Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Butchbal

Red tide diving 8-22-21

We went diving Sunday in 50 and 60 foot depths WNW out of Homosassa. We encountered a 20 to 30 foot layer of red tide stained water at or near the top of the water column on every dive. The water was the color of weak coffee. As we descended we found the the visibility improved near the bottom but the top layer blocked so much light that it made it difficult see well enough to spearfish. There was no smell or dead fish at any of our dive sites. There was an abundance of fish of all kinds, especially large mangroves. We managed a few hog fish and all the mangos we wanted but the gags were very skittish and difficult to stalk in the dark conditions and we only managed 1 gag. As we headed back in we noticed that the water returned to it's normal color at about 45'.

The last time I saw this was right before the red tide fish kill about 8 years ago that devastated this same area. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Butchbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
grey2112

Re: Red tide diving 8-22-21

So, not much different than when we dove, eh Butch?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Wow, and you had no breathing issues? That sounds like a lot of red tide to turn the water that color, surprised you were OK diving in it. I've never tried....

I mean, not that you breathe the air while you're diving, but seems like those topside would be affected.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
zackistre

Lots of the stained water on top is rain water from the rivers dumping out all the fresh water. It settles on top. Did you see any fresh dead fish or dying fish twitching etc
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote