Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #1
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Very sad news; Tailsurfer, AKA Josh Bouna is presumed lost to the sea.

Josh went for a lobster dive last night, 8pm-ish. He and his dive partner got hit by a very large wave, and his partner surfaced and made it to shore, but Josh is missing, and has not been found. Was at Crystal Cove, the El Morro entrance, in Corona Del Mar. He has not been found as of yet, and his family is asking for help. Coast Guard and lifeguards have been on it since last night.

I'm very saddened by this turn of events; Josh was a troubled soul, but at the same time, such a wonderful person. And a good diver, and a safe diver.
Godspeed buddy. I wish you had made it back..... in more ways than one.

Peace.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:38 AM   #2
Markio
Shoot to eat

Re: Very sad news; Tailsurfer, AKA Josh Bouna is presumed lost to the sea.

That is horrible.

I never met Josh but a bunch of us know Daniel who used to dive with him a lot.

Lets pray.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
landfish

He had a big heart. Saddened for him and his family. He loved shore diving for halibuts and lobsters.

Were there any divers on the search? Common for waves to suck someone into a reef crevice and be stuck there.
landfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
North Star
Max

Sorry to hear this sad news. May his family and friends find peace.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #5
campione

This is very sad indeed. Especially because he was not a newbie diver.
The lesson here: never underestimate the ocean. Big surf can be lethal. Always evaluate the conditions before going in, and if need be, abort the dive.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
asianspearo
Heiho

Oh, no. Not another one!
I hope they find him. My heart's out to his family.

Di Au
asianspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 AM   #7
spearthebigones
Daniel

Update for missing diver Josh Bouma: Still missing

Day 1: I spoke to Josh's father and no one has seen Josh since the night of 02/13/2021 when he entered the water at the southern most section of Crystal Cove where El Morro cliff wall begins.

Day 2: The coast guard called off the search on 2/14/2021 after looking for 18 hours and covering 138 square nautical miles.

Day 3: The family searched by boat offshore and inshore for any signs of Josh or gear above water. In the late afternoon they took out 4 divers (rescue divers and master level scuba divers) to search the point at El Morro. They did not find anything.

Day 4: Tomorrow morning on 02/16/2021 the family will bring out the divers again to search more of the point at El Morro.

---------------------------------------------------
What you can do to help out?

~~Find Gear~~
Josh was wearing a 5mm camo Mako wetsuit seen in the attached photo, carried one hand held dive light, one head light attached to his mask and snorkel, a lobster bag (either blue or yellow), dive belt with a variety of sized weights, and Mako fins.
If anyone finds gear in the water, please report it and the exact location in the water or shore where it was found. Share the information on this thread and ask someone relay it to the OC Spearos. I will be in touch with the OC Spearos Facebook group for any updates and relay the information to the family in the hopes it helps with the search.

~~Find Josh~~
Any help in searching underwater is greatly appreciated by the family. The family wishes everyone be safe, so check the forecasts and be willing to call off the dive if it looks to rough. No one should be putting themselves in danger. But if you can get out in a safe area, please spend some time looking.

~~Where to Look~~
Crystal Cove where El Morro cliff wall is the beginning point, where it happened. But there was a strong north to south current on Saturday which means the adjacent coves and the surrounding area could be possible locations to search. Gear could also float north or south due to wind. So even if you find something a mile away it could be helpful.

~~Respect the Family's feelings~~
The family is heart broken and still grieving. They would like to see the focus be on finding Josh and would appreciate any help they can get.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:42 AM   #8
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

As of this evening, he has not been found. The CG put in an 18 hour search, to no avail.
There was a heavy ripping current going north to south, so he could have been easily pushed out to sea. He was entering at the southern end of Crystal Cove state beach, at the El Morro cliff face.
I'm just so very sad over this; Josh had overcome some incredible inner struggles, and I am very proud of him for turning his life around; thankful he did this for himself, and his family. He was a good guy, and a good, solid diver. I'm just very sad over his one.

There were private search boats and divers out today, maybe some more tomorrow. Hoping they find him, for his family. Godspeed Josh.......
Old 02-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Unhappy Re: Very sad news; Tailsurfer, AKA Josh Bouna is presumed lost to the sea.

Wow! Thanks for the phone call Paul.
Josh looks great in the photo Daniel posted!
May Josh rest in eternal peace. 😇
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post

Update for missing diver Josh Bouma: Still missing

Day 1: I spoke to Josh's father and no one has seen Josh since the night of 02/13/2021 when he entered the water at the southern most section of Crystal Cove where El Morro cliff wall begins.

Day 2: The coast guard called off the search on 2/14/2021 after looking for 18 hours and covering 138 square nautical miles.

Day 3: The family searched by boat offshore and inshore for any signs of Josh or gear above water. In the late afternoon they took out 4 divers (rescue divers and master level scuba divers) to search the point at El Morro. They did not find anything.

Day 4: Tomorrow morning on 02/16/2021 the family will bring out the divers again to search more of the point at El Morro.

---------------------------------------------------
What you can do to help out?

~~Find Gear~~
Josh was wearing a 5mm camo Mako wetsuit seen in the attached photo, carried one hand held dive light, one head light attached to his mask and snorkel, a lobster bag (either blue or yellow), dive belt with a variety of sized weights, and Mako fins.
If anyone finds gear in the water, please report it and the exact location in the water or shore where it was found. Share the information on this thread and ask someone relay it to the OC Spearos. I will be in touch with the OC Spearos Facebook group for any updates and relay the information to the family in the hopes it helps with the search.

~~Find Josh~~
Any help in searching underwater is greatly appreciated by the family. The family wishes everyone be safe, so check the forecasts and be willing to call off the dive if it looks to rough. No one should be putting themselves in danger. But if you can get out in a safe area, please spend some time looking.

~~Where to Look~~
Crystal Cove where El Morro cliff wall is the beginning point, where it happened. But there was a strong north to south current on Saturday which means the adjacent coves and the surrounding area could be possible locations to search. Gear could also float north or south due to wind. So even if you find something a mile away it could be helpful.

~~Respect the Family's feelings~~
The family is heart broken and still grieving. They would like to see the focus be on finding Josh and would appreciate any help they can get.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
NaClAddict

My prayers to the family. So sad, never met him but always appreciated his posts.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:18 AM   #11
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

UPDATE: I was on the phone with Josh's father late this afternoon, and he informed me that surfers had recovered a diver twenty miles south, in San Onofre at a spot called Church's. It was confirmed that it was, indeed our friend Josh.

I'm very sorry. I'm sorry we will not get to see the wonder you were prepared to bring to us, as a friend and a diver. I'm very proud of you overcoming the things that were holding you back. I will carry great pride for you, and your family for your strength and unbelievable courage, when facing such a huge obstacle. May all who knew you hold this spirit in their hearts when we have to face our own demons, and remember that Tailsurfer went in there alone, and came out standing tall. I salute your strength and courage, and I am proud for your family........ and truly heartbroken.

You were one of a kind Josh, and I will miss you terribly. I will dive with you, every time I touch water. Peace.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:55 AM   #12
bluesquids
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
UPDATE: I was on the phone with Josh's father late this afternoon, and he informed me that surfers had recovered a diver twenty miles south, in San Onofre at a spot called Church's. It was confirmed that it was, indeed our friend Josh.

I'm very sorry. I'm sorry we will not get to see the wonder you were prepared to bring to us, as a friend and a diver. I'm very proud of you overcoming the things that were holding you back. I will carry great pride for you, and your family for your strength and unbelievable courage, when facing such a huge obstacle. May all who knew you hold this spirit in their hearts when we have to face our own demons, and remember that Tailsurfer went in there alone, and came out standing tall. I salute your strength and courage, and I am proud for your family........ and truly heartbroken.

You were one of a kind Josh, and I will miss you terribly. I will dive with you, every time I touch water. Peace.
Rojodiablo, it is very heartfelt how you’ve said multiple times that you were proud of Josh.
Many people go their whole life looking for this kind of approval and acceptance. I’m sure he’s looking down with a smile on his face. Godspeed Tailsurfer. Condolences to his family.
============
Where is my mind?
Waay out in the water, see it swimmin'.
- The Pixies
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
Q
Simi Valley Spearo

RIP Josh..
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
Marco

Sad news. RIP

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #15
campione

San Onofre! 20 miles south in just 3 days, a ripping current...Shows you how difficult ocean search and recovery can be.
RIP Josh. God bless.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote