Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Tournaments > CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championship

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
sacha58

Re: 2014 World Spearfishing Championships

Individual results:
http://www.apneamagazine.com/wp/store/CL1.jpg
http://www.apneamagazine.com/wp/store/CL2.jpg
http://www.apneamagazine.com/wp/store/CL3.jpg

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
Birdman

Who has the Translate button?
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #18
Ramon
Ramon

https://translate.google.com
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
Birdman

Awesome thank you!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Birdman

Was visibilty down or are fish numbers always low there in peru? Why do you think the spanish ran away with the victory?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #21
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Was visibilty down or are fish numbers always low there in peru? Why do you think the spanish ran away with the victory?
It seems to me, the finals standings represent the difficulty of taking a fish in the spearos home waters.

The spearos who have to dive deep, maximizing their bottom times and stalking skills just to get a shot off at small skittish fish are at the top, while the ones who don't have to dive as deep, hold their breath as long, or have easy prey at their hunting grounds are at the bottom.

Team USA needs to train in Spain for the next World Spearfishing Championships.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
415dvr

Well after all the hype and pandering for donations, I'm glad the US was able to help the Peruvians with their perch problem.
415dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Ramon
Ramon

Spain has three kinds of seas, North, East and South (North Sea heavy soil, East deep sea, deep sea South turbid medium and strong), choose the selection enters regularity
Fisherman chosen fishing area in a similar championship in the difficulty of the sea to which the fisherman must face.

The second day of trial in Peru was turbid water, few fish, sandy area and large swell, what Peruvians knew perfectly wisdom to know fishing techniques is very important.

Team USA must be run in different seas of its Country and forget about records, only worry about catching many fish in their daily catch of training, They are a great team
but they need more perfecting your kind of fishing
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #24
Ryfish

To me it seems what Ramon posted above is true. If you are a good spearo of that exact conditions and for that area you will do well. I cant imagine diving all day deep and dirty strong current water to shoot tiny fish and eels like the previos Worlds.

Who wants to dive that all the time, seems more like work then fun. Here is the U.S. we are lucky we got clear water for a lot of the country and big trophy fish to shot. No wonder we do shitty in the worlds, diving in mud shooting tiny fish and eels. Who wants to practice that when we can shot quality fish in quality conditions.

Funny thing I will mention there is a real good Spanish spearo from Spain that spears with me here in the States he is a great deep diver with long bottom times. Dives the Med and has even got bent freediving once as that is how deep and long he dives. But it took him two years to land his first Cobia here in the States in the bluewater off of Bull Sharks. I brought him numerous times too. It was a whole different animal for him shooting the bluewater and a big powerful fish like a Cobia off the bull sharks. Point being just cause a spearo is good at one type of diving for one weekend doesn't mean he is the best in the world at "all types" of spearing.

Last edited by Ryfish; 11-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Ryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
Marco

No matter where it is, Spain always win. They are the best. Period.

They won in Venezuela, which was held at Margarita Island, Caribbean. Similar conditions as in Florida.
They won in Tahiti, Chile, etc...

And I'm not from Spain.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415dvr View Post
Well after all the hype and pandering for donations, I'm glad the US was able to help the Peruvians with their perch problem.

Wow, what a well thought out but totally stupid thing to say. These guys worked really hard and spent mostly their own money to represent the US in the worlds. Show a little class and give them the respect they deserve for the effort they made.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #27
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415dvr View Post
^^ You are precisely why so many people have stopped posting on SB. Idiotic and disrespectful. Painfully clueless.

Ha.

Ryfish and Ramon are correct. Team USA faced some significant disadvantages... including team size. I think its an incredible show of fortitude to show up to that event with such a positive attitude and class. They are champs in my book. For USA to be able to compete w/ the best of worlds will take our country also supporting them like other countries support their divers. Its takes a lot of resource pooling to make a successful team... not just capable divers.

I have a LOT of respect for what our Team did despite the odds and diving conditions.

WAY TO TO ALEX, GREG, AND DAN!!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #28
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

You'll also find a lot of these teams consist of professional spearo's and are heavily funded by their governments. I know how hard our team worked raising funds to support their trip. Having arrived three weeks early to scout, hire a boat everyday and dive in an area that has been heavily fished out was going to make for a very tough competition. Congrats to Spain !! Congrats to Team USA for representing the USA in such a professional manner.

Last edited by U/C Spearo; 11-03-2014 at 08:33 PM.
U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #29
phil herranen

so why did so many guys only dive one day?

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #30
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Spain has three kinds of seas, North, East and South (North Sea heavy soil, East deep sea, deep sea South turbid medium and strong), choose the selection enters regularity
Fisherman chosen fishing area in a similar championship in the difficulty of the sea to which the fisherman must face.

The second day of trial in Peru was turbid water, few fish, sandy area and large swell, what Peruvians knew perfectly wisdom to know fishing techniques is very important.

Team USA must be run in different seas of its Country and forget about records, only worry about catching many fish in their daily catch of training, They are a great team
but they need more perfecting your kind of fishing
^ This ^

Im not knocking this years team but, here's my take on successful spearfishing:

Spearfishing is more than the mechanical tasks of diving deep and shooting fish. It is MENTAL combining everything from hunting, stalking, knowing fish and their environment, and having good situational awareness of the ocean and life in general. Ever wonder why there so many "older" guys in the sport and competing? Its because their life experiences are great and contribute more to their success than the mechanical tasks of diving and shooting fish.

I could get way into detail about all of this but it would take forever. Its about maximizing the resources you have to their fullest potential, not just one or 2 things. Did any of you watch the video of the diver that was posted? That guy was a machine, he wasnt doing 80-100 ft dives looking for one fish he was hunting and killing fish. He was maximizing his time and effort.

A friend and I just had this discussion. He's young and likes to dive deep, I told him I dont need to dive deeper than 60ft to find fish. He said he could dive to 80 and kick my ass. I explained that in the time it takes him to dive to 80 including the prep and recovery I could make multiple shallower dives with longer bottom times. That is maximizing resources.

To comp efficiently IMO divers must change this trophy attitude and get back to the basics of shooting fish. In these scenarios the US seems to be good at diving but seriously lacking in the fishing department. If our teams would get back to the basics of fishing, we would probably be challenging....
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote