Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #1336
Seal Rock

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Any vis reports up in Homoassa?
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #1337
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBSC2015 View Post
62f
Thanks
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 AM   #1338
Baanzai

Dove off Anna Maria yesterday. Water temperatures are finally up to 70 and Vis was probably 15 ft but bull sharks are everywhere! We were buzzed by at least one at every spot we tried in 40s and 50s.
Baanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #1339
gringosurfer

We dove 28ft off AMI on friday, viz was about 15-20 and there were fish everywhere, didn't see a single shark. Me and my buddy only needed 1 dive each to load our stringer with nice hogs, sherpas, and mangos. I shot a 17" mango which I thought was pretty beastly for that close in.
gringosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #1340
Baanzai

17" Mango??? That's very impressive for 28'. Glad you had better luck than we did. we hit about five spots out there and the Bulls were on within 20 minutes on every dive. Very disappointing.
Baanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #1341
lsanger

Went out to the Icebox area off Sarasota this morning. Viz in 45-50 depth was about 15ft. Shot 3 nice hogs. Water temp on the bottom was 68 degrees. Saw some H&L guys after 2nd dive pull in 2 nice Kingfish while we were pulling up the anchor to leave.
lsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #1342
gringosurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baanzai View Post
17" Mango??? That's very impressive for 28'. Glad you had better luck than we did. we hit about five spots out there and the Bulls were on within 20 minutes on every dive. Very disappointing.
That's not very good new seeing the tarpon haven't even showed up yet. I have a feeling it's going to be a very sharky year. That's the biggest mango i've ever shot that close in. I wasn't even looking for them because there were so many 20+ inch sheepheads and some decent hogs around but when I looked down and he was right beneath me I couldn't believe he gave me a shot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	215984  
gringosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #1343
Spearo|Joe

Went out freediving 12 miles from placida yesterday, could make out reef shadows on the bottom in ~60 feet. Vis degraded throughout the day. Got hassled by what I believe were all sandbar sharks, hard to distinguish them and bulls. Still managed to pull our 6 AJ'S some nice snapper and a permit. Lost some AJ to the taxman and almost lost a chunk of thigh....yeah they got a little too friendly. Left after a close call.

Moved in to about 7 miles and the vis was trash, saw a cruising shark there also and didn't have much luck besides some snapper.
Spearo|Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #1344
dkay

Dove Sunday off Anclote in 40-45 ft. Top temp was 70 bottom was 66. Viz was almost top to bottom and 25 ft horizontal. Lots of gags, mangos and hogs. Unfortunately I had a 7' bull that decided to appear once I started shooting and ran me off my spot. Not the way I wanted to start the year...
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #1345
JNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkay View Post
Dove Sunday off Anclote in 40-45 ft. Top temp was 70 bottom was 66. Viz was almost top to bottom and 25 ft horizontal. Lots of gags, mangos and hogs. Unfortunately I had a 7' bull that decided to appear once I started shooting and ran me off my spot. Not the way I wanted to start the year...
shark bad

VIZ good!

Thanks for update
JNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #1346
miami canes

Ok I took 10 years off of spearfishing and diving and back then I only saw a bull shark in 1 out of 300 dives. I have been diving all over the carribean and still no sharks and I keep seeing all the post about sharks. Not going to lie it kinda freaks me out seeing all these reports, but my question is do the Sharks mess with you? Or are they just there trying to steal fish?
miami canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #1347
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami canes View Post
Ok I took 10 years off of spearfishing and diving and back then I only saw a bull shark in 1 out of 300 dives. I have been diving all over the carribean and still no sharks and I keep seeing all the post about sharks. Not going to lie it kinda freaks me out seeing all these reports, but my question is do the Sharks mess with you? Or are they just there trying to steal fish?
I've only been diving for less than 3 years, all around here. I thought it was NORMAL to see sharks 50% of the time while diving - LOL. I've had them buzz me a few times, but a good poke with your gun, or even charging them and yelling through your regulator is usually enough to scare them off. But if they get pesky we just pull anchor and move. But yeah, generally they are just there to steal an easy meal.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #1348
jstiver09

A couple good courtesy jabs with the spear tip...and then if they do not back off just put one to sleep with a PH. They will usually scram after that. Waaay too many bulls around that are aggressive towards divers. More than there ever should be. I used to try and avoid lethal use of a PH but now I really don't care. However, 99% of the time the only places they get super aggressive are public numbers and I usually avoid them anyways.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #1349
jstiver09

A dive buddy lost an 80+ pound wahoo last weekend 60 miles off of Sanibel to a shark. It could have been a tear off but made 3 long runs and was basically tired then a strong yank and slack. Heartbreaking is an understatement!
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #1350
weltwind

I usually dive alone, with no one on the boat. After seeing sharks on most of my recent dives, and being bumped from behind, I got the Shark Shield. Used it last weekend for the first time. There were no sharks around, but swimming with it was perfectly fine and it had no effect on the fish. Next time I see a shark, I plan to put down the stringer with the Shield on it to see if it will have any deterrent effect on the sharks. I also carry a bottle of shark repellent, just in case.
weltwind is offline   Reply With Quote