Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
codfishhead

Cold weather diving

My first year diving so I’m clueless. I need to know how people stay warm from now on. Give me a run through. Do you put your suit on at the ramp and don’t take it off until you return? I have a wide open CC with nowhere to hide from the wind. What’s the coldest air and water temp I should consider diving in? I have a 5mm Mako suit.

Thx

Jay
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
stripey

Re: Cold weather diving

I have a small open boat too. We just pic our days and keep diving till the water temps go below 50. That's when things disappear and head for deeper waters. Was togging rod and reel yesterday in Stonington and the water was still 60.6 in 12 feet on outgoing tide.
stripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Dgleeson

bring a cooler full of hot water to put in your suit before you jump in!
Dgleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Coldwaterspear
Seal Pup Slayer

For some reason, sitting in my wetsuit out of the water makes me really really cold. My suggestion is don't suit up until your at your spot (but layer/make sure you stay warm on the trip out) and then suit up and jump in. Hot water for prolonging your time out of the water, but from my experience, once you start getting cold there's not a lot you can do about it. If it's going to be an hour or so before you dive again, get out of your suit, dry off/warm up in dry clothes, and then get back in your suit. A huge pain in the ass but it's the only thing that has ever worked for me.
Coldwaterspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
gillotine

Before I found that there was a warm place to dive in cold weather, here's what I learned about winter diving with a wetsuit. Of course, if you use scuba, get a drysuit with integrated boots, hood, and make some dry gloves. You also need good underwear that will insulate while wet because a little water almost always gets in.
With a wetsuit:
Put it on at the last minute.
Pour hot water in just before you jump in.
Wear gloves at least 3mm thick and use polypro glove liners.
Same with neoprene socks and use polypro socks inside.
If you are using a boat, get out of the suit fast, dry off, and get dressed using hat, gloves, and clothing that would be too warm if you were not in a boat.
If you are doing a shore dive, put cheap seat covers in your vehichle,drive home in your wetsuit and take it off in the shower
Do whatever you can to make your suit tight. Wearing polypro underwear helps.
When I say polypro, I mean a fabric that doesn't absorb water.
Your weak link is your hands. One of the first things you will lose in cold water is the strenght in your fingers and hands. Not good if you have to deal with equipment.
Oh , you are going to piss alot.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
msuzuki126
Matt

Send a message via AIM to msuzuki126

If I'm suiting up before the ride out on a cold day, I'll wear a sweatshirt and windbreaker over my suit until I hop in the water. The windbreaker seems to really help. Keeping your suit's hood on makes a huge difference too if it's that cold
msuzuki126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
LIfishslayer

Wind tends to go through neoprene so in the boat you need a cover up. I wear a grunden type jacket and pants over my suit. Any type of windbreaker helps. Also you need something on your feet for the cold deck. Crocs are good but i have 5 mm hard sole booties that are big enough to fit over 5 mm socks.
LIfishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
spearoscott

As others have said, wear some type of wind breaker. Over dress for the cold on the way in after the dive , but i like to have a little cool feel before I jump in. I do not use hot water before the dive, I hate how it makes the ocean feel even colder. I do like using hot water during/after the dive. If you can change quick and dry off /dress fast after the dive I would. Sometimes though in the car I do drive home in the suit and take it off in the shower like Gillotine suggests.

I only wear a 5/4/3 scuba suit with a hooded vest in cold weather and we dove a few times right through the winter and into early spring. No fish , but great vis and lots of great tasting shellfish in cold water.

drink hot drinks before and after the dive.
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
codfishhead

Thank you everyone.

With just summer diving gear my little 17'3" CC is loaded. I'm going to need a bigger boat to bring proper winter clothing.
I drive from Middlebury to Stonington CT/RI to launch. 1.5hr drive so leaving the suit on isn't an opion. I think the wind breaker/winter gear plus hot water for the run in might work best for me.

Any rec for socks? I have 5mm socks but they're not tight at all and fill right up with water. My suit is very tight and doesn't let it much if any water so I think I'll be dry. Also have 5mm tight gloves.

I just bought a couple cases of hand, foot, and bosy warmers for hunting. They'll be coming along for sure.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
gillotine

Keep an unbroken hand warmer pack where you get at it easily and stuff it in your glove if you lose use of your fingers due to the cold.
That saved me from having to cut off my scuba backplate harness so I could climb back in the boar.