Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr
Intro, SD spearo buddies?, visitor 5/1-7 from PacNW

Hi San Diego spearos,

I'm visiting SD (from Oregon)My son now lives in San Diego (just inland from LJ), with my adorable new grandson, so will be visiting SD at least 3-4 times/year. I've been bubble-blowing for decades, but recently got hooked on freediving-spearo. It's a bit addictive ;-). Have taken FII Level 1 classroom/pool course for safety. Can't wait to dive in better viz waters where I don't have to use the patented PacNW forehead-mounted bottom-detector ;-) The last time I spearo'ed the Oregon coast, was creeping along some jetty boulders in 2ft viz when a big Ling tail almost slapped me in the face as he flicked away into the murk, <sigh>.

#### Edit Sunday May 4: Unfortunately, my sinus infection has come back with a vengeance, so heading back to Oregon to see my ENT doc on Monday. Never did make it out to your famous kelp beds <sigh>.

Many thanks to local spearos for such great hospitality, esp Anthony, Pierre and Jack. I'll be back from Oregon several times a year to visit my grandson, and dive with new SD spearo friends.

Good hunting!
Leigh

Email is mr dot leigh dot anderson atsign gmail ph five oh 3, for ate for, 7 oh fiver 6

Cheers,
Leigh

Last edited by quattroluvr; 05-04-2014 at 11:13 AM.
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
quattroluvr
Leigh

Re: Intro, SD spearo buddies?, visitor 5/1-7 from PacNW

OP: Great! got a spearo buddy invite via PM for at least some mid-week mornings.
I'd welcome other opps too. Can't get enough of better viz.
Leigh

Last edited by quattroluvr; 04-16-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
quattroluvr
Leigh

A 2nd spearo has got in touch, grateful for that. I'll reach out again closer to May 1st for my May thru 7 stay, for other days/dives . Leigh

Last edited by quattroluvr; 04-19-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

probably better to try to schedule something in about a week when people know what they are doing, easier to plan for them.
Otherwise there is some pretty legit shorediving in SD.
Maybe hit up the north county water dog guys to arrange a dive?
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
pierreyaldo

Gonna be diving with Leigh in a few weeks, should be a blast! Hopefully we smack a fish or two

Last edited by pierreyaldo; 04-18-2014 at 07:15 PM.
pierreyaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
quattroluvr
Leigh

OP: Well I arrived in San Diego with the tail end of a sinus infection, but now I'm sure I'm going to start diving tomorrow 5/3 Sat with my newbie son. The only firm buddy arrangement i have is for Tues AM. Open for Sunday Monday and Wed. Please contact me if interested. five oh 3 for ate for, 7 oh fiver 6, or mr dot leigh dot anderson atsign gmail

Last edited by quattroluvr; 05-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Text sent. Anyone wanna go now, I'm in La Jolla right now, 20 ft vis here, no waves. Pierre, haven't dove with you in a while.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Nice diving with you, good luck with your son at the kelp today.

Good guy, dive with 'em fellas.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
quattroluvr
Leigh

OP: Went out with my son for his first time free diving,
and local spearo Jack Saturday. (an impressive young man, mature beyond his high school years.). Not many fish shorediving out front of CP but Jack got a nice fish, a kelp bass or something.

Edit Sunday May 4: Unfortunately, my sinus infection has come back with vengeances, so heading back to Oregon to see my ENT doc on Monday. Never did make it out to your famous kelp beds <sigh>.

Many thanks to local spearos for such great hospitality, esp Anthony, Pierre and Jack. I'll be back from Oregon several times a year to visit my grandson, and dive with new spearo friends.

Good hunting!
Leigh

Last edited by quattroluvr; 05-04-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroluvr View Post
OP: Went out with my son for his first time free diving, and local spearo Jack Saturday. (an impressive young man, mature beyond his high school years.).

Many thanks to local spearos for such great hospitality, esp Anthony, Pierre and Jack. I'll be back from Oregon several times a year to visit my grandson, and dive with new spearo friends.

Good hunting!
Leigh
Jack Greener, I thought it was him! We dove with the Greener boys in Catalina. Not only an impressive young man, but an impressive man period. Mature for any age really. There's so many older men, most I'd say, who seem to have somehow put a lot of years into life without gaining much experience/wisdom. Such men used to be the exception but sadly these days seem to be the norm.

And the younger they are the tougher it is to find someone worth hanging with, that's why I have a lot of friends that are significantly older than me, seniors some. Jack is the kind of guy that's not only rare now but was rare back when men were men of quality, likely rare before my time.

Spearos seem to share certain qualities, they have character as men, I don't know if it's something we gain from the sport or something we had before that draws us to the sport or allows us to stick with it (I think the latter) but even among such men of quality, Greener stands out.

It was nice diving with you, Leigh and I'm proud of our San Diego hospitality and that we were able to accommodate you and make a new friend.

Here's the kayak rental deal I offered you: http://deals.utsandiego.com/deals/20...l-instruction/

If you still need it let me know your email and I'll send it to you so you can print it out and go get the kayak. Or if they let you just use the voucher code I can PM you the code. I don't know if they'll allow you to load up the Kayak and take it to La Jolla or what the vis is like near mission bay but it never hurts to ask and what they don't know...
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
quattroluvr
Leigh

Anthony - You may have seen my other post that my sinus infection came back with a vengeance so heading back to Portland soon. Thanks for the hospitality!
Leigh