Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Diablo Loco

Monterey Bay Triton Meeting November 3, 2012

Hello everyone. It’s time for the last meeting of the year for the Monterey Bay Triton's. It will be on Nov. 3rd, at the Black Bear Diner on Fremont St., in Monterey. The meeting will be at 3pm. And of course, we will be diving in the morning before the meeting. I will be doing a presentation on how to build an abalone board (float board), and the many ways that they can be built, depending on your budget. And if you would like to join us for the morning dive, feel free to ask also. Everyone is welcome to come to the meeting, even if you are not a member. Bring a friend. Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Re: Monterey Bay Triton Meeting November 3, 2012

Hey Guys,
I unfortunately will not be able to attend. I have a work requirement that I must be at. Truth be told I’m on a two day trip to Channel Islands. I’m teaching some scuba classes for the dive shop I work for, I know it’s rough but such is the life of a glamorous dive instructor. However I’m sure that the VP will do an outstanding job in my place.
Here’s the agenda for the meeting.

1. This is the last event in the King of the Tritons series. So will be weighing fish prior to the meeting. Remember all fish must be presented to the Weigh Master by no later than 2:30 to count. The weigh in will be at the same place as last time Black Bear Dinner Parking lot. Also remember that due to less than great diving at two of our previous events the prize board is still very open. If you show up on Saturday and shoot a good stringer you just might end up with some great prizes.

2. After the meeting begins at 3:00 the prizes will be awarded for the KOT.

3. Bryan and Bob will be giving a talk about dive boards. As many of you already know Bryan is the king of building your own dive board. He build several custom boards and will be showing some of him work and teaching you how to build your own or upgrade what you have. You don’t want to miss this. Even if you have a kayak there are times when you still want you use a board and having a good one really makes that kind of diving a lot easier.

As always be safe and take care,
Robert

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Diablo Loco

A great part of what I will present at the meeting will also be applicable to modifications that can be done on kayaks also. If you would like to do modifications to your kayak, but are just not sure on what to do...or how to do them, I can show you how and what you can and cannot do. Or I can at least simplify the process.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
slodiver

Will try to attend and will bring the canoe along for a good time before, conditions permitting. Will prod my brother to attend as well. You guys missed out on a great time at the contest in San Simeon.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Newgun

Hello,
I would like to attend the meeting. What I would really like is to find a generous person who wouldn't mind taking a brand new diver out spearing. Took a freediving class. Never speared a fish. I have put together all my gear ,now just need some help going out . I'm 48 yo male. I can't get on the tritons wbsite right now. I have an iPad. No flash player. Bummer. Thanks. Pm or call. 415 279-7812
Newgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgun View Post
Hello,
I would like to attend the meeting. What I would really like is to find a generous person who wouldn't mind taking a brand new diver out spearing. Took a freediving class. Never speared a fish. I have put together all my gear ,now just need some help going out . I'm 48 yo male. I can't get on the tritons wbsite right now. I have an iPad. No flash player. Bummer. Thanks. Pm or call. 415 279-7812
Give me a call. # sent to PM

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Newgun

Hey bryan Thanks for the quick response. It's on I'm diving Saturday. I'm stoked
Newgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
riff
><>

Hey broskiis, quick question. i know the water temp is probably the warmest it will be all year, BUT with the outside temp, will my normal wetsuit (3-4-5) be warm enough?

do you all dive in the same suits this time of year?
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
BUT with the outside temp, will my normal wetsuit (3-4-5) be warm enough?

do you all dive in the same suits this time of year?
The answer to the wet suit. NO. You will be fine...........for about 30 min. Then, you will start to get cold and then the shivers will start. You will end up getting out of the water in less than an hour, wishing you had worn a warmer suit.

We all pretty much wear 5mm to 7mm freedive suits (not scuba/surf suits) all year long. 7mm is worn for those guys who get cold a little easier and those who dive up in NorCal, where the water can tend to be a bit colder more often.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
riff
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Loco View Post
The answer to the wet suit. NO. You will be fine...........for about 30 min. Then, you will start to get cold and then the shivers will start. You will end up getting out of the water in less than an hour, wishing you had worn a warmer suit.

We all pretty much wear 5mm to 7mm freedive suits (not scuba/surf suits) all year long. 7mm is worn for those guys who get cold a little easier and those who dive up in NorCal, where the water can tend to be a bit colder more often.
I figured, that happened to me last time.

What's a good freedive suit for this time of year

I dive in my 3-4-5 all spring and summer and its more than warm, but i think 5 or 7mm suit might be best as an alt
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
riff
><>

i will literally order one for this weekend if i can get a recommendation quick enough
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
NICKtheSPEARO

Quote:
I figured, that happened to me last time.

What's a good freedive suit for this time of year

I dive in my 3-4-5 all spring and summer and its more than warm, but i think 5 or 7mm suit might be best as an alt
Get a 7mm Freedive suit like Bryan suggested. That's the way to go for around here and is pretty much a must have if you plan on heading to the North Coast for Abs and fish also.

There's a lot of good suits on the market, the important thing is to find the one that's in your price range, and that fits you nicely. These Sporasub suits just went on sale, I'm probably gonna order one pretty soon(http://www.sporasubamerica.com/spora...tic-p-128.html). Check out the size chart and see if it works, if not, you can mix top and bottom sizes to get the right fit. This is a good suit and it's at a really good price right now so I thought I'd share it with you, but you could always call the Freedive Shop in Sacramento and see what they have. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you find a suit.

http://www.freediveshop.com/index.php
1-(877)-938-7848

http://www.jamesandjoseph.com/

http://www.speardeals.com/
NICKtheSPEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
riff
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKtheSPEARO View Post
Get a 7mm Freedive suit like Bryan suggested. That's the way to go for around here and is pretty much a must have if you plan on heading to the North Coast for Abs and fish also.

There's a lot of good suits on the market, the important thing is to find the one that's in your price range, and that fits you nicely. These Sporasub suits just went on sale, I'm probably gonna order one pretty soon(http://www.sporasubamerica.com/spora...tic-p-128.html). Check out the size chart and see if it works, if not, you can mix top and bottom sizes to get the right fit. This is a good suit and it's at a really good price right now so I thought I'd share it with you, but you could always call the Freedive Shop in Sacramento and see what they have. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you find a suit.

http://www.freediveshop.com/index.php
1-(877)-938-7848
so cheap! nice

actually i guess if i get both top and bottom, im looking 250+

still not bad, any other good ones?

Would you suggest 5mm legs and 7mm top? i'm worried about overlap
Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
NICKtheSPEARO

Quote:
so cheap! nice

actually i guess if i get both top and bottom, im looking 250+

still not bad, any other good ones?

Would you suggest 5mm legs and 7mm top? i'm worried about overlap
$250 for this suit in a 7mm is a seriously good deal. You could mix 5mm pants, with a 7mm Top, but I don't see why you would. What do you mean by overlap?

http://www.jamesandjoseph.com/

http://www.speardeals.com/
NICKtheSPEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
riff
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKtheSPEARO View Post
$250 for this suit in a 7mm is a seriously good deal. You could mix 5mm pants, with a 7mm Top, but I don't see why you would. What do you mean by overlap?
Yea that does look like a great deal, i might need to pull the trigger just to see if it fits.

Um, some of my buddies have rented the farmer john style and around their stomach where the two suits overlap is super thick to the point where they cant even put on their booties.

Also, whats the normal price of these suits?