Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
kwyoungspear

Re: Jail for Lionfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
Your identification says you live in Juno Beach, so which is it?
Lmao. I’m sure the second he bought the house he thought to himself “shit, I better change my location on a dying spearfishing forum right away” but just got caught up with things that actually matter.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Lmao. I’m sure the second he bought the house he thought to himself “shit, I better change my location on a dying spearfishing forum right away” but just got caught up with things that actually matter.
And that all matters WHY???
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #18
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

Team Shark Tales came to the Treasure Coast Shootout one year and lined up their fish so their top shooter forgot his name Aquatech, I think was his spearboard name shot the heaviest fish in each category then #2 shooter shot the second heaviest in every category #3 and so on. This is mathematically possible, barley.
They had 5 shooters.
They thought we were all idiots.
R

Last edited by diverik; 11-07-2019 at 07:26 AM.
diverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #19
CuzzA

I've never met them, but their click bait titles to their youtube videos were a pretty good sign that they operate using deception.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
Your identification says you live in Juno Beach, so which is it?
Y are you stalking me
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #21
Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverik View Post
Team Shark Tales came to the Treasure Coast Shootout one year and lined up their fish so their top shooter forgot his name Aquatech, I think was his spearboard name shot the heaviest fish in each category then #2 shooter shot the second heaviest in every category #3 and so on. This is mathematically possible, barley.
They had 5 shooters.
They thought we were all idiots.
R
A Leopard never loses his spots, you can’t change the strips of a zebra.
SharkTales has put up some great spearfishing videos over the many years,
But it makes some wonder what happened to all the fish since he doesn’t eat them.
Time to call in Inspector Cluso.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:10 AM   #22
diverlen

I heard he donated all of them to a propeller shop in Jupiter, can't remember the name but do know it is in Jupiter
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #23
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

They have a valid snapper grouper lease. But if they sold direct to restaurants, that would likely not be legal. I'll wait to see how the lionfish case proceeds before passing judgement. They may have just been lazy and not committed any fraud.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #24
Diverboy067

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
They have a valid snapper grouper lease. But if they sold direct to restaurants, that would likely not be legal. I'll wait to see how the lionfish case proceeds before passing judgement. They may have just been lazy and not committed any fraud.
This has nothing to do with the selling of the lion fish and has everything to do with fraud. The state was paying them a "bounty" based on the number of lion fish and they fraudulently inflated the numbers to get a higher payout. So yes, it has everything to do with fraud.....just like if you or I only worked 20 hours, but claimed you worked 40 hours and your employer paid you for those 40 hours.
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #25
Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Don’t think he has one,he wouldn’t pay 40 k for one.
He might be piggy backing off of another Spearo.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #26
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

It's on the NMFS website. It's a lease from Texas. Probly about 7 grand a year. But then , you'd have an issue with having a lobster permit as the boat can only have a permit from one person at a time.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #27
DIVERTOM

Send a message via AIM to DIVERTOM Send a message via Yahoo to DIVERTOM

I have run into John a few times down in Jupiter. He always seemed like a good guy. Sorry to hear about this.
DIVERTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #28
Scubadood

Interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAE5B9BF-0DAA-4E9D-962E-807E48FF23E7.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	245031   Click image for larger version

Name:	1035C080-6049-415F-ACEE-CE13845B68A2.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	245032  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #29
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

The outcome of this case is very interesting. I heard the attorney also represented Randy Jordan in his shark feeding in state waters case which had a light penalty. Attorney Wasserman must be a good plea bargain and penalty phase negotiator. Here's some of the details in the Palm Beach Post story:

Lake Park couple avoids jail in lionfish bounty scam

PALM BEACH POST 2-24-20

John Clay Dickinson and Rachel Janea McGinnis were booked Oct. 30, 2019, at the Palm Beach County Jail.

Authorities allege a Tequesta business owner and his girlfriend faked invoices and photos to collect bounties for the invasive species.

WEST PALM BEACH — The owner of a Tequesta scuba diving company and his girlfriend will avoid jail time as part of a deal approved Monday in Palm Beach County Circuit Court on charges they used faked invoices to collect more than $10,000 in state bounties on lionfish.

But they will have to refund Florida’s taxpayers the amount they are charged with stealing.

John Clay Dickinson, now 62, and Rachel Janea McGinnis, now 42, both of Lake Park, each had been charged in October 2019 with conducting an organized scheme to defraud, uttering a forgery, committing forgery and grand theft.

On Monday, court records show, each agreed to participate in pretrial diversion. In that program, if defendants meet certain conditions for one year, charges are dropped.

In the deal, Dickinson and McGinnis must repay the $10,846, according to court documents.

Dickinson’s lawyer, Jonathan Wasserman, declined to comment on the case Monday. Jason Weiss, the attorney for McGinnis, did not return a call.

A Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission report alleged Dickinson, aboard his boat Shark Tales, based at the Jupiter Pointe Marina in Tequesta, faked invoices and doctored photos to inflate — or in some cases create from nothing — large catches of the invasive species to collect money from FWC’s harvesting program.

The state pays dive operators $50 when a client catches at least eight lionfish during a trip.

On at least 40 of 58 dates Dickinson reported he was at sea, the FWC report alleged, his boat sat in a warehouse.

Last edited by SpearMax; 02-26-2020 at 10:18 AM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #30
Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
The outcome of this case is very interesting. I heard the attorney also represented Randy Jordan in his shark feeding in state waters case which had a light penalty. Attorney Wasserman must be a good plea bargain and penalty phase negotiator. Here's some of the details in the Palm Beach Post story:

Lake Park couple avoids jail in lionfish bounty scam

PALM BEACH POST 2-24-20

John Clay Dickinson and Rachel Janea McGinnis were booked Oct. 30, 2019, at the Palm Beach County Jail.

Authorities allege a Tequesta business owner and his girlfriend faked invoices and photos to collect bounties for the invasive species.

WEST PALM BEACH — The owner of a Tequesta scuba diving company and his girlfriend will avoid jail time as part of a deal approved Monday in Palm Beach County Circuit Court on charges they used faked invoices to collect more than $10,000 in state bounties on lionfish.

But they will have to refund Florida’s taxpayers the amount they are charged with stealing.

John Clay Dickinson, now 62, and Rachel Janea McGinnis, now 42, both of Lake Park, each had been charged in October 2019 with conducting an organized scheme to defraud, uttering a forgery, committing forgery and grand theft.

On Monday, court records show, each agreed to participate in pretrial diversion. In that program, if defendants meet certain conditions for one year, charges are dropped.

In the deal, Dickinson and McGinnis must repay the $10,846, according to court documents.

Dickinson’s lawyer, Jonathan Wasserman, declined to comment on the case Monday. Jason Weiss, the attorney for McGinnis, did not return a call.

A Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission report alleged Dickinson, aboard his boat Shark Tales, based at the Jupiter Pointe Marina in Tequesta, faked invoices and doctored photos to inflate — or in some cases create from nothing — large catches of the invasive species to collect money from FWC’s harvesting program.

The state pays dive operators $50 when a client catches at least eight lionfish during a trip.

On at least 40 of 58 dates Dickinson reported he was at sea, the FWC report alleged, his boat sat in a warehouse.
Birds of a feather flock together,they are both wolfs in sheep’s clothing.
You would think ,coming from the Airforce you would know better,
The embarrassment alone will keep these two in hiding.