Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #16
carrasco

Re: Some Might Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Seems like every officer has their own opinion in the measurement.

I think the best thing to do is if the gauge clicks over the carapace toss it back and let them make more babies.
Yup, agree and that is the rule on my boat. I make guest divers know beforehand.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 AM   #17
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
Wardens are Law Enforcement Officers like all others; there are good, knowledgeable and polite officers and there are outright imbeciles.

I have dealt with 95% of the former but the latter terribly overshadow the good. I offer a perfect example- His name is officer Luden. Should you every read this name on a DGW uniform, be very cautious-
he is either, grossly inept, corrupt, racist, all of the above or worse.

Officer Luden cited me for a short lobster he claims he threw back in the water before I or any of the 5 people on my boat could see it.
I of course went to court and mopped the floor with him, but it did cost me a day of work and all sorts of discomfort.

We should and must be respectful as possible as their job is not easy. However, they are in the business of kicking you in the gonads when you deserve it. So make sure you don't deserve it.

But, kick them just as hard if not harder when they are an officer "Luden" (name in place of expletive) and stand your ground.
There are some wardens/biologists that are just doing their job, they check your tags, measure your catch, and go about their business.
However, and I say this not as legal advice, and without prejudice:

If what you allege is true, Officer Luden, if that is his real name, is possibly liable (even criminally) for allegedly tossing a 'short' back - aren't there rules of evidence, destruction of evidence, and taking your property under color of authority? Did he admit to throwing back a lobster at your trial, in front of a judge? And didn't you say you have witnesses on your boat to that effect?
If so, please do us all a favor. Find an attorney and ask if you can press criminal charges against this guy. I'm guessing he has immunity against civil damages but probably not if he committed a crime?

WE are paying these guys to protect OUR fisheries. They work for US, and they should act like it.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #18
FishPinata

A clicker is when the gauge "clicks" into place. Your lobster was a clicker.
Your assessment of a "clicker" is absolutely incorrect hence you learnt nothing of lobster measurements in your forty-someodd years of lobster diving
FishPinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #19
Scuba Fever

Its people and posters like you that have made Spearboard much less valuable than it once was. I noticed that most of your "24" posts are negative and/or condescending. Until you can post something of value to the others on this forum, maybe you can keep your negative thoughts to yourself!!

Last edited by Scuba Fever; 02-19-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Scuba Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:52 PM   #20
Roger23043
Airframes

Fish and Game Wardens enforce hunting, boating, and recreational and commercial fishing laws. They enforce laws related to trapping, falconry, exotic animals, and endangered species. This seems pretty straightforward. He was asking you to bend to his will, not the law. You reached down and grabbed a pair. By law you were right. Good luck out there and measure twice! ��
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #21
FishPinata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Fever View Post
Its people and posters like you that have made Spearboard much less valuable than it once was. I noticed that most of your "24" posts are negative and/or condescending. Until you can post something of value to the others on this forum, maybe you can keep your negative thoughts to yourself!!
I did. I corrected you regarding something you were wrong about for over 40 years. Just think about that. 40 years and I fixed it. I trust you and the forum members would agree that you should be thanking me, as your risk of a ticket from F&W for your wrongful action has been diminished if not eliminated such that you take heed my advice.

Thank You.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:02 PM   #22
Scuba Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishPinata View Post
I did. I corrected you regarding something you were wrong about for over 40 years. Just think about that. 40 years and I fixed it. I trust you and the forum members would agree that you should be thanking me, as your risk of a ticket from F&W for your wrongful action has been diminished if not eliminated such that you take heed my advice.

Thank You.
Call the FnG office and you will realize how WRONG you are !
Old 03-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #23
FishPinata

Quote:
Call the FnG office and you will realize how WRONG you are !

By your logic, any undersized lobster would be a "clicker" since with any size illegal lobster, the gauge would click back and forth.

If there is even a "tiny tiny distance" as you put, it the lobster is illegal, not legal and you can get a ticket. That's not a clicker. A clicker is one where it snaps or "clicks" into place. It gives the fisherman an argument and a case because force must be applied to "click" the gauge into place. I am right, you are wrong, but continue to keep those shorts and get yourself a ticket, big boi.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #24
Scuba Fever

[quote=FishPinata;2206828]By your logic, any undersized lobster would be a "clicker" since with any size illegal lobster, the gauge would click back and forth.

THATS EXACTLY CORRECT! THIS HAS BEEN THE UNDERSTANDING FOR THE 50 YEARS IVE BEEN DIVING!! IT MAKES NO SENSE YOUR WAY!!
Old 03-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #25
FishPinata

[quote=Scuba Fever;2206829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishPinata View Post
By your logic, any undersized lobster would be a "clicker" since with any size illegal lobster, the gauge would click back and forth.

THATS EXACTLY CORRECT! THIS HAS BEEN THE UNDERSTANDING FOR THE 50 YEARS IVE BEEN DIVING!! IT MAKES NO SENSE YOUR WAY!!
- A "clicker' makes the legality of a lobster questionable.
- A 1/4 inch gap between the gauge would not make it questionable.
- My version of a clicker (the real version) often gets argued in court and often wins in court because the defendant often has a case and defense.
- A citation for one of your clickers with a 1/4 gap would get signed on site and plead guilty in court since the offender would have no defense.

Big difference. I'm right, you're wrong, 50 years of diving doesn't give you expert status. You're a moron.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:06 PM   #26
Scuba Fever

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220324_094228.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	247855  
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #27
carrasco

Quote:
This is valuable and closes the argument. I have thrown out countless lobsters over the years that were legal, mine and others on my boat that have argued this point and lost (my boat, my rules).

I don't know that it really makes much difference to me though; if it passes the carapace, its going free because all it takes a little more time to find a larger one.

This has been a valuable post and Scuba Fever is right with regards to the condescending responses. A little humor is good but we are all really tired of being attacked for posting.

Lets continue keeping it constructive and enjoyable.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #28
Bob Ballew

...One old timer final opinion: How you measure is very important if you take barely legal-size bugs...hook the measuring device in the crevice between the eyes first, making sure it goes all the way down...then, the tail end..
....Why? Hooking the tail first, then the head leads to mistakes when the gage barely hits the space between the eyes...Next, unless you keep bugs in saltwater, the shell starts drying out and can shrink just enough to cause a combination of errors to result...hence, the reason to err on the positive side by filing your gage opening to be a little larger than the minimum required....
...Another issue of concern is for the health of the resource....most of the Catalina inside lobster I am seeing are just barely legal..not a good sign for long term prospects, as the pressure is increasing more each year from hooping and guys who are selling by illegally using a sport license to do commercial fishing...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-28-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #29
Scuba Fever

Old 04-16-2022, 11:00 PM   #30
PigStikr
The Stalker

Well I have a gauge with separate notches for red, pink, green, and black lobsters. Virtually all the red lobsters seem to be 'clickers' - i.e. don't fill the red gauge.
So are 'clickers' legal to take or not?