Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
Kiwizach

1.5 wraps set up

Hi guys,

Any ideas out there on how to set up a pipe gun with 1.5 wraps?

I don't like two wraps as I find it gives the fish too much space to hole up, even when I am very fast on the retrieve. This is a problem as I am in Broome, West Australia, we have coral and serious shark numbers, so holed up fish wreak havoc on shooting lines and I like to get fish out of the water and into my float boat as fast as possible to avoid shark problems.

However I have had a couple of occasions where I've been targeting flighty fish and have taken shots that are well aimed but the shaft hits the end of the shooting line juuust before reaching the fish.

Shooting a 95 meandros with a 7mm shaft and twin 14s at 360% so still heaps of power past one wrap.

I don't particularly want to drill into the barrel between the barrel plugs and compromise bouyancy so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Kiwizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:05 AM   #2
divenfish

Re: 1.5 wraps set up

You could tuck the shooting line under the bands, or attach a short piece of line and tuck it under the bands, same as you would do to keep a spectra sliptip in place. Alternately you could glue or friction fit a line clip half way onto the barrel (see attachment I hijacked from someone else's posting)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 10.53.45 PM.png
Views:	221
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	247453  
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Behslayer

You could get a shaft with a sharkfin or doghouse mid length and tie there, skinning the rabbit backwards.. you could get some kind of tubing the diamter of the barrel, cut away the top portion and affix to gun middle using epoxy. This would allow you attach whatever kind of line guide you wanted to the tubing/piping. You could scuff up the area, and Epoxy something to the barrel directly, could add some filler to the epoxy and shape a line guide from the material itself.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
popgun pete

With a shooting line attached at the spear tail and one line wrap on a gun with a muzzle line anchor you get three spear lengths of line behind the spear at full line deployment. Two line wraps gives you five spear lengths of line behind the spear at full line deployment. So what you need for four spear lengths of line is one full line wrap and a half wrap to a small hook on the shooting line. That means you do the last line wrap onto the line itself. For cord type shooting line, not mono. Spearguns with line slides and two line wraps only get four lengths anyway, but your gun has a pin wrap muzzle.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
Kiwizach

Thanks guys,

Behslayer, that is my current thoughts on how to get the job done, was thinking a piece of the appropriate diameter PVC pressure pipe may do the job.

Popgun Pete.
Never thought about attaching a hook to the shooting line, will look into that option too.

Appreciate the input.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #6
Mike N

A buddy of mine had me an an extra line wrap hook on the blank about halfway up the gun.
MN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DFE56F6-DEC2-41F9-AAD6-7062F7BE4E01.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	247465   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D816A64-760C-49E8-8459-BE755254060B.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	247466  

manmidhandles@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/ManMidHandleSpearguns/
Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
Kiwizach

Thanks for your input guys.
This is the solution I came up with.

Glass reinforced epoxy putty and some 316 stainless. See how it holds up in the long run.

Cheers

Old 12-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
Kiwizach

Obviously will give it a touch up with sandpaper in a bit, once I know it's not just gonna fall off

Old 12-16-2021, 02:25 AM   #9
Behslayer

2.5 wraps?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
Kiwizach

Nah, 1.5 wraps. Same as how you set yours up except I run a float line so I do the short wrap then the long wrap to the muzzle bungee. I think you do the long wrap first then the short one back to the reel.

A full double wrap would give me 2.4m extra shooting line compared to a single wrap. This gives me 1.2m of extra range compared to a conventional single wrap.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:11 AM   #11
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

how'd that half-wrap tab work out Zach? the putty stay stuck?
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #12
Kiwizach

Hey mate, yep, it worked well, I have it set up on my 120 which doesn't get a heap of use up here, but it has worked well and hasn't shown any signs of coming off. To be clear this is marine epoxy putty to which I have added chopped glass fibres as reinforcement.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #13
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

still using that half-wrap tab on yr barrel mate? changed it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwizach View Post
Hey mate, yep, it worked well, I have it set up on my 120 which doesn't get a heap of use up here, but it has worked well and hasn't shown any signs of coming off. To be clear this is marine epoxy putty to which I have added chopped glass fibres as reinforcement.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote