Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
popgun pete

Small rollerguns for close-up work

At times I have been asked about small rollerguns that could do the work of a pneumatic gun in the shorter sizes, but while in the distant past there were rollerguns around the 60 cm mark there do not appear to be any today. However others may be aware of such guns as the world is a very big place and one cannot judge by what is available in their own area, so if someone has any info maybe they could share it. Certainly guys have made short rollerguns as a one-off, but production guns seem to have concentrated on 80 cm and upwards from there. A long time ago there were short guns like this lever operated “Hurricane”, but that was also the period when band rubber was poor compared to what we have today.

popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
mclane234

Re: Small rollerguns for close-up work

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
At times I have been asked about small rollerguns that could do the work of a pneumatic gun in the shorter sizes, but while in the distant past there were rollerguns around the 60 cm mark there do not appear to be any today. However others may be aware of such guns as the world is a very big place and one cannot judge by what is available in their own area, so if someone has any info maybe they could share it. Certainly guys have made short rollerguns as a one-off, but production guns seem to have concentrated on 80 cm and upwards from there. A long time ago there were short guns like this lever operated “Hurricane”, but that was also the period when band rubber was poor compared to what we have today.
Whats the point?

Pneumatic guns for hunting inside caves and such have one big disadvantage, thats when you are shooting up close and there is a rock behind the fish there is a danger of you damaging the speargun. With a classic speargun you can only damage the shaft. Rollerguns simply have no advantage over classic guns here.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclane234 View Post
Whats the point?

Pneumatic guns for hunting inside caves and such have one big disadvantage, thats when you are shooting up close and there is a rock behind the fish there is a danger of you damaging the speargun. With a classic speargun you can only damage the shaft. Rollerguns simply have no advantage over classic guns here.
Others have asked as they don't want to use a pneumatic, otherwise I would not have posted this. Personally I use a pneumatic for such work, but then I am not the target user and neither are you. Poor water conditions can mean close-up shooting, not just under rock overhangs and in caves.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
mclane234

Quote:
Others have asked as they don't want to use a pneumatic, otherwise I would not have posted this. Personally I use a pneumatic for such work, but then I am not the target user and neither are you. Poor water conditions can mean close-up shooting, not just under rock overhangs and in caves.
Ok, so whats the advantage of rollerguns in close-up shooting?
Old 10-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclane234 View Post
Ok, so whats the advantage of rollerguns in close-up shooting?
A very short band gun has rubber bands that are too short to be useful, whereas the wrap around nature of rollergun bands make them longer and you can use top and bottom of the barrel for stretch, or pre-stretch, however you want the gun to be set up. Historically one of the first rollerguns was for shooting large catfish in murky lakes.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
... However others may be aware of such guns as the world is a very big place ...
This year at the 2019 Blue Wild Show, Koah Spearguns introduced the 28 inch and 30 inch 'small roller' guns. These guns are production models built on the same CNC machines as the regular series rollers. We had many discussions with several of the Fl Key's divers to produce a type of gun that could get into the shallow depth, tight holes where groupers will rock up by using just the single band on the muzzle so you don't destroy the tip. But also at the same time, give an incredible amount power in the small package for an open water shot should a big grouper take off running in the sand as you approach diving down, by using both the single band AND the roller band. By choosing the different power modes, you can adjust the load so you don't destroy your equipment and shafts. The Koah rollers pack alot of punch with very low recoil and easy to swing. The guns can be made available from dealers or via an email to the factory. Both of these guns in the picture sold on the very 1st day of the show and were gone. {sorry for the pict, I cropped it down from a larger photo and put in the red arrows to ID the guns}

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BW20198KSGsm_rollers.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	244239  
Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
This year at the 2019 Blue Wild Show, Koah Spearguns introduced the 28 inch and 30 inch 'small roller' guns. These guns are production models built on the same CNC machines as the regular series rollers. We had many discussions with several of the Fl Key's divers to produce a type of gun that could get into the shallow depth, tight holes where groupers will rock up by using just the single band on the muzzle so you don't destroy the tip. But also at the same time, give an incredible amount power in the small package for an open water shot should a big grouper take off running in the sand as you approach diving down, by using both the single band AND the roller band. By choosing the different power modes, you can adjust the load so you don't destroy your equipment and shafts. The Koah rollers pack alot of punch with very low recoil and easy to swing. The guns can be made available from dealers or via an email to the factory. Both of these guns in the picture sold on the very 1st day of the show and were gone. {sorry for the pict, I cropped it down from a larger photo and put in the red arrows to ID the guns}

Thanks for the info which I will pass on. The request came from a U.K. spearo where water clarity is not the best, so long range shooting is generally out for where he dives. I have hunted in gritty and chopped weed particle soup myself (after a big storm), so have had to use a short gun when I can see not much further than my outstretched arm, but have managed to bag a few fish none the less while my long guns are left on the beach (with someone watching over them of course).

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-13-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
popgun pete

Here is another dirty water rollergun, the "Red Claw" from Scorpio Spearguns.

http://scorpiospearguns.com/red-claw/
Old 10-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
Mana'squal

Quote:
Here is another dirty water rollergun, the "Red Claw" from Scorpio Spearguns.

http://scorpiospearguns.com/red-claw/
Small midhandles do the job without any need for roller parts. 1-3 bands depending on the target fish. I do most of my hunting in 0-4' vis and take fish over 30#s with a 28" gun with 3 bands. No need for rollers, recoil is easily controlled anyway. Keep it simple, less to worry about.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
lidiver

Both Picasso and Salvimar are selling roller guns in 75 and 60 cm (and obviously longer, but you're asking for short guns). MVD is going as low as 55cm roller guns.

Sigalsub is selling some very nice roller muzzles that can fit their traditional guns so you can retrofit easily short guns to become rollers (the Sigalsub handle has the notch for the roller bands even when shipped with traditional guns)

Stefan
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Seansheds
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidiver View Post
Both Picasso and Salvimar are selling roller guns in 75 and 60 cm (and obviously longer, but you're asking for short guns). MVD is going as low as 55cm roller guns.

Sigalsub is selling some very nice roller muzzles that can fit their traditional guns so you can retrofit easily short guns to become rollers (the Sigalsub handle has the notch for the roller bands even when shipped with traditional guns)

Stefan
I was going to say something similar being take a Manny roller head and put it on a Pathos 60.

Get all your spearfishing gear at Spear America!
Seansheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Small midhandles do the job without any need for roller parts. 1-3 bands depending on the target fish. I do most of my hunting in 0-4' vis and take fish over 30#s with a 28" gun with 3 bands. No need for rollers, recoil is easily controlled anyway. Keep it simple, less to worry about.
They can, but some people don't like mid-handle guns. I am prepared to use anything, and have done so, however there are plenty of niches in the market and certainly there have been many small rollerguns in the distant past, albeit some of flimsy construction that were a product of miserable performance bands.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidiver View Post

Stefan
Well here is that 55 cm rollergun that you mentioned. 105 bucks plus shipping (body only).
https://www.mvd-retail.gr/product-page/zeso-55-roller
1. Specially designed for hard-to-reach locations providing power in minimal space.
2. Ideal for small and big prey in murky waters, rivers or lakes.
3. Easy to transport with excellent and very efficient shot relative to its size.
4. MVD exclusively provides the optimal Ready to use setup that guarantees the equal performance of a moderately sized speargun.

Due to the small size of the barrel and the preinstalled high-quality inox equipment, this type of speargun has slight negative buoyancy.

Body Only setup includes: body, free camera mounting kit
Ready to use setup includes: body, reel Vertical Soft Touch Arrow Extra Small black, Line, Inox Shaft 6.5mm 90 SharkFin 1-FlopUp, 2x 40cm - 14mm rubber bands, free camera mounting kit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVD 55 cm rollergun.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	244326   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVD 55 cm rollergun overall.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	244327  

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-26-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 10-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
popgun pete

This gunbody is also available as an inverted roller, price is 98.80 euro or 110 bucks plus shipping (body only).
https://www.mvd-retail.gr/product-pa...-invert-roller
This version has a six band battery, i.e. three bands on each side, which is equivalent to a one and a half band rollergun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVD 55 cm inverted rollergun.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	244328  

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.