Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
jbutah

Blue water spearfishing questions

Got a few questions for you guys who freedive and shoot pelagics (not neccesarily bluewater) in the water coloumn in the gulf.

I have been freeshafting on the bottom for grouper snapper etc. for years now. Lately though, I have been tempted to jump in when we come across weed lines and action on the surface. What approach do most of you take, Gun with a reel and no bouy? or gun, no reel and a bouy? Generally we are in 80-110 feet of water with occasional trips to the middle grounds.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by jbutah; 08-05-2008 at 02:49 PM.
jbutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Re: Blue water spearfishing questions

The easiest is a float line attatched to your spear with a friction eye, and a breakaway rig with floatie, boat fender or foam float. That way your gun stays in your hand, and if nothing is that big, you just pull him up, if too big it breaks away, and you follow the float, fight it and bring it up. But the size of some of these fish you could use a reel attached to your gun. I hate it when you see big pelagics either down there while your diving, or coming up in the mid coloum you see big king, cobia or permit and are freeshafting. It usually goes right through the kings without a line, and they take off. I have been lucky a few times with AJs, and big permit freeshafting, but I wouldnt recommend it. Another thing is to have a flasher line, which is a bunch of spoons, cut up CDs strung up, anything to attract fish hanging from the boat. Chum is a real good idea too, if you plan for it. Big wrecks are good, big artificial reefs can be, and the best is big humps in deep water. The current hits them, and schools of bait fish and stuff are feeding on plankton, and the bigger fish are feeding on them, forever. The 2 I know of are in the Keys- the Islamorda humps, and a lesser degree the Marathon humps. There are others, but I dont have the names and stuff now. Bluewater here is not like on the other coast South of West Palm and down past the Keys. There you go out 5-10 miles and your in it. Here you must go out a ways to get good big bluewater stuff with any regularity, like 50 miles or more.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
seguyette
Starving Student

Any good spots off of largo?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
hog hunter 12
Piscivore

your not going to find much in 100 feet..Maybe tripletail,kings, and chicken dolphin

Last edited by hog hunter 12; 08-04-2008 at 10:35 PM.
hog hunter 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
jbutah

Thats mainly what I am thinking, small dolphin, amberjack and maybe kings, possibly Cobia. Thanks for all the info so far. Occasionally we run to the middle grounds, so maybe some more possibilities out there. Just looking for something new to try.
jbutah is offline   Reply With Quote