Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #1
Billy Z
Live Action!

Hello everyone!

Hello, my name is Billy Z. I'm new to the sport of spear fishing, I am an avid Compound-bow hunter and fisherman. I would love to get into spear fishing but, I'm partially short of regulations and unwritten rules of the sea. I had planned on stopping at the local scuba shop to discuss the qualifications on free diving/scuba. I am focused and dedicated. Hoping someone can work with me!

Last edited by Billy Z; 03-01-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Billy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Re: Well. Hello!

Welcome.
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Billy Z
Live Action!

Could anyone recommend me a local spear shop in NJ?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

http://www.atlanticspearandscuba.com
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
brandon cadalzo

Welcome aboard! Atlantic Spear and Scuba has really good deals on such a broad range of equipment. There's something there for everyone as well as your budget. aside from the floor stock the staff is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming. You can just go in there without having to be worried about being pressured. A lot of people just go in there to hang out and talk shop so, it's a great place to meet people and get involved in the community. They also happen to sponsor and run a pretty cool annual spearfishing tournament. Good luck out there! Be safe! It is strongly recommended to take a freediving course and never be afraid to ask questions or seek advice. This site is filled with tons of very knowledgeable people
brandon cadalzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
Billy Z
Live Action!

Sounds great. Thanks for helping. I'll be stopping by Atlantic spear asap
Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
njdiver

Re: Hello everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Z View Post
Hello, my name is Billy Z. I'm new to the sport of spear fishing, I am an avid Compound-bow hunter and fisherman. I would love to get into spear fishing but, I'm partially short of regulations and unwritten rules of the sea. I had planned on stopping at the local scuba shop to discuss the qualifications on free diving/scuba. I am focused and dedicated. Hoping someone can work with me!
Make sure you follow the rules:

http://scubanj.org/NJdiverules.html

And register:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry/index.html

Here are some discussions on access and local ordinances:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...63#post1846863
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=162841
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...hlight=firearm

Also:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/saltwater.htm
http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/marinesurvey.htm
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/...earfishing.htm

NEW JERSEY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE

Copyright (c) 2015 by the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law

*** This file includes all Regulations adopted and published through the ***
*** New Jersey Register, Vol. 47, No. 1, January 5, 2015 ***

TITLE 7. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
CHAPTER 25. DIVISION OF FISH AND WILDLIFE RULES
SUBCHAPTER 18. MARINE FISHERIES

N.J.A.C. 7:25-18.4 (2015)

7:25-18.4 Spearfishing

It shall be lawful to take, catch, or kill all species of fish by means of spearfishing, during the respective open season, except for those species of fish specifically protected. For the purpose of this rule, spearfishing shall mean the taking of fish by means of a spear, harpoon, or other missile, or by hand, while completely submerged in the marine waters of the State.

HISTORY:

Amended by R.1985 d.609, effective January 7, 1985.
See: 16 New Jersey Register 2478(a), 17 New Jersey Register 79(a).
Amended by R.1995 d.82, effective February 6, 1995.
See: 26 New Jersey Register 4277(b), 27 New Jersey Register 487(a).

(UPDATED THROUGH P.L. 2014, ch.90 and JR6 of 2014)

TITLE 23 - FISH AND GAME, WILD BIRDS AND ANIMALS

Section 23:2B

23:2B-3 – Definitions

As used in this act:

(Snip)

e. "Fish" means any marine or anadromous animal or plant, or part thereof, excepting mammals and birds;

(Snip)

g. "Marine waters" means all the salt waters of this State, and none of the fresh waters of this State as defined in R.S. 23:1-2. Specifically it includes the waters of the Atlantic ocean, and all bays, inlets and estuarine waters located below the mouth of any fresh water river, stream or creek;

(Snip)

New Jersey Statutes Annotated Title 23. Fish and Game, Wild Birds and Animals.

Chapter 7A. Preventing Lawful Taking of Wildlife.

Citation: N. J. S. A. 23:7A-1 to 23:7A-3

Summary: This set of New Jersey laws comprises the state's hunter harassment provisions. No person may, for the purpose of hindering or preventing the lawful taking of wildlife. A person who violates this act shall be liable to a civil penalty of not less than $100 nor more than $500 for each offense. In addition to bringing a civil action for injunctive relief or any other relief provided by law, a person who is adversely affected by a violation of this act may bring a civil action for damages, including punitive damages and special damages, against the violator.

Statute in Full:

23:7A-1. Definitions

As used in this act:

“Taking” means to hunt, capture, kill, trap, catch, net, possess, or collect, or to attempt to hunt, capture, kill, trap, catch, net, possess, or collect, wildlife.

“Wildlife” means any wild mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, shellfish, mollusk, crustacean, or other wild animal, or any part, product, egg, or offspring, or the dead body or parts, thereof.

CREDIT(S)
L.1993, c. 11, 1, eff. Jan. 15, 1993.

23:7A-2. Hindering or preventing the lawful taking of wildlife prohibited; specific acts prohibited

No person may, for the purpose of hindering or preventing the lawful taking of wildlife:

a. block, obstruct, or impede, or attempt to block, obstruct, or impede, a person lawfully taking wildlife;

b. erect a barrier with the intent to deny ingress to or egress from areas where wildlife may be lawfully taken;

c. make, or attempt to make, unauthorized physical contact with a person lawfully taking wildlife;

d. engage in, or attempt to engage in, theft, vandalism, or destruction of personal or real property;

e. disturb or alter, or attempt to disturb or alter, the condition or authorized placement of personal or real property intended for use in the lawful taking of wildlife;

f. enter or remain upon public lands or waters, or upon private lands or waters without permission of the owner thereof or an agent of that landowner, where wildlife may be lawfully taken;

g. make or attempt to make loud noises or gestures, set out or attempt to set out animal baits, scents, or lures or human scent, use any other natural or artificial visual, aural, olfactory, or physical stimuli, or engage in or attempt to engage in any other similar action or activity, in order to disturb, alarm, drive, attract, or affect the behavior of wildlife or disturb, alarm, disrupt, or annoy a person lawfully taking wildlife; or

h. interject himself into the line of fire of a person lawfully taking wildlife.
Subsections a., b., e., f., and g. of this section shall not apply to a law enforcement officer or conservation officer enforcing the laws of this State or any local ordinance, or a private landowner or agent thereof on land or waters owned by that private landowner.

CREDIT(S)
L.1993, c. 11, 2, eff. Jan. 15, 1993.

23:7A-3. Violations; penalties; civil actions for injunctive relief, other relief provided by law and damages

a. The Director of the Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife may institute a civil action in the Superior Court for injunctive and other relief for a violation of this act, and the court may proceed in the action in a summary manner.

b. A person who violates this act shall be guilty of a petty disorderly persons offense.

c. A person who violates this act shall be liable to a civil penalty of not less than $100 nor more than $500 for each offense, to be collected in a summary proceeding under “the penalty enforcement law,” N.J.S. 2A:58-1 et seq. The Superior Court and the municipal court for the municipality in which the violation occurred shall have jurisdiction to enforce “the penalty enforcement law.”

d. For the purposes of subsections b. and c. of this section, if the violation is of a continuing nature, each day during which it continues shall constitute an additional, separate, and distinct offense.

e. In addition to bringing a civil action for injunctive relief or any other relief provided by law, a person who is adversely affected by a violation of this act may bring a civil action for damages, including punitive damages and special damages, against the violator. Special damages may include, but need not be limited to, expenditures of the affected person for license and permit fees, travel expenses, guide fees and expenses, and the cost of special equipment and supplies, to the extent any such expenditures were rendered futile by the action or activities of the violator.

CREDIT(S)
L.1993, c. 11, 3, eff. Jan. 15, 1993.

NEW JERSEY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
Copyright (c) 2015 by the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law

*** This file includes all Regulations adopted and published through the ***
*** New Jersey Register, Vol. 47, No. 1, January 5, 2015 ***

TITLE 7. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
CHAPTER 2. STATE PARK SERVICE CODE
SUBCHAPTER 8. BOATING/WATERCRAFT
N.J.A.C. 7:2-8.7 (2015)

7:2-8.7 Swimming and diving from objects, scuba diving, and skin diving

(a) A person shall not swim or dive from a pier, catwalk, bridge or tower on lands comprising part of a State Park and administered by the State Park Service for public recreation and/or conservation purposes or from any vessel on waters under the jurisdiction of the State Park Service without written approval by the Superintendent or designee.

(b) A person shall not scuba or skin dive in the waters under the jurisdiction or control of the State Park Service except in areas designated and posted for that purpose.

HISTORY:

Amended by R.2007 d.155, effective May 7, 2007.
See: 38 N.J.R. 4779(a), 39 N.J.R. 1701(a).

In (a), substituted "Superintendent or designee" for "area Officer-in-Charge".

(Snip) = Irrelevant material excluded.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
Billy Z
Live Action!

Very good. I'll be sure to review all these regulations and discuss them at the dive shop

Last edited by Billy Z; 03-03-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
Captain Howard

Hey I went to the Atlantic Spear and Scuba web site and I see they have a spearfishing contest. Whats that all about and how do I get in?
Captain Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
Hey I went to the Atlantic Spear and Scuba web site and I see they have a spearfishing contest. Whats that all about and how do I get in?
They have a sign up and usually a $10 entry fee. The money raised from the entry fee gets donated to a good cause. All you have to do is stop in to grab a copy of the contest rules and sign up.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Welcome to the board

Only unwritten rules I can think of at the moment are always be sure to give other divers enough room to be safe.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
FLETCHOSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howard View Post
Go to the shop and sighn a form. Money usually goes to great cause every year. You'll get a chance to win trophie (s), gear, and will allow you toot your ego and meet other divers.

There is a trophy for the largest fish in each class. The tournament is open to all and runs up until memorial day.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈ ╰━━ ┃
┣━━━━━━╯ ┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
FLETCHOSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote