Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #1651
jbsrq

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Any reports from this week for us 9-5ers?
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #1652
Hoghunter

veterans reef ledge 6-10 ft vis not too fishy
in shallower (30-35 ft) tons of fish but shooting at shadows maybe 4-6 ft
both on pretty strong incoming tide
cooler empty sadness
Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #1653
sharpshooter

Went out of JP saturday at 270 degrees to 60' and had about 15' of horz. vis.. Water temp. 85F.. A few small hogs speared. I just drove the boat. My MG trip with friends for today got cancelled last night.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #1654
chodges

Yesterday, out 90 miles W of Clearwater, 130 fsw viz was around 70' horizontal on bottom. 73 temp. We got a few scamp, AJ's, and a few hogs. Largest hog around 15#.
chodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #1655
Bergymon

8/15 big dog ledge, 7 to 10 feet visibility, lots of small reds lots of small mango snapper. Lots of jellyfish.
Moved out to Treasure Island 2, six or seven boats out there, caught a few nice mangoes on hook and line. Decided to dive, big Mingo snappers everywhere, several large Barracuda, no sharks. Lots of under sized gag grouper shot several nice mangoes. Tons of amberjack, none appeared legal. Visibility was about 20 to 30 feet at 95 feet. A couple of nice cobia, just out of range, but they were big.
Bergymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #1656
jstiver09

We had 70 feet of vis freediving in 92 fsw off of Boca Grande. Filled the fish of with big reds, gags, mangs, tripletail, mahi...
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #1657
jbsrq

Saturday 8/15 off of Sarasota in 50 FSW, had hazy top to bottom vis. Could literally make out structure and divers on the bottom from the surface. About 20' horizontal vis on the bottom. Shot some good size mangs and saw many short gags and barracuda. Checked a few spots in 40' and 30' but the vis was non existent.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #1658
Jonboy

Sun 8/15 20 miles west of Bayport ramp in 30ft. Terrible vis, maybe 5-7 ft. Nice looking bottom(when u could see it) but no fish. Wind also blowing making no fish and bad vis even harder to take. Last drop was in 40ft 28miles west. Vis improved to 12-15. We had 2 descent mangs up til then but this spot was very fishy. Shot 3 gags to 28 inch and 4 hogs. Amazing how one small rock formation in the middle of the sand can hold so many fish when 8 miles away on some really amazing bottom there were no fish.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #1659
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodges View Post
Yesterday, out 90 miles W of Clearwater, 130 fsw viz was around 70' horizontal on bottom. 73 temp. We got a few scamp, AJ's, and a few hogs. Largest hog around 15#.
I assume you went to the Middlegrounds or nearby. Thought the water temp. would of been warmer. Nice size hog at 15#.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #1660
chodges

Yes, we went to the MG. The temp on bottom was quite surprising, especially since I didn't wear a wetsuit.
chodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #1661
Morbo

8/15 off of Anna Maria island. 15 ft vis in 50 ft. Hazy. Moved in to 30 ft and had 10 ft of vis. Managed 2 gags in the deeper water with some hogfish. Short reds everywhere. In close was more hogs and no grouper seen at all. Big mangos in both spots.
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #1662
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Went about 38+ miles offshore yesterday in about 75 - 80 feet. Hit the Tarpon Tug, the barge nearby, and the RJ. No AJ of legal size, a very few spooky gags, decent mangos that hid in the structure and were tough to get out - should have had a pole spear. Of course, trigger fish everywhere - LOL.

Viz a hazy 15-20 feet. Conditions up top improved as the day progressed and we hit some ledges in 50-55 feet that were loaded with mangos, a few sherpa, some very spooky gags of decent size, and FINALLY some decent hogfish. My last dive on a nice ledge I cleaned up pretty well with mangs and hogs. Viz there was maybe 12 feet, but that's my favorite kind of hunting where I can see the fish before they can see me.

No sharks seen (doesn't mean they weren't there - LOL), and a good day, though a long one. I think I'll be sticking to the 50' or less ledges for right now as it seemed like the extra time and gas getting out deeper didn't really pay off.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #1663
The Bloody Boat

08/18 cedar key 25 foot vis at 40 feet. Shot one good gag 14# and one hog. Saw a lot of small gags and had to work hard to get the one. Water was rough 4-5 not much fun in a 22 Proline. Hoping to get at least 1 summer glass day this year not too optimistic.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #1664
lsanger

Did anyone get out in the past couple days ? Got any good news to report ?
Hoping to go out in the morning out of New Pass (Sarasota)
lsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #1665
Jonboy

Fri 8/21 headed west out of Bayport. Nasty storm sitting 8 miles off the coast in AM. Anchored up and waited it out. Finally got out to 28 miles in 55ft. 20 ft horiz vis. Not much on grouper but did manage my first cobia. I was hesitant to take the shot while free shafting for fear of losing it and fish but let it fly and thankfully stoned em. We moved around from 20 to 30 miles and did several drops anywhere from 40-55 ft. Not many keeper gags seen and the ones we did were spooky. Buddy and I managed a cobia, 10 nice keeper hogs and 1 30 inch gag. Funny story...buddy shoots at gag through crack in rock. Fish come off when pulling spear. I go to assist. Buddy trying to get fish on one side and I'm looking through a small frisbee size hole on the other. I see fish tale occasionally. Finally stick my arm all the in and after several attempts I get his throat and wrestle the still lively fish out. Noodle'n for gags!!lol. Arm is hamburger today!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	220876  
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote