Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Kraken
I am the sea

Re: Crist or Gat Ku?

In most cases I roll with an 11fter but it can easily be broken down to a 6-8fter if need be!

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
Teamdiesel

11ft!! And I thought the 7fter would be too big for me! I will be getting the riffe spear this week and don't know what size to get. I will be shooting in 40ft max, around reefs, and in 80% visibility. I will be targeting small reef fish like parrotfish, snapper, and smaller groupers in the 10lb range. What size polespear do you recommend for this type of diving?
Teamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Agasiorek3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamdiesel View Post
11ft!! And I thought the 7fter would be too big for me! I will be getting the riffe spear this week and don't know what size to get. I will be shooting in 40ft max, around reefs, and in 80% visibility. I will be targeting small reef fish like parrotfish, snapper, and smaller groupers in the 10lb range. What size polespear do you recommend for this type of diving?
I pm'ed nolan (kraken) and he said for me, a riffe would be over kill unless im in the bahams shooting thirty plus pound grouper. I listed the same type of fish that I was going after and he said the head hunter is perfect for that
Agasiorek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
Teamdiesel

Isn't the Head Hunter a thicker more robust spear? And I really don't want a slip tip setup. Been there and hated it with my seas stringer.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Agasiorek3

From what I remember, he said the riffe is heavier and he also said the head hunter slip tip is like none that hes ever seen and says its the best on the market
Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
Kraken
I am the sea

I agree with you...the sea stinger tip is a joke. Ive seen many fish lost because the slip tip completely failed. The tip is easily broken too. The headhunter is much thinner and more flexible than the riffe. The riffe can obviously take down all those fish you mentioned but if you wanted to save some money, the headhunter will work great too. anywhere around an 8ft spear is ideal. We just use those long ones while hunting deep, and for big grouper. If you are dead set on not getting an slip tip, then a gatku or riffe is fine but I promise you once you see the headhunter set up, all your headaches will go away. Its so simple to use and Ive never once been frustrated by it.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
Teamdiesel

I made up my mind and got a riffe 7ft polespear with flopper. If the headhunters had a flopper shaft then I would have went that way instead. Should get it wet this weekend.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
Teamdiesel

So I got the riffe 7ft polespear and want to know what you guys use to keep the segments from unscrewing when in use. I had to use crazy glue on my sea stringer cause it kept unscrewing everytime I fire the spear.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Kraken
I am the sea

teflon tape works great but if you plan on breaking it down quite a bit just keep a pair of vice grips or channel locks on the boat to tighten it up. The cool thing about the riffe segments is the little slots built into the stainless ends that let you tighten it down with pliers without damaging any of the carbon.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
Teamdiesel

Cool, thanks. The riffe seems well made and constructed. Can't wait to get it wet but i will definitely get the Headhunters sliptip for bluewater days.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
jujitsu4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnpperWhisperer View Post
If you are chasing fish 20+ most of the time, the crist is the one for you. An awesome spear for bigger game. If less than 20, gat-ku, which is totally different and great for reef fish.
I have both and they are my favourite spears (both of them) depending on what I Am chasing.
you asked a simple question and is by far the best answer one could ask for. Regarding the other brands mentioned. The whole "Carbon will break" thing, I'm gan a call BS there, I've shot crap load of rocks <cuz i suck> and I promise you, know one sucks more than me, and have yet to have any issues with my 9ft riffe. Cam still has his and beat to hell as it is <from harpooning Gator's> it still works great. Headhunter I can only go by what I hear, 1. the owner is a REALLY great guy to work with and deal with. 2. never meet someone who didn't LOVE there Headhunter.
Hope this helps, best of luck, dive safe
jujitsu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #27
Agasiorek3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujitsu4me View Post
you asked a simple question and is by far the best answer one could ask for. Regarding the other brands mentioned. The whole "Carbon will break" thing, I'm gan a call BS there, I've shot crap load of rocks <cuz i suck> and I promise you, know one sucks more than me, and have yet to have any issues with my 9ft riffe. Cam still has his and beat to hell as it is <from harpooning Gator's> it still works great. Headhunter I can only go by what I hear, 1. the owner is a REALLY great guy to work with and deal with. 2. never meet someone who didn't LOVE there Headhunter.
Hope this helps, best of luck, dive safe
Haha I bet there are people worse than you out there and yeah lol cams crazy. Im either going to end up with a riffe or headhunter, I'll be doing a class with cam this weekend so I'll be asking a lot of questions about it and see if he can sell me haha
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
jujitsu4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agasiorek3 View Post
Haha I bet there are people worse than you out there and yeah lol cams crazy. Im either going to end up with a riffe or headhunter, I'll be doing a class with cam this weekend so I'll be asking a lot of questions about it and see if he can sell me haha
Nice man!!! Tell him "the Mercenary in Cali said you Suck!"
You'll love his class, great guy.
Dive safe
jujitsu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
Agasiorek3

Haha alright I will and yeah I can't wait!!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
BradThornbrough

Hey guys, Brad from Headhunter here. Lots of great points made. There is a huge difference between a Gatku and a Crist. Totally different types of polespears. The crist is a thick, heavy aluminum spear. it is super strong but also slower do to its size and weight. The Gatku is much thinner, lighter, faster and the front half is composite. But is isn't as strong as the Crist.

As for the Headhunter Predator, it is all composite construction. So it is lighter than either of those. I make my spears out of a carbon/e-glass mix to achieve a good strength/weight/stiffness balance. But these spears are designed for performance. I wanted speed and range from a polespear. A super-strong spear doesn't do you any good if you never get it into a fish. And just because a composite spear is not as strong as a piece of solid aluminum, doesn't mean it cant handle big fish. I have landed fish up to 70 lbs with a predator spear. And three cobia world records were on a predator, up to 50 lbs!! But all those spears are good products and you have to find the one that fits your style of diving. And keep in mind that you can use different tips on different spears, so don't let tip choice limit you.
BradThornbrough is offline   Reply With Quote