Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
FalconSpearo

Post Hogfish Population Report

Hey y'all!

So I went diving yesterday off Miami to my usual spots. Usually, I would be able to take home about 1-3 hogs sizes 12" to 14" tops. However, today was the first time I went since the Hogfish season closed in August and WOW have they bounced back. I must have seen at least 100 hogs in a couple hours.

These are my estimations based off of memory and perception (not an actual scientific study) (I normally have a good eye for fish measurements in the water):
In 6 hours of diving at depths of 20-50ft I saw well over 100 hogs here is the size distribution:
Less than 12": over 60
12"-13": ~20 of them
13"-14": ~10
14"-15": ~10
15"-16": ~5
16"+: 2-3

The season regulation is working wonders for Hogfish populations!

Keep it up guys!
Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Re: Hogfish Population Report

I read this twice trying to decipher whether or not you were making this post sarcasticly. The new hog regulations are less than a month into it for recreational spearos. While i do think that with time the new regulations will help increase the number of hogs, there are likely other factors contributing to the increase in hogs being seen. I am sure the florida fish and wildlife and NOAA would love to take credit already.

Either way it makes me happy to see increased number of hogs around. I have seen some great hogs the last few dives.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

The size distrubution mentioned do not reflect a healthy population of hogfish.
Nor do they represent historical distributions of even 20 years ago.

That being said,I'm glad to hear people are seeing them.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
FalconSpearo

This was not sarcastic. This was a ROUGH estimate from the top of my head because every time I dove a spot I wouldget back on the boat and say "I saw about 10 hogs at this spot" I dove in over 10 spots so thats why I said these numbers. Another possibility is that some hogs I saw more than once when exploring the same reef. (The hog just swam around past me twice or something)

The point of this post was not of research or scientific study, the point is that there are most hogs out right now in the spots I've been going to for years. I think its attributed to the new regulations. I could have speared over 10 of them if I wanted to but instead it made me happy to see so many of them swimming free so instead I pet a couple of them lol (legit they let me get so close I just pet them) (I was kidding about spearing them, I respect the regulations)

I am sure, I am not the only one seeing these crazy high numbers or am I? Did I just have a lucky day?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Jankglass

just curious what marina you leave from? I actually go to Miami from the keys to get my hogfish. There are a few patches close to shore stacked with big hogs/reds in less then 25ft
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
just curious what marina you leave from? I actually go to Miami from the keys to get my hogfish. There are a few patches close to shore stacked with big hogs/reds in less then 25ft
I go off of Black Point Marina
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
Archerr

I was also diving off of Boca Raton in depths from 30-60 feet on Friday and saw tons of hogs. Mostly very juvenile fish and most (~60) were about 4-6" in length. Don't know if something brought them in or if there was just a large spawning around the area.
Archerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerr View Post
I was also diving off of Boca Raton in depths from 30-60 feet on Friday and saw tons of hogs. Mostly very juvenile fish and most (~60) were about 4-6" in length. Don't know if something brought them in or if there was just a large spawning around the area.
Yes indeed mostly juvenile fish but nonetheless a huge rise in numbers from what I normally see.

I am used to seeing hogs but not no where near 100 per day. Usually around ~30 with about 2-4 being of legal size.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
Seadive1

Anyone think this will affect say grouper populations or other fish that may feed on the hogs? Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seadive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
Mcdiver matt

I’ve been seeing good numbers on my kayak dives off of Key West
Lately, I saw eight or nine that were 16 inch plus. A lot of people are bitching, but in a few years you’re going to see some giantsClick image for larger version

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	236223Attachment 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
Mcdiver matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	112.9 KB