Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
spearomurray

Finished my First Gun Build

Hey Guys,
I just finished my first gun build and wanted to share a few photos. To give you some background, I've been hunting norcal and cencal with a riffe 110 on breakaway. Love that gun, but obviously way too long for norcal. I ended up building an 84 cm mid-handle. Jerry at Spearfishing Solutions helped me out picking up all the neptonics hardware. And the freedive shop helped with shaft, bands, etc...

A few things I learned:
1) Routers are amazing at removing material you do want gone and material you don't

2) West Systems G-flex is fantastic at filling and laminating mistakes you made with your router.

3) Folks are right about mid-handles shooting very differently from regular euros.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1227.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	231779   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1246.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	231780   Click image for larger version

Name:	17160367_10155050513204291_376750941_n.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	231781  
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Mike N

Re: Finished my First Gun Build

Nicely done, but realize you are now doomed!

MN

manmidhandles@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/ManMidHandleSpearguns/
Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
FreediveCA

Nice. Get some blood on that thing. I don't see a loading pad. My pansie ass couldn't handle that. Cheap flip flop and some super glue... that's the ticket.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

Very nice first homebuild gun. I build all my own guns using Australian mechanisms which hold up quite well. Now, all your dive buddies will want you to build one for them! Consider a table extension straight edge on future guns when cutting with a router...short straight edge guides won't take out the curve in long pieces of wood and the shaft groove will follow the curve, throwing off accuracy somewhat...you can adjust your aim to compensate for it, but, a perfectly straight groove is better...
...To avoid overcutting, I fit the mechanism first, then, work the groove down with the router, removing the mechanism each time while cutting...the last few routes, I use the micro adjustment on the router to cut and fit until the shaft slides into the mechanism perfectly...if doing more than one gun, save time by making a template of the mech. fit and bolt holes for layout on the following guns...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-08-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Castor

Nice job!! I like that gun a lot. It looks like a great all around shorter range gun. Congrats!
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
The Plumber
Armed snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Very nice first homebuild gun. I build all my own guns using Australian mechanisms which hold up quite well. Now, all your dive buddies will want you to build one for them! Consider a table extension straight edge on future guns when cutting with a router...short straight edge guides won't take out the curve in long pieces of wood and the shaft groove will follow the curve, throwing off accuracy somewhat...you can adjust your aim to compensate for it, but, a perfectly straight groove is better...
...To avoid overcutting, I fit the mechanism first, then, work the groove down with the router, removing the mechanism each time while cutting...the last few routes, I use the micro adjustment on the router to cut and fit until the shaft slides into the mechanism perfectly...if doing more than one gun, save time by making a template of the mech. fit and bolt holes for layout on the following guns...
Curious about the Aussie mechs.

Great first build!!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Lompoc Local
Errin

Nice work

Looks like you maximized the shorter length of the gun by setting that mech waaaaaaayyy back. Never seen one that close to the butt before

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
spearomurray

Hey Guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. Bob, I used my version of a table extension straight edge for most of the cuts. The one router picture I uploaded showed the MDF template I used to get the curve where the stock changes width at the base of the gun. I appreciate your advice on trigger mechanism fitting, I'll definitely have to incorporate that strategy in my next build.

FreediveCA, I took it out last Saturday out at Garrapata. Aiming it took some getting used to, but I was stoked with the power and the maneuverability. Way better than a 110 lol. It is a pain in the ass to load because the mech is so close to the butt of the gun. I decided to go ahead and pay the big bucks and get some flip flops at CVS to make a butt pad. I was too excited to get in the water to bother putting it on though.

Lompoc Local, I definitely did everything I could do to maximize band stretch on this gun. There's a 1/4" of stock between the mech pocket and the end of the gun. I also put the line release behind the band slot. I took advantage of the fact that I only needed to squeeze two bands in, and so didn't have to position the line guide too far back.

Next step is a big 155 for some weekends out at the islands this summer. And Mike N, it is a sickness. All I'm thinking about now is the next gun.

Cheers
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote