Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Sharkbanz

I know a lot of you Florida divers have had shark encounters. I was wondering if you knew of anyone that ever use the magnet technology in the sharkbanz. I recently had a friend get attacked by a great white (survived). After the attack a group of us started talking about a Sharkshield and someone brought up the Skarkbanz product. Thanks

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
rowow

Re: Sharkbanz

A kid just got attacked surfing with the magnetic shark shield. Its questionable how well magnetic devices deter sharks. Electronic shark shields are the only one I have seen to be proven, with countless testimonies and the fact that no one has been attacked wearing one (as far as I am aware).

Eventually the shark may learn to deal with the electricity and attack you, however as a spearfisher thats more then enough time. I am fine dealing with a shark I see and am prepared for. But when I am down in a hole and a great white comes charging in from behind, there isn't much I can do.

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/after...rk-repellents/

**EDIT** after some more reading it seems the kid got attacked on the arm. This may be due to improper use (only on the legs) and with proper use (on all arms and legs) it could've had a effect. So its debatable and more research is needed. If you want to be a test subject ill be glad to hear the results.
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by U/C Spearo View Post
I know a lot of you Florida divers have had shark encounters. I was wondering if you knew of anyone that ever use the magnet technology in the sharkbanz. I recently had a friend get attacked by a great white (survived). After the attack a group of us started talking about a Sharkshield and someone brought up the Skarkbanz product. Thanks
Pretty much all you need to know....

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Jankglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post

http://youtu.be/uY6U9j3ZVes
that magnet must have been tasty.
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Wow, that pretty much answers my question

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #6
rowow

Quote:

http://youtu.be/uY6U9j3ZVes
The video doesn't prove its ineffective. As I stated previously if I were to get a 30 seconds heads up when a shark will attack then thats more then enough for me. I have no problems dealing with a shark, but dealing with one thats charging at me in full speed from behind is. Even at 13 minutes the sharks only nudged the bait.

Again, more research is needed with live spearos. A kid falling off a surf board and landing right on top of a shark is quite different to what spearos deal with every day.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
The video doesn't prove its ineffective. As I stated previously if I were to get a 30 seconds heads up when a shark will attack then thats more then enough for me. I have no problems dealing with a shark, but dealing with one thats charging at me in full speed from behind is. Even at 13 minutes the sharks only nudged the bait.

Again, more research is needed with live spearos. A kid falling off a surf board and landing right on top of a shark is quite different to what spearos deal with every day.

Only nudged the bait? It was an awkward presentation. Of course it did. That's what sharks do.

A sucker and his money are separated everyday... The shark ate the bait and then bit the freaking magnet. If you believe a magnet is going to stop an adult bull, tiger, white, mako or other large shark then you don't understand sharks. Read the YouTube comments section for the manufacturer's response. If that doesn't convince you they are full of shit, nothing will. More testing? They are selling the product. A little late to still be testing.

If you want a device to help slow down a shark, buy a shark shield. They are tested and proven to work.

- Shark Shield Freedom 7 Owner
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
rowow

Quote:

Only nudged the bait? It was an awkward presentation. Of course it did. That's what sharks do.

A sucker and his money are separated everyday... The shark ate the bait and then bit the freaking magnet. If you believe a magnet is going to stop an adult bull, tiger, white, mako or other large shark then you don't understand sharks. Read the YouTube comments section for the manufacturer's response. If that doesn't convince you they are full of shit, nothing will. More testing? They are selling the product. A little late to still be testing.

If you want a device to help slow down a shark, buy a shark shield. They are tested and proven to work.

- Shark Shield Freedom 7 Owner
I fully agree that the shark shield works, but not everyone has $600 to spend on one. And my point with the sharkbanz is that it took the shark 13 minutes to bump the bait, and much longer to bite it. It could be due to it being in scavenger mode, but all I am saying is that there needs to be more research. I fully agree that it should've been done BEFORE entering the market. But thats a completly different statement to *its a bullshit product that doesn't work*.

As for your argument that "If you believe a magnet is going to stop an adult bull, tiger, white, mako or other large shark then you don't understand sharks." I can say the same exact thing to you with the shark shield.

Last edited by rowow; 12-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
rowow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5vYxx6prsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnA8BnMFlxo

Here is some videos from the creators of sharkbanz showing it in action. Could the shark eventually overcome the magnet and attack? Sure. But that will take a while. And as I stated previously, any sort of warning or heads up is more then enough for the product to work. By having the shark back off and reinvestigate by circling around, thats a warning. VS a shark attacking from behind.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5vYxx6prsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnA8BnMFlxo

Here is some videos from the creators of sharkbanz showing it in action. Could the shark eventually overcome the magnet and attack? Sure. But that will take a while. And as I stated previously, any sort of warning or heads up is more then enough for the product to work. By having the shark back off and reinvestigate by circling around, thats a warning. VS a shark attacking from behind.
Dude, the sharks were six inches from the band. Okay they didn't bite it, but so what. As a spearo your whole body is exposed and you have a stringer of fish they can visually clue in on and it's several feet away from the band. Also, the creators did the test. Show me some third party testing.

There's a reason Navy's buy the Shark Shield and not the SharkBanz. With a Shark Shield, sharks typically won't get closer than 15 feet. I'm not sure why you keep defending this product.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
rowow

Quote:
Dude, the sharks were six inches from the band. Okay they didn't bite it, but so what. As a spearo your whole body is exposed and you have a stringer of fish they can visually clue in on and it's several feet away from the band.

Now with a Shark Shield, sharks typically won't get closer than 15 feet. I'm not sure why you keep defending this product.
One of the videos showed a reaction a couple feet from the band. Yes its not as impressive as the shark shield, but its not a worthless scam as you make it out to be... Again, all I am asking is for more research and testing. YOU are the one making false claims and accusations on a product you know nothing about. If it actually works then it would be a great alternative to the $600, even if I need to attach one to each arm and leg on my body.

And agian, you fail to understand how shark attacks happen... I dont care how close a shark gets, if it backs off and goes for another attack, thats more then enough time for me to realize whats going on and defend myself. I keep on repeating this point yet you keep on intentionally ignoring it... I'm not sure why you keep on creating lies and ignoring basic facts.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
CuzzA

You should buy a few and test them out. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
rowow

Quote:
You should buy a few and test them out. Let us know how it goes.
Most spearos dont use any sort of shark protection... I haven't used any for years and haven't had any shark bite me. But yes when I get back to diving this winter ill buy a couple and see how they work out. Still haven't provided a proper argument other then rolling eyes.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
steve-oh
Treasure Coast Charters

Shark shield is actually tested and proven on almost all sharks
steve-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #15
LionfishStabber

I haven't really kept up with this, but I did know the guy who was originally testing this whole rare-earth magnet thing with sharks in the Bahamas back about ten years ago. It seemed to work pretty well, but it was very short-ranged. The tests I saw involved flipping a small shark over into tonic immobility and waving the magnet under its nose, which had about the same effect as dumping an ice bucket on a sleeping person's face - it snapped right out of tonic and thrashed out of the researcher's grip.

I don't know if the guy is still involved with Sharkbanz, but to me it seems more targeted at swimmers and surfers who have to contend with ankle-biters in murky water. The bulk of the shark bites in Florida are nips right off the beach from little blacktips and spinners that mistake a hand or a foot for a fish in the surf. I've also wondered personally if it would be a good idea to strap a couple to my ankles to shoo the stingrays off when I go wading in the grass flats. I think the other application they were looking at was to put them on hooks for tuna and swordfish longlines to cut down on the shark bycatch.

Aside from the range issue, it's also a magnet - which means getting it anywhere near your dive computer, a GoPro, or other electronics could be problematic.
LionfishStabber is offline   Reply With Quote