Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #2236
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Solid Cobia there!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #2237
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
Solid Cobia there!
Thanks, Charlie! I was so damn stoked to not only get him with some relatively minimal trouble, but that my brother was able to assist - he's a former Recon Marine, current Army Lt. Col, Sheriff's deputy, and has done two tours in Iraq (lots of combat) - I think it shows in his shot placement - LOL.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #2238
dkay

Nice cobia and video! That fish looks like it should be in one of the Hellraiser movies at the end there!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #2239
Riptide1

So that's what a porcupine fish looks like.

Nice job.

Glad to hear you had a chance to spend time with your brother.

Tell him thanks for his services.
Riptide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #2240
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkay View Post
Nice cobia and video! That fish looks like it should be in one of the Hellraiser movies at the end there!
Pinhead the Cobia - ROFL.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #2241
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide1 View Post
So that's what a porcupine fish looks like.

Nice job.

Glad to hear you had a chance to spend time with your brother.

Tell him thanks for his services.
Thank you. Funny, my brother and I practically hated each other when we were young - totally 180 degrees opposite spectrum. But at the age of 45 for me, 42 for him, we discovered by accident we had a similar passion (boating, fishing, diving) and have spent more quality time together as a result of that, and have bonded tighter in the past 4 years than the previous 38.

So spearfishing CAN have other benefits. I feel truly blessed.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #2242
Jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I think I got some good video on one ascent of a shark bending and turning tail when he hit the force field. I'll be sure to post.

I estimate the gang of 3 bulls on the second dive at 10 ft+ and 8ft+ on the third. First time for me at depth with sharks. Holy shit were they big. A completely different perspective than looking down on them fishing. Great experience though. I needed that and now I'll be happy to not see one the rest of the year.

Flat calm is the only way to describe today. Look real close at this picture. The horizon is not what it seems. You couldn't hardly tell where the sky ended and the sea began.
Wow! What a day. Can't beat that. Sorry about the sharks. Was hoping to get out this Friday but looks like the winds are picking up some and then next week we may be facing a TS.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #2243
Jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
That picture is amazing - you had to be there, but it was SO flat it was a mirror for the clouds.

Oh, and I think that fish we were all trying to nail between the shark amigos was a BIG kingfish.
Nice cobia grey! Congrats. Iv seen a kingfish one time just north of your area. Dang thing looked ginormous under water. I couldn't get a shot either. Looks like you had 2 good days in a row. Thank your brother for his service.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #2244
lsanger

Nice cobia.
lsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #2245
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Went out today - almost called it due to wind/conditions but figured WTF - launched out of Seminole ramps. Went out 15 miles to some ledges in 50 feet. Good viz, light current, SOLID fish on my drops. We got our limit of hogs, a big mango, 2 nice red grouper, 1 lionfish. Only saw the taxman one time and he was about 6 feet and not aggressive. Found a new spot - amazing ledge LOADED with fish - holy crap. Lots of triggers and some AJ (GRRRRR!)

Last edited by grey2112; 08-28-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #2246
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

15 miles offshore of Clearwater Beach today - decent viz, little current. Dropped on a few new and old numbers - great ledges, lots of relief, lots of life, but not any huge fish. No lion fish, all gags were 22"-23.5", with one or two very wary exceptions. No sharks. Dove some ledges that I hope in the Fall or Winter will be nice - LOTS of life. Got a hog, a few decent mangos, but nothing else.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #2247
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Just heard from a buddy of mine who nailed a 57" cobia about 13-15 miles out of Tarpon today - WOW! Can't wait to see the pics - will post them when I can.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #2248
Seal Rock

A solid 100+ mile day of hot dropping between 35 miles and 12 miles out on the radar. Left Seminole just before 0800, mostly flat. By 0930 the seas kicked up to 3-4, occ 5. Flat again by 1500.

80-90' seems to be where the gags are, shot my personal best. Stoned a 40"+ with a shot from over 10'. It was one of those take the snap shot NOW or talk about what you could've hit at the bar. Bob from Rockbottom divers had modified my Ocean Rhino to shoot lights out and give me another five feet of range, today it really paid off. I always head down with both barrels loaded so I had the range and penetration to get the job done. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting a gag this size so I was setup to freeshaft. Would've had two but the first tore off before I could reload. Still brought one gag, a limit of hogs and boat limit of big snapper back to the dock.

On our way back I wanted to drop my good friend Nic on several new spots I picked up with the side scan on previous trips. I stopped by an un-marked, very small wreck/debris pile in 35-40'. The side and down scan were glowing with big fish and epic bait balls to the surface. He dropped in, popped to the surface and said, "Give me the Riffe, give me the damn Riffe!" Over the side I handed him his blue water gun. Moments later he came to the surface and says, "You reel this bitch in, I'm not wasting the air." Two of us strained against the mono and once we had Nic back up we managed to drag this sucker in... He nearly filled the other fish locker himself. Congrats to a great dude! The kinda dude that always has your back and is made as tough as they get.

He was happy to say the least.... A good day.

Last edited by Seal Rock; 08-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #2249
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
A solid 100+ mile day of hot dropping between 35 miles and 12 miles out on the radar. Left Seminole just before 0800, mostly flat. By 0930 the seas kicked up to 3-4, occ 5. Flat again by 1500.

80-90' seems to be where the gags are, shot my personal best. Stoned a 40"+ with a shot from over 10'. It was one of those take the snap shot NOW or talk about what you could've hit at the bar. Bob from Rockbottom divers had modified my Ocean Rhino to shoot lights out and give me another five feet of range, today it really paid off. I always head down with both barrels loaded so I had the range and penetration to get the job done. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting a gag this size so I was setup to freeshaft. Would've had two but the first tore off before I could reload. Still brought one gag, a limit of hogs and boat limit of big snapper back to the dock.

On our way back I wanted to drop my good friend Nic on several new spots I picked up with the side scan on previous trips. I stopped by an un-marked, very small wreck/debris pile in 35-40'. The side and down scan were glowing with big fish and epic bait balls to the surface. He dropped in, popped to the surface and said, "Give me the Riffe, give me the damn Riffe!" Over the side I handed him his blue water gun. Moments later he came to the surface and says, "You reel this bitch in, I'm not wasting the air." Two of us strained against the mono and once we had Nic back up we managed to drag this sucker in... He nearly filled the other fish locker himself. Congrats to a great dude! The kinda dude that always has your back and is made as tough as they get.

He was happy to say the least.... A good day.

AWESOME! Nic called me last night - just had to "one up" me - LOL.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #2250
CuzzA

Can't see pics.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote