Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
manoa matt

Rollie-Pollie: Roller pole spear

Worked this up last night, still needs some sanding, polishing, and rigging. Uses a 3/8" band.

Aloha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070035.jpg
Views:	1252
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	204238   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070037.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	204239  
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Re: Rollie-Pollie: Roller pole spear

Doesnt look like it will work. No power to the spear.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
manoa matt

Not done yet. I've got to rig it up similar to the picture below. The band will be attached to the spear about a foot or so from the roller end. It should allow you to pull from the entire length of the spear in lieu of a traditional pole spear that only allows about 2/3's useful length. Downside is that you can't spiral twist the band.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_04831.5560701_std.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	204249  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

cool, keep us updated on how it works out!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
isibrigade
Dustin McIntyre

Let us know how she works out!
Aaron Crist and I worked on a couple roller-pollers years ago and had some fun with them. The one pictured below, held by Kevin Jones, is a prototype we were testing out with some offshore hunting. On this one as well as the one that Aaron designed, the band is internal. It proved to have plenty of power and lengthy draw, but a little difficult to track with. I designed it so that any GAT-KU front section could be attached to it. Perhaps I should go back and revisit the idea. . .

www.GATKU.com
www.CRISTSPEARS.com
isibrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
manoa matt

Thanks for the reply. It was the Crist pole spear pictured in my 2nd post above and the Yves Le Prieur 1939 patent that spurred me to make one. That plus it was a fast and easy build, and I like to build experimental stuff.

I remember from a roller pole spear post a while back where you and Phil H. were talking about the limitations of the design, specifically with regards to the band being internal to the spear. I guess the optimal setup would be like you constructed where the band is internal to the spear. So that upon release, your hand does not stop on the band anchor point that would be on the outside of the spear shaft. How much oversize is the tube compared to the tube to allow for the water to escape, or are there water exit holes?

If you care to discuss any findings, design considerations, or limitations either here or via PM I'm all ears, and would love to hear them.

Aloha Matt
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

I've made them with internal and external bands. Haven't messed around with the idea in a while.
They seem to work best with lighter spears. The spear in your first pic was one I made for my regular big game spears. It didn't perform as well as the same spear with a regular band.
I've made one roller spear likeep the one Dustin made that ran 12'.

Phill had a good design for one but I'll let him chime in.

If your going with a heavy pole a twin roller with 1/2" speargun bands would give it a good pop. If you can't go this route use the biggest diameter speargun band that will work with your roller.
The spears shouldn't be twisted and having an external band you'll get used to it by modifying your release.

You also need to watch out for the spear coming back at you and hitting your hand.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
manoa matt

Thought I'd show how I rigged it. I used an old camera strap for the hand hold. The band position can be adjusted to give more or less band stretch and even some pre-load if desired. The 1/2" dia. fiberglass rod is a bit heavy which makes for slow shots, but someone recently gave it to me and its the only pole spear I have. If I can get a 1/2" graphite or carbon fiber rod I think it would be much faster. Also 6' is a bit short, 8' would probably be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090057.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	209924   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090058.jpg
Views:	1854
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	209925   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090059.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	209926  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
AdamAquatic

Interesting! Did the external band traveling with the pole through the water cause enough drag to ultimately kill the idea of putting any of these into production?
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

NIce! With proper band and stretch ratio you'll be able to get that spear moving quicker.
Let us know the size and length of rubber, loop length,and how far up the pole you draw the band (grip).

Good for you on building your own. Not too many guys working on polespears and slings.

It's aLso nice to see some real content in this section, not your typical who makes the best what
Old 09-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Cool idea till that thing flies back at you. Or you get your wrist hung up

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

If it's not an internal roller, the extra contracting band down the whole length of the pole would create a lot of resistance. That band doubles the size of the pole spear cross sectional diameter.

C
Old 09-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

I just don't see it working, now maybe a roller sling! That could work

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
manoa matt

Here is another one of my builds, appreciate hearing your thoughts on how it should, could, would work.....or not.

http://www.hawaiiskindiver.com/commu...iian+slingshot

BTW do you guys have any builds?
Old 09-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Ive made plenty of these. I spent $1500 for a provisional patent so I figure before I spent that dough I would have a good working model.
Come to find out, some french dude invented it back in mid '40's.

Yes it does work, and there are designs out there that work well and when you have a releasing roller on a very thin medium weight spear, shots are well past what a normal spearo using an average spear can take.

I really like designing gear and seeing what I can create and make. I do have a ton of gimmicks I've came up. Fun to design and mess around with, but does it really improve the spear?
The roller works well on lighter spears but the drawback is it will bust your knuckles. I even made one that had two water brakes on it(huge floppers) so the spear wouldn't come back and smack my hand. It worked, but its so stars wars looking it just not a polespear anymore.

Since I don’t have any plans to make these here is a list of roller spears ive designed and built and tested.

1. Test bed was a 6' JBL. This spear I gave to a friend in Alabama. Single 1/2" speargun band ran inside with loop grip. It has a single roller and works.

2. 6' test spear I’ve been using to test grips, band attachments, shaft attachment, shafts, tips, bands and roller attachment. I made internal/external banded roller spears with this spear. The roller attachments are all screw on and the user could switch from regular to roller in a manner of seconds.

3. 2pc test spear of lengths from 4' to 10' pole length. These spears had a host of band configurations. Best to date was internal band that only had 1.8mm spectra tied to the looped grip and ran on a supper efficient roller that cause no external drag.

4. "Black Mamba" this was a 1" x 5' carbon tube the Dustin from Gatku sent me to mess around with. I used this to make 7' to 14' spears with. This thing is cannon when I used a single 3/4" speargun band drawn to 400% (100lb+ draw) internal band and a single simple spectra line and roller. I would have to say there has never been a more powerful spear made.

5. Double roller with 5/16” bands. Lightweight spear (kids spear).

WHen the spear is shot, internal bands cause a drawback when the band are relaxed. They push water out of the way when the band goes back to normal size. All bands do this, but when confined there is a noticeable resistance. I cut longitudinal slots to combat this, and it works but the slits cause drag and this also weakens the spear.

External bands are easiest to design make and use. Down side is drag on with the band and band getting in the way.

I did work on two ideas I had, a spear with a spring instead of a band and an air chamber under pressure. I got half way with the air chamber when I realized I was becoming obsessed and threw it in the corner.

These are most of what I have done; feel free to keep it going. But a simple spear it won’t be, and that’s why I don’t mess with them anymore.