Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Bill McIntyre

Seals can stay for now

Quote:
Judge rules seals can stay, for now

A Superior Court judge Thursday lifted his order that the city of San Diego disperse harbor seals from the beach at the Children's Pool.

Judge Yuri Hofmann had given the city until midday Thursday to shoo the seals away and begin cleaning up their waste. But, hours later, the governor signed a bill that, in effect, gives the City Council the right to let the seals remain.

Hofmann lifted his order and set an Oct. 6 hearing on the two-decade dispute between people who say the La Jolla beach should be for children and those who say the seals should be allowed to remain.
Edit- Just in case there were any doubts, I've belatedly put this in quotes. It was an LA Times article.

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 07-25-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
isibrigade
Dustin McIntyre

Re: Seals can stay for now

Too many chiefs, not enough indians. . .

Just when we thought that this zit was going to pop. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see the end of this in our immediate lifetimes. Two decades and running. . . Don't hold your breath.

Much pushed legislation around this issue is driven by people with extreme passion and little common sense. The media isn't helping to disclose facts and logic either. I don't see how the city is going to avoid the responsibility of contamination though.

Anyone want to start a EOS (enemy of seals) 24-7 camp at the CP? We could make a billboards bigger than the FOS ones with slogans like,"Seals: Tastes like chicken". Or, "Seals, It's what's for dinner."

www.GATKU.com
www.CRISTSPEARS.com
isibrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
fishSTICKer916

I've never dove there (plan to some day) and I'm not from that area so I'm not sure if my opinion counts. Don't get me wrong, I love spearfishing but I think the seals have more right to be there than we do. It's their ocean. It's the same way I feel about GWS'. Just because they cause a problem for us, doesn't mean we can just get rid of them or take away their rights to their own property. I'm no seal hugger, but I do respect nature and it's inhabitance . Maybe I don't know the whole story, but from what I do understand, that's my two cents.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.
http://www.vimeo.com/2060317

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

fishSTICKer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Bill McIntyre

Oh boy!

I gather that you have not been following this very closely, but the spot is officially called "Children's Pool" for a reason. La Jolla philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps donated the funds in 1931 to build a sea wall in an attempt to close off the channel and create a safe bathing area for children. She didn't intend to build an area for seals to haul out, but they have taken over and created a pollution hazard for children.

If you are a big fan of nature, then the man-made breakwater should be removed, and then neither seals nor kids could use the spot.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Gener
Jet Ski Mafia

I'm not a EOS. Only a EOFOS.
Gener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
sb spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gener View Post
seals are pretty cool when there not stealing fish
sb spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
fishSTICKer916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Oh boy!

I gather that you have not been following this very closely, but the spot is officially called "Children's Pool" for a reason. La Jolla philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps donated the funds in 1931 to build a sea wall in an attempt to close off the channel and create a safe bathing area for children. She didn't intend to build an area for seals to haul out, but they have taken over and created a pollution hazard for children.

If you are a big fan of nature, then the man-made breakwater should be removed, and then neither seals nor kids could use the spot.
lol Yah i haven't. Like I said, I didn't really know the whole story. Thanks for the clarification. As for the man-made wall, I've never seen the place so I figured it was just a protected cove or something.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
isibrigade
Dustin McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gener View Post
Agreed,
I used a bad example to make a point.

My point, poorly conveyed, is that the general public is getting fed fallacy after fallacy from the FOS and the media that follows them.

It would be equivilant to us spearos having signs similar to the above and everyone believing it.

www.GATKU.com
www.CRISTSPEARS.com
Old 07-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
isibrigade
Dustin McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post

Bill,
While I agree with your logic, it would be a sad day to see the wall come down simply because the issue couldn't be resolved either way.
If I was to leave a legacy as Ellen Browning did only to have beaurocrats tear it down in years to come, where is the justice?

www.GATKU.com
www.CRISTSPEARS.com
Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isibrigade View Post
Bill,
While I agree with your logic, it would be a sad day to see the wall come down simply because the issue couldn't be resolved either way.
If I was to leave a legacy as Ellen Browning did only to have beaurocrats tear it down in years to come, where is the justice?
I don't think it should be torn down either. My comment was in reply to "its their ocean." This cove wasn't built as their ocean.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishSTICKer916 View Post
I've never dove there (plan to some day) and I'm not from that area so I'm not sure if my opinion counts. Don't get me wrong, I love spearfishing but I think the seals have more right to be there than we do. It's their ocean. It's the same way I feel about GWS'. Just because they cause a problem for us, doesn't mean we can just get rid of them or take away their rights to their own property. I'm no seal hugger, but I do respect nature and it's inhabitance . Maybe I don't know the whole story, but from what I do understand, that's my two cents.
Well...if that's how you feel, you need to go ahead and tear down your house, shed your clothes and walk on out into the forest to live with the animals because if you don't then somehow you are infringing upon nature and it's creatures....actually, you should probably just stop breathing now.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
fishSTICKer916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well...if that's how you feel, you need to go ahead and tear down your house, shed your clothes and walk on out into the forest to live with the animals because if you don't then somehow you are infringing upon nature and it's creatures....actually, you should probably just stop breathing now.
If I could, I would. That would be pretty fun. I think your being a little harsh though. I'm not trying to make any enemies here. It was just a little misunderstanding. Please refer to my last post.

Humans are ment to live on land, so we have rights to the land as well. That includes the air we breath. Again, I'm not trying to argue, just figured I would input my thoughts.

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
fishSTICKer916

Just curious. How would they get the seals to leave and stay away?

Mark Twain

Knowledge is Power.

www.Freediveshop.com

www.cristspears.com

Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishSTICKer916 View Post
Just curious. How would they get the seals to leave and stay away?
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=88415
Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Ron S

I really hadn't paid much attention to this issue either, (living as far away as fishsticker does myself), and might have even had the same first reaction that fishsticker did, until I wandered down to CP with my family on vacation a few years ago. Seeing what a mess the area was, and how idiotic the seal folks were behaving, it took significant self control not to lose it. Also, just prior to my trip I had learned about the origin and original intention of the wall.
To me it's just insane to call what they're doing "protection" of any aspect of the environment, including the seals. When you go to such lengths to isolate and "protect" one link in the chain, it just screws up everything else, including that link itself, but God help you if you challenge that protection. You're sure to be labelled as anti-environment to some degree, which no political figure wants to suffer.
It also drives me nuts that you're either an environmentalist or a consumptive. To me, people who hunt and fish for their food are, for the most part, the ultimate environmentalists, because we have a very personal interest in preserving the resources for ourselves and our children.
OK, clearly too much coffee this morning. End of rant...
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote