Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

I'm coming out of the closet, I'm a Seal lover.

I'm coming out of the closet as a seal lover hahaha. Seriously though I had a fantastic day in the ocean and wanted to share the stoke.

I was shore diving La Jolla and on my way back in had quite a shock when a medium sized Harbor Seal "hugged my fin". I jerked as it was unexpected and scared him off but after the initial shock I hung out to see what was up with this seal. I stayed relaxed and the seal gained confidence it started to softly scratch my wetsuit and gear with the little claws on the end of his fins. Every time it came to touch me or hug me I would sneak in a little pet. I had some holes in my gloves so I could feel the texture of his fur, it was surprisingly soft and blubbery. After a few minutes the seal was so comfortable with me that I was petting him like a pet dog, rubbing his head, scratching his back, etc. The seal kept hugging my arm and would try to get close to my face, I didn't trust him enough for that so I had to keep pushing him back away from my face. This went on for about 30 min until I decided to get out. When I was on the beach the seal stayed in the water but watched me from the water line. I decided that this was such a cool experience that I shouldn't cut it short so I got back in the water and sure enough he came back for more hugs and petting. I literally cuddled with him for another 20 min before I really had to go.

It was a pretty awesome moment and will go down as one of my most memorial dives. I was bummed I didn't have a gopro on me. I still really hate sea lions but I think seals are pretty cool.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
unkabonka

Re: I'm coming out of the closet, I'm a Seal lover.

I think a lot of us have had a similar experience. some like it, others don't. I think it's a lot of fun. I'll bet that was a seal from the Children's pool, so it was probably well acclimated to human interaction.

here is my "fun" seal video at the childrens pool

Now talking about sea lions, that is a pretty different story.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
SeaRanchAbLingr

I too have a soft spot for harbor seals from similar experiences during dives. Although I've been annoyed and/or startled by them just as many times, I would like to think that some of these experiences were "mammalian connection" type ones but I'm not sure. Like you I was still always a little wary, there being no real "facial expressions" or "body language" that I could read. One time when one got real close, I looked into his eyes- his eyes were soooo dark-like I couldn't see a pupil or anything-it was just an endless cloudy black abyss and then I saw some of his teeth poking out from under his upper lip which usually covers them and they weren't not sharp-I just realized that I didn't really know the creature at all and so yeah I stayed a little wary, though I don't dislike seeing them in the water when I dive. As soon as I know they're there, I get much less startled when a big gray thing zooms by me and they don't have any affect on ab diving really. Spearfishing might be a different story, and probably more so I'd imagine for you guys that are stalking really wary fish like WSB or something. I did have one in Monterey that would just not leave the opaque green blades of my C4 wahoos alone-it was totally mesmerized by them and it followed me everywhere, either rubbing on or nipping at their edges or swimming circles around me. I was hunting fish so it was a little annoying/distracting. I ended up poking him after about a half hour. It didn't seem to alarm him but it seemed like he got the picture that I was tiring of the game and he gave me more space.
SeaRanchAbLingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
aresodin
Slinging

Awesome!
aresodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I love harbor seals, always have
people who like them but don't dive tend to be colossal cunts though
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
glassbreaker

I had a harbor seal do the same thing to me in Dana point! As he grabbed onto my arm with his little fins I would scratch his stomach . When it was time to leave he followed me into the surf line and I had to almost push him away.
glassbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post

http://youtu.be/Xd-hjg4LCx4
Your video appears to have been shut down
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post
I think a lot of us have had a similar experience. some like it, others don't. I think it's a lot of fun. I'll bet that was a seal from the Children's pool, so it was probably well acclimated to human interaction.

http://youtu.be/Xd-hjg4LCx4

Now talking about sea lions, that is a pretty different story.
Is that your channel dude?
The one of the mako from the pvc cage was hilarious.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Bill McIntyre

I like harbor seals too, and have had similar experiences.

Its still startling to be cruising along at 25 feet and have something grab your fins though.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
aresodin
Slinging

Haven't been diving on the west coast and haven't had interactions with seals. What are the differences in temperament that you guys are talking about between the harbor seals and sea lions?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresodin View Post
Haven't been diving on the west coast and haven't had interactions with seals. What are the differences in temperament that you guys are talking about between the harbor seals and sea lions?
Big differences. The harbor seals often follow you around like puppies, and seem to want to make love. I've never had a seal try to take my fish.

The sea lions come zipping by fast and startle you, and they fight you for a speared fish. A buddy was cleaning a yellowtail on my swimstep one day when a huge bull sea lion took it out of his hands. He was lucky it didn't grab his hand along with the fish.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
SDDiver5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresodin View Post
Harbor seals are like puppies. Sea Lions are like fat annoying bastards.

Edit: Looks like Bill beat me to it.
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
unkabonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
Your video appears to have been shut down
Grrrr damn copyright crap! I think I fixed it now. If you go through the process of disputing the copyright infringement claim, they will reactivate the video until the appeal decision is made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Is that your channel dude?
The one of the mako from the pvc cage was hilarious.

Haha, yeah. I'm no Manny Puig, so when I have chummed up sharks out there in the summer time I feel a lot better hiding behind something. I've been out marlin fishing and seen makos finning with 5-7 ft distance between the dorsal and caudal fin, one of those could really ruin your day in the water. Keeps me humble.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
aresodin
Slinging

Many thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Cameronv
Ando26

Love those little guys
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote