Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Mana'squal

How much curve can I plane from a blank

I've got about 1/8inch curve occurring in the last 12 inches of my blank. Should I simply plane it out or remove the offending 12 inches?

Blank hasn't aged and was only glued 24 hours ago.

Can I clamp it out?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Mana'squal

Re: How much curve can I plane from a blank

I took a block plane to my excess epoxy and have it clamped with the bow facing up <- (

Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Behslayer

You should clamp it to a straight edge for your glue up but after that your best bet would be to put a centered eye screw in one end and let that thing Hang for two weeks or as long as you can after that. Months are not bad.. Ideally you should have picked up on that Curve from the lams before Gluing. For now. Let it hang for two weeks and then see where you are. Don't plane it down yet.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Behslayer

One other thing you could do would be to Heat it up until the whole end where that bend is until it's pretty hot to the touch. One way to do this would be to wrap it in a Towel and pour some Hot Water over it. Another way would be to use a Heat Gun. It's not the most ideal situation as too much heat could effect your epoxy. But, Heat it up a bit and put a 1/4" Dowel or even 1/2" dowel under center point of that warp and then clamp it down and let it sit for a day or two. Then let it hang for two weeks.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
You should clamp it to a straight edge for your glue up but after that your best bet would be to put a centered eye screw in one end and let that thing Hang for two weeks or as long as you can after that. Months are not bad.. Ideally you should have picked up on that Curve from the lams before Gluing. For now. Let it hang for two weeks and then see where you are. Don't plane it down yet.
The curvature was nowhere to be seen when I layed out my lams. I will certainly be getting some steel to clamp to in the future. I've never experienced any warping before. I think I should not have used such thick lams. I'll be keeping them under a half inch thick in the future. I took a block plane to it to remove epoxy and am just letting it cure clamped for another day then I'll hang it and straighten it.

Wasn't as bad as I thought initially but it's still not ideal.

Learning experience.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
One other thing you could do would be to Heat it up until the whole end where that bend is until it's pretty hot to the touch. One way to do this would be to wrap it in a Towel and pour some Hot Water over it. Another way would be to use a Heat Gun. It's not the most ideal situation as too much heat could effect your epoxy. But, Heat it up a bit and put a 1/4" Dowel or even 1/2" dowel under center point of that warp and then clamp it down and let it sit for a day or two. Then let it hang for two weeks.
Is there any danger of the wood returning to warp after trying to remove it like this? I don't want my track to curve in 3 years because I thought I could steam it out. I'm leaning towards aging it then straightening it. Then giving it 4 weeks to decide if it's set.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #7
Mikel_24

Wood is usually the cheapest part of a wooden gun. The hardware you will be using AND the man-hours it will require to become a complete gun are much more important.

If you have any doubts, discard it and glue a new blank.

If you go ahead and try to straighten it, plane it, whatever, I would suggest to shape it quickly and skin it with carbon fiber. It will "help" the wood to retain shape. I did exactly this and the wood still curved a bit (downwards), but I can live with that.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
Mana'squal

At this point my plan is to age a few weeks first. Then remove the warp with a table saw and straightening jig.
I'm going to add some lost width back to the blank and some color with some nice quartersawn padauk I already have had cut to size and waiting. I'll age it again at that point and see if it's scrap or straight.

I'm definitely not going to waste my time shaping a piece of wood that might move later.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
deanmc
FII Professional

I use two lengths of this aluminum angle and sandwich my lams between it during the glue up. I let my epoxy cure for minimum of 24 hours and then hang like Jon said. Another thing is make sure your wood has acclimated to its new environment for a while before cutting or laying up your blank. When I buy wood I bring it home, put it in my shop and I don't start cutting it for at least a month. You may not have to wait that long but that's just how I work and so far I've never had a blank twist or wind up crooked in any way.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...62&top_cat=60#
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I use two lengths of this aluminum angle and sandwich my lams between it during the glue up. I let my epoxy cure for minimum of 24 hours and then hang like Jon said. Another thing is make sure your wood has acclimated to its new environment for a while before cutting or laying up your blank. When I buy wood I bring it home, put it in my shop and I don't start cutting it for at least a month. You may not have to wait that long but that's just how I work and so far I've never had a blank twist or wind up crooked in any way.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...62&top_cat=60#
Thanks for the link to the metal.

This warp is all on me. I saw it in my stock and convinced myself it would be offset by the opposing warp.
Learning moment

Old 12-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #11
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Thanks for the link to the metal.
I would use square or rectangular steel tube. Heavy walled. Two pieces of 6 feet each. Much more rigid, and much cheaper than aluminum.

That's what I use.

And if I ever need to put together some kind of weird jig with it (say you want to clamp in two different directions), I can tack weld some angle, flat stock or another piece of tube easily.
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
Mike N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
At this point my plan is to age a few weeks first. Then remove the warp with a table saw and straightening jig.
I'm going to add some lost width back to the blank
I would do and have done this.

Use thinner lams next time.

MN

manmidhandles@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/ManMidHandleSpearguns/
Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Mana'squal

I ended up taking a piece of hardboard and straightline cut it off the clean edge to make a 2 inch strip.

Took my clean 2 inch strip and used double sided tape to fix it to my curved blank.

Then i just set my giant 2.5 inch flush trim bit to line up with my template and cleaned the curve out.

Left some shatter from the bit skipping a little but overall worked extremely well.

I added some additional Padauk and will let it cure again for a few more weeks before getting the fun started.

Ill throw up some pictures at some point when time allows.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
Mana'squal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	241293Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	241294Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	241295

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #15
Mana'squal

Very happy with the result. Planed off the glue so it can age properly but itís straight as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk