Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
OceanRider

QUESTION. Can I spear in Japan?

Hi guys,

This is a shout out for some help. I am in the Navy and was recently stationed in Yokosuka-shi, Japan and have been trying, without any luck, to find out if I can spear out here. If there are any size or bag limits and if so what are then and where can I can find the regs. Also what good fish are out there not, familiar with the types of fish out here. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
OceanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Re: QUESTION. Can I spear in Japan?

Learn to use the search function. I did a simple search on "Japan" and found these threads:

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=158095

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=156761

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=36476

Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication. Leonardo Da Vinci

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
OceanRider

Yes, I did do that, thank you for you advice. But like I said I'm in the US Navy and I must follow local laws and regs. So those threads did not provide the information I need. Because of the actions of some of my fellow sailors breaking local laws, any sailors found not following local laws and regs are seriously punished first by the local authorities and then by their chains of command. So I was just looking for some help by all my fellow spearos to stay out any legal troubles. But like I said thanks for your advice, even if it wasn't at all helpful thank you.
OceanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

It is unfortunate that none of those links had any useful information for you. My sincere apologies for wasting your time with my unhelpful advice.

Since this thread is going to come up whenever people search for "Japan", maybe you could post what you find when you talk to the local law enforcement on here so there will be something useful for others in the future?

Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication. Leonardo Da Vinci

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
PoleSpearGaijin

Speaking to some Japanese spearos, it seems that you are likely to be reported by locals (the fishermen particularly) and find police waiting for you on the beach. The exceptions are Tokyo-to and Niigata-ken ONLY for spears without triggers.
I can't provide links to documents backing this up and I've no idea where you'd go to be sure of this.

Apparently the wording of the law is funny and you can use a pole spear wherever you like as long as you don't use goggles or a mask!

PM me if you are (will be) in Japan and might be spearing.
PoleSpearGaijin is offline   Reply With Quote