Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #166
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

What Harvester said, definitely.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 AM   #167
Fish Harvester

I like a but with I would change the lines to sort of match this.

https://www.hinckleyyachts.com/models/picnic-boats/
Fish Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #168
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
A - Like the look more. Is there any functional/utility difference between the two?
No difference in function. Just aesthetics.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #169
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Harvester View Post
I like a but with I would change the lines to sort of match this.

https://www.hinckleyyachts.com/models/picnic-boats/
Looks nice, but the pocket windows come with a whole set of extra fab. and engineering, potential water intrusion. Plus you would lose a lot of vis with the back window covered.

So, I think the consensus is A and I was leaning that way too. Thanks for the feedback, fellas.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #170
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Move the cabin back a foot or two. You will still have plenty of room to roll and fish and you will have that much more hull in front of you. Trust me it made a huge difference in my SeaCraft. Before - After
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	240713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1895.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	240714  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #171
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Move the cabin back a foot or two. You will still have plenty of room to roll and fish and you will have that much more hull in front of you. Trust me it made a huge difference in my SeaCraft. Before - After
Your SeaCraft sits very well in the water, Moose. I hope I have the same success.

The pilot house layout is already built, but even if I wanted to move it back it would then be over the fuel tank and God forbid if I ever have to pull it, I wouldn't want to have to hack up the pilot house too.

Here's a pretty accurate mock up of where everything sits in the hull. The image illustrates the transom box, sole, starboard tank bench/helm, the berth and anchor locker.

The helm chair is right at 12 feet. Almost dead center of the hull, minus the bracket. Pilot house height is 6 feet. Plenty good for me, maybe I can squeeze another inch or two, or get a good crown on the top, but it's already pretty tall as is. Pilot house is about 6 feet long. Berth when laying down on an angle following the bow is 7 feet.

The triangle window will be fixed or maybe I'll have it pop out on an angle. Not sure what you call that function. Though it could lead to water intrusion, so maybe not. The center square window will slide back over the rear window. It will be about 31" square. Of course the windshield will open forward. Nevertheless, I think the boat will feel pretty open with everything ajar, and I'll have good access to poke my head out the window and see what's happening in the water.

For what's it's worth my dance floor, minus the transom box is 7'x10'. Coming from a 20 foot WAC and 8'6" beam and transom mounted splash well outboard... I feel like I'll need a megaphone to talk to someone over the engines on the other side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIDE PROFILE.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	240717  

Last edited by CuzzA; 12-06-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #172
grey2112

Damn - looking good, James. Hope to be on her maiden voyage next year!

BTW - any plans for any sort of bow railing?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #173
CuzzA

Thanks Eric.

I am on the fence about a bow rail. I may add one because of the kids. I might just do a short six inch high rail for something to grab hold of as someone is falling off. With as little anchoring we do, I'm not sure it's necessary.

I mocked it up both ways and felt no rail looked better. But they are nice to have on a pitching boat. I imagine the wife will request it as in the past she liked to sun tan up there.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #174
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

"Pilot house height is 6 feet" So anyone over 6' will be uncomfortable standing?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #175
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Thanks Eric.

I am on the fence about a bow rail. I may add one because of the kids. I might just do a short six inch high rail for something to grab hold of as someone is falling off. With as little anchoring we do, I'm not sure it's necessary.

I mocked it up both ways and felt no rail looked better. But they are nice to have on a pitching boat. I imagine the wife will request it as in the past she liked to sun tan up there.
There are times I love mine and times I hate them. I would definitely make sure there are hand-holds/rails along the top of the roof on the outside edge - I think that is a very good idea. But if you have a windlass, or as you say we never anchor, then I don't see the need for them.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #176
jstbecauz

Send a message via AIM to jstbecauz

What would it look like with a longer roofline? I don't think that you will hate the extra shade, and depending on where you are putting your showerhead, it will give you more room.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #177
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
"Pilot house height is 6 feet" So anyone over 6' will be uncomfortable standing?
See there's benefits to being shorter. It will be around 6' at the windshield and probably a couple inches taller at the back of the pilot house due to the angle of the sole. Like I said, if I can get a decent crown, I may get close to 6'3" in the back running center. I don't think it will be much of an issue for most. Most time is spent on the deck and sitting down in the house. The passenger seating is in the back of the house.

One thing I didn't anticipate on this hull was how tall the stringers were. Plus I felt it was wise to raise the deck given the anticipated load. Self bailing was a big priority.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #178
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbecauz View Post
What would it look like with a longer roofline? I don't think that you will hate the extra shade, and depending on where you are putting your showerhead, it will give you more room.
I think I have a solid DIY solution for shade back there. I'm working out finding some parts, so when I have it functioning I'll share my idea.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #179
jstbecauz

Send a message via AIM to jstbecauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I think I have a solid DIY solution for shade back there. I'm working out finding some parts, so when I have it functioning I'll share my idea.
Sounds good, I extended mine a little bit so I could put my shower on the back starboard side undercover. Looks like it's coming along nicely.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #180
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbecauz View Post
Sounds good, I extended mine a little bit so I could put my shower on the back starboard side undercover. Looks like it's coming along nicely.
Thanks man. You get the kinks worked out on your boat with props, etc.? Top speed? I recall you were close to 70.

As of now, I'm going with the gallon jug fresh water rationing method. But I have some deck space to add a freshwater shower if I change my mind. Something I can always add.