Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Sunken Jetty on S Side of San Diego Bay

Has anybody on here dove the jetty that sticks out on the S side of the San Diego Bay? How was viz, what're the depths on both sides?

I've heard of and seen people catching some nice flatties on rod and reel and bugs hoopnetting there but never talked to anyone whos dove there.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
sdbr911

Re: Sunken Jetty on S Side of San Diego Bay

That jetty is called Zuniga jetty. If you do a search here or on google you will get some info. I haven't dove there yet but I plan to someday. I'm sure some of the SD locals will chime in. It's supposed to be good for lobster/halibut and other fish at some times. Watch the tide and current coming in/out of the bay. I think it's best accessed by boat or kayak because shore access isn't good (military on the coronado side.)
sdbr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Great place for all kinds of fish...big halibut too. Check tides before you go because currents can get pretty strong during incoming/outgoing. Try the eel grass a hundred yards or so south of the jetty, good flatty spot there too.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak

It sucks...don't go there...bad vis...lots of bacteria, pollution...etc....

AL
YakAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

It does have a lot of fish life but viz is always 5ft. I like to dive it but I will not eat any resident fish or lobster there. all fish and lobster I have got there taste really bad.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
isibrigade
Dustin McIntyre

This is my favorite spot for sculpin this time of year. Last year I took my limit there in about fifteen minutes. To do this, I would bring a float to string them up on. Yes, the visibility sucks, but you don't need much when your hunting sitting-ducks like sculpins. A simple polespear will serve this dive well. I've also seen some big flattys there. This is always a great default dive spot when the kelp in Point Loma is no good.

It may be easier to dive on a lower tide. Some of the submerged rock is pretty deep.

Do beware of those big 300lbs. seals that hang out there, (not the little harbor seals). They are pretty agressive. I've seen one swimming with a shovelnose (still alive) in its mouth . He was throwing him around at the surface. I could see the shark's tail fly back and forth above the water. I went a little closer to take a look and it seemed like he charged me, only to turn the last minute and go back to his game. I'd imagine they would be very capable of tampering with a stringer of fish if given the chance.

www.GATKU.com
www.CRISTSPEARS.com
isibrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Durango

Don't forget about the GWS attacking the sealions on the bouys right next to Zuniga earlier this year. There was a post on it on the board. Bottom line dark water, big apex predators, pollution and lots of boat traffic. Be careful if you decide to risk it.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
tom harding
idiot

dove there many times, vis is usually less than 8 ft, but plenty of bugs, and at the beginning of lobster season, you have to be really careful not to land on, or put your hands accidentally on sculpin. it's completely covered with them. the lobster i took from there tasted fine, must be from all the jet fuel nearby.
tom harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
sdbr911

Sounds like a good place to hoopnet instead
sdbr911 is offline   Reply With Quote