Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
jfjf

New Pole Spear Slip tip from MAKO

I got a new slip tip to test recently from Dano at MAKO.

I got to use it on my roller pole spear for a few days in the Bahamas; unfortunately my GoPro wasn't working or capturing all the video when I thought it was, so only got a tiny bit of video of the product in action.

I didn't shoot anything over about 12 lbs, but it held fish VERY well and it got burried into the coral several times (bad shots) with zero damage. On one epically bad shot, I ended up with me swimming an 8-lb rock to the surface with a slip tip embedded in it. Took a good bit of effort to free it, but it didn't even dull the tip. I was really bummed there was no video of that screw up.

I kinda doubt there would have been zero effect on the tip if I shot a solid steel wreck or hard granite rock, but it sure held up to the limestone reef base extremely well.

In any regard, I was using a 2-ft long injector rod (which is supposed to be added to their website soon) and the standard tip with dynema and a rigging system that uses a rubber band and an oring which hold the tip very securely. This rigging system is not simple to explain, but it makes removal of fish from the slip tip quite easy. This rigging is not unique to MAKO, but is only applicable to pole spears.

Based on one 3-day trip, I can highly recommend this tip, plus the price is actually very reasonable.

https://makospearguns.com/mako-quick...ear-slip-tips/
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:54 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: New Pole Spear Slip tip from MAKO

I found some video I thought I lost

Old 08-26-2023, 10:17 PM   #3
parker

What is the thread size of the injector rod? Any update on when 2-ft injector rods will be available? Thank you.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:09 AM   #4
jfjf

I'm about 99% sure the threaded end is 5/16" just like MAKO's other extension rods. As for availability, I'm not really sure, I sent Dano an Email on both questions.