Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
SDDiver5

Baja or Sea of Cortez next month?

Ive been playing with the idea of hitting Sea of Cortez or Baja next month for a little trip. Friday-Monday most likely.

A. Any of you are welcome to join. I want to do it expedition style. Load up my truck with surf boards (if we hit pacific side) kayaks, dive gear, camping gear, etc. go down for a few days, hit the delicious taco stands surf and dive my face off and have some fresh fish at night.

B. How are the dive conditions on the pacific side this time of year? I imagine it will be hot? Dive spots/conditions on the Cortez side?

I have been to Baja once in HS and have been wanting to go back for a very long time so ANY advice, dive spots, surf spots, taco stands will be GREATLY appreciated. Ive heard about mexican fishing licenses, mexican insurance, etc.

I have been doing some research on here and on expedition portal and have some ideas but want to get it first hand from some fellow spearos.

Thanks in advance!

D
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Bear Down
FÖKAI Fo Lyfe

Re: Baja or Sea of Cortez next month?

I'm thinking of hitting northern Cortez in Oct if my wife will allow it. It won't be as hot. If you decide to get down to the Mulege area let me know. I know a guy that will take you out.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
PACIFICPUNISHER
Registered Abuser

1. Your gonna need more time
2. Hit up sea of cortez
3. Leave surf boards at home. Not much surf in sea of cortez
4. Its gonna be very hot.

Road conditions are fine I just got back from bola had a blast. Good luck hit me up if you need more info
PACIFICPUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
SDDiver5

More time is no problem. I have lots of vaca time saved up from the last couple years. The only problem is all my friends are losers who are still waiters and doing nothing with their lives so I want some fellow spearos to go with.

Would anyone recommend Bay of LA? Hows the diving there? Ive heard many good things.

D
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
$eabass
La Jolla: waves & game

I don't think you need a license if you dive from shore, I've been wanting to head baCk down soon too, keep me posted.
$eabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Seeco

Licence needed
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Big_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Down View Post
I'm thinking of hitting northern Cortez in Oct if my wife will allow it. It won't be as hot. If you decide to get down to the Mulege area let me know. I know a guy that will take you out.
I love mulege! I met my wife there. How is the diving down there? Any yellows or other pelagics?my wife's dad owes us a flight in his little plane to that little landing strip.
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
PACIFICPUNISHER
Registered Abuser

I've never had a bad experience in BOLA. Most diving will require a boat though. Pelagic fish from August to mid October.
PACIFICPUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

I speak fluent spanish and i am making that trip with my extended cab truck and my boat before Lob season. With some guys from Spearboard. Pm me if interested. Doing the Sea of Cortez though.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Bear Down
FÖKAI Fo Lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berg View Post
I love mulege! I met my wife there. How is the diving down there? Any yellows or other pelagics?my wife's dad owes us a flight in his little plane to that little landing strip.
There are yellows there. Dorados came in about 2 months ago. Diving is good there. Pargo, cabrilla and triggers for days.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
jujitsu4me

let me know I have some free time end of Aug- sep 10th
jujitsu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #12
yoursisters_bf
yoursistersboyfriend

Like your style amigo.
The important stuff you'll need... Mex auto insurance, Mex fishing license, a Tourist Visa(if your headed to Baja Sur), a decent map and your passport. Your gonna need at least two days to get to Mulege(if you dont stop to surf) and two days to get home.
There are gas stations and taco stands all over the place, so no worries there. There is one long stretch without gas stations so I always bring my own cans in case the locals are out.
Keep doing the research...Bajanomad and Talkbaja are good websites to creep on for info as well.
Being that this is my first post, I dont want to overstep my grounds and say too much about the spearing and surfing. Im actually headed down for the month of September to do the same.
I live in Encinitas, PM me and we can chat or grab a brew.
Buenas Suerte
yoursisters_bf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #13
getthatbutt

Gimme a date, Sddiver, and you know I am in. Send me a text brah!
getthatbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
SDDiver5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursisters_bf View Post
Like your style amigo.
The important stuff you'll need... Mex auto insurance, Mex fishing license, a Tourist Visa(if your headed to Baja Sur), a decent map and your passport. Your gonna need at least two days to get to Mulege(if you dont stop to surf) and two days to get home.
There are gas stations and taco stands all over the place, so no worries there. There is one long stretch without gas stations so I always bring my own cans in case the locals are out.
Keep doing the research...Bajanomad and Talkbaja are good websites to creep on for info as well.
Being that this is my first post, I dont want to overstep my grounds and say too much about the spearing and surfing. Im actually headed down for the month of September to do the same.
I live in Encinitas, PM me and we can chat or grab a brew.
Buenas Suerte
For sure man I appreciate it! Im currently living in PB but am in Enc weekly. We will figure something out. I want to stop by a AAA and get a map of baja and then go from there.

Thanks everyone for the replies and PM's. Keep them coming! Ive got a few buddies that are interested. I would be stoked if we could get a SB Spearo excursion with a few rigs headed down.

D
Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
Scubaduba

Just got back from just south of Ensenada. Nailed a couple of Sheaphead. Pacific is like a lake. Forget your Surf Boards. Try going the extra mile to Mulage.
Oh and don't cross the San Isidro Border on a Sunday afternoon. six hours-three miles deep-six lanes wide. Try during the week either real early or real late.
Scubaduba is offline   Reply With Quote