ruggedness, durability, and longevity. It is the perfect size for the kind of hunting you do. Great for holes, and on good visibility days it will reach out to the distances you need for any rockfish. Mine is a workhorse that is still going strong after 20 years. I just rub some teak oil on it once a season (or not) but a fresh water rinse is really all you need to do. Besides, it is quieter than a clankey metal gun. Never had to replace a shaft ever, just spear tips.
Max I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I already have a C-0 and use it often. I just don’t shoot it very well. I love it for hole hunting and bad vis, and on a good day, can even do well with long shots, just not consistently. I watched the videos your son posted of him using his C-0 and am just amazed! He hits fish with that thing at distances that would really tax my abilities with any gun.

I may just keep my trusty old RA and convince my penny pinching son to kick out about half the dough for a new RA 70...
Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
jfjf

Have you looked at the relatively new gun released by MAKO. It is entirely different than their other guns. It includes a trigger mech with a roller design that is super strong and works very well.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Titan-...ck-p/mtecm.htm

free shipping, and they tie the bands on the day you order the gun.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:52 PM   #8
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Have you looked at the relatively new gun released by MAKO. It is entirely different than their other guns. It includes a trigger mech with a roller design that is super strong and works very well.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Titan-...ck-p/mtecm.htm

free shipping, and they tie the bands on the day you order the gun.
I have, and it looks really good! I tried to e-mail Mako via their “contact us” icon on their website with some questions, but it didn’t work. When I clicked on send, it flashed “URL not found”, and then instantly went back to the home page. I wanted to find out if a traditional notched RA shaft would work on the Mako gun. (Since I have several I carry as spares) It appears that the Mako gun has a deeper track, and I’m not sure the wishbones would reach the notches. Also, the photos show the gun with basically a three sharkfin shaft, with the shooting line attached to the front most fin. Not sure if that’s the setup on the little 70cm gun or not. For my purposes, a two fin shaft would be better. Lastly, if I needed to just purchase a replacement/spare shaft, I wasn’t sure which one of the Mako shafts it would be?

Anyway, my son and I just got back from the coast. He borrowed his brother’s RA 70. He hasn’t decided what he wants to do about a new gun yet, so not sure what direction we’re gonna go, but yeah, I’m liking the innovations that have been put into the new Mako gun!
Old 04-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #9
jfjf

I'm going to pass on your questions/concerns to Dano this evening. I suspect he will respond tomorrow.

I think I can answer one of your questions about if a notched euro shaft will work in the gun - I'm really sure it will be compatible, although Dano has moved away from notched shafts because he feels that the tabbed shafts are stronger and better. I know they definitely cost more to make than a notched shaft, due to the welding and extra materials required.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:36 PM   #10
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I'm going to pass on your questions/concerns to Dano this evening. I suspect he will respond tomorrow.

I think I can answer one of your questions about if a notched euro shaft will work in the gun - I'm really sure it will be compatible, although Dano has moved away from notched shafts because he feels that the tabbed shafts are stronger and better. I know they definitely cost more to make than a notched shaft, due to the welding and extra materials required.
Thank you sir!
Old 04-02-2021, 12:30 AM   #11
divenfish

Hey Ron, If you want to stick to RAs, I'm in Ft Bragg, and have 70 and 80 RA I could part with if you're interested. I'm shooting Sporasub/Mares now. I am happy with what I have, but if I were to look for a new gun now, I would opt for the new Mako, they look sleek!
I'm pretty sure they would work with notched shafts
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
I have, and it looks really good! I tried to e-mail Mako via their “contact us” icon on their website with some questions, but it didn’t work. When I clicked on send, it flashed “URL not found”, and then instantly went back to the home page. I wanted to find out if a traditional notched RA shaft would work on the Mako gun. (Since I have several I carry as spares) It appears that the Mako gun has a deeper track, and I’m not sure the wishbones would reach the notches. Also, the photos show the gun with basically a three sharkfin shaft, with the shooting line attached to the front most fin. Not sure if that’s the setup on the little 70cm gun or not. For my purposes, a two fin shaft would be better. Lastly, if I needed to just purchase a replacement/spare shaft, I wasn’t sure which one of the Mako shafts it would be?

Anyway, my son and I just got back from the coast. He borrowed his brother’s RA 70. He hasn’t decided what he wants to do about a new gun yet, so not sure what direction we’re gonna go, but yeah, I’m liking the innovations that have been put into the new Mako gun!
Ron:

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about the issue concerning the Email link. We are going to be working on it; it appears that it is working for some people and not others.

In any regard, if you would like to talk with our staff, you can call during normal business hours and we are always happy to answer any questions you have.
1-540-361-1570

Also, the new Titan Roller mechanism can use normal and notched euro shafts, they are compatible with the open track and you can also use a rear attachment of the shooting line - in other words, there is lateral room in the mech for the shooting line loop to be inserted.

If you want to order an extra shaft when you order the gun, that is no problem and the guys should be able to help you select the appropriate MAKO shaft for your application.

Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience our Email link has caused.

dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #13
Ron S

Called just awhile ago and got all my questions answered. Thanks Dano!
Old 04-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #14
Ron S

Oh, and more than likely the problem with the E-mail link was operator error on my end. Usually is...